Lawyer search by undergrad and law school?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Lawyer search by undergrad and law school?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:48 pm

Hi all --

I'm attempting to do a bit of networking by contacting alums of both my TTT undergrad and my t14 law school (a rare combo). Does anyone know of any sites that allows me to search by both of those, or any suggestions on how to manipulate a search engine into showing me such results?

The online alumni directory doesn't allow for searching by undergrad. The hard copy does, but given there are 30,000 names and tiny font, it's really really tough to do that.

Thanks!

GATORTIM

Re: Lawyer search by undergrad and law school?

Postby GATORTIM » Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:57 pm

have you tried the Google?

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:58 pm

Try using google and linkedin.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:59 pm

GATORTIM wrote:have you tried the Google?

Google doesn't allow proximity searching, at least not the normal way (meaning I get results with both Law School and UG anywhere on the page).

All of the ones that come up on linkedin are private.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:00 pm

If linkedin gives you their name can't you then just use the alumni directory?

EDIT: This also just seems really odd and not worth the time to single out people who went to both your UG and law school.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:05 pm

bk1 wrote:If linkedin gives you their name can't you then just use the alumni directory?

EDIT: This also just seems really odd and not worth the time to single out people who went to both your UG and law school.

Linkedin only gives their position generally, not their name.

And given the rarity of going from my UG to my law school (I'd guesstimate the number at less than 50 over the past 75 years), it is actually a pretty strong networking tool. It has worked well for me in the past.

Mike12188

Postby Mike12188 » Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
bk1 wrote:If linkedin gives you their name can't you then just use the alumni directory?

And given the rarity of going from my UG to my law school (I'd guesstimate the number at less than 50 over the past 75 years), it is actually a pretty strong networking tool. It has worked well for me in the past.

If you've done it in the past, why are you asking how to do it?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:12 pm

Mike12188 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

If you've done it in the past, why are you asking how to do it?

The hard copy does, but given there are 30,000 names and tiny font, it's really really tough to do that.

In order to find people, I have to manually search every 8 pt font name in every city. It's not sorted by undergrad. So, for example, I'd have to look at New York City and scroll through the thousands of alums of my law school in NYC and pick out those from my undergrad. I was looking for an easier method.

LjakW

Postby LjakW » Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:17 am

Use Lexis.
Go to search by source and then Martindale-Hubbell Listings (located on bottom-right of the page).

Code: Select all

COLLEGE(Podunk) and LAW-SCHOOL(Yale)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:01 pm

LjakW wrote:Use Lexis.
Go to search by source and then Martindale-Hubbell Listings (located on bottom-right of the page).

Code: Select all

COLLEGE(Podunk) and LAW-SCHOOL(Yale)

Thank you!

OperaSoprano

Postby OperaSoprano » Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Seconded that it is very useful. Martindale says there are eight practicing attorneys in the entire country who went from my UG to any law school. Five are in New York. I would never have found them without a similar search. You can also use the expanded version of Martindale which is likely installed on the computers in your career services office.

savagecheater

Postby savagecheater » Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:44 pm

2 month-old bump, but it's relevant.

There's uh...2, total, in the nation, that went to both my UG and my LS, according to Martindale. Apparently, according to the registrar at my LS, there's a 2012'er who'll be #3.

Would it be that strange to send the two alumni an email out of the blue, just to get in touch, ask them a couple questions?

I have to imagine that it's not a call they'd receive often; my only problem is that one of them majored in a hard science (one that could not be possibly more distinct from my ug major) and thus I'm not sure how much we'd have in common in that regard.

kurla88

Postby kurla88 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:49 pm

savagecheater wrote:2 month-old bump, but it's relevant.

There's uh...2, total, in the nation, that went to both my UG and my LS, according to Martindale. Apparently, according to the registrar at my LS, there's a 2012'er who'll be #3.

Would it be that strange to send the two alumni an email out of the blue, just to get in touch, ask them a couple questions?

I have to imagine that it's not a call they'd receive often; my only problem is that one of them majored in a hard science (one that could not be possibly more distinct from my ug major) and thus I'm not sure how much we'd have in common in that regard.

Can't hurt.

Return to “Legal Employment”