impolite interviewer Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: impolite interviewer

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:26 pm

I had an interviewer during OCI who kept the TV on the entire time. No joke.

spanktheduck

Bronze

Post by spanktheduck » Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I had an interviewer during OCI who kept the TV on the entire time. No joke.
This and the feet on the desk story are examples of rude interviewers (although, perhaps they just wanted to see how you would react), not the other ones.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:37 pm

Had an interviewer fart several times. I had to sit in a small room while she kept farting just to get rejected.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Had an interviewer fart several times. I had to sit in a small room while she kept farting just to get rejected.
LOL!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:44 pm

spanktheduck wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I had an interviewer during OCI who kept the TV on the entire time. No joke.
This and the feet on the desk story are examples of rude interviewers (although, perhaps they just wanted to see how you would react), not the other ones.
Nah, the interviewer was a real jerk generally. Asked me some personal questions would prefer not to get into, too. I reported it to OCS afterward (I would generally never do this as I am normally pretty laidback, but it was a terribly rude interview).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Pablo Ramirez

Bronze

Post by Pablo Ramirez » Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
spanktheduck wrote:
Nah, the interviewer was a real jerk generally. Asked me some personal questions would prefer not to get into, too. I reported it to OCS afterward (I would generally never do this as I am normally pretty laidback, but it was a terribly rude interview).
FYI: "How big is your dong?" is a perfectly legitimate interview question.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
spanktheduck wrote:
Haha, not like that. Other stuff.

thickfreakness

Silver

Post by thickfreakness » Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote: Nah, the interviewer was a real jerk generally. Asked me some personal questions would prefer not to get into, too. I reported it to OCS afterward (I would generally never do this as I am normally pretty laidback, but it was a terribly rude interview).
FYI: "Ask your wife/mom." is a perfectly legitimate answer.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I had an interviewer go to the bathroom (this was in a hotel) and take a HUGE dump during the interview. No joke. Couldn't wait to get of there.
I can one-up this. I had an interviewer take my resume to the restroom and peruse it whilst shitting. Not joking.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Tsispilos

Bronze

Post by Tsispilos » Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I had an interviewer go to the bathroom (this was in a hotel) and take a HUGE dump during the interview. No joke. Couldn't wait to get of there.
I can one-up this. I had an interviewer take my resume to the restroom and peruse it whilst shitting. Not joking.
hey, at least he didn't shit right there on the floor in front of you, use your resume as toilet paper, and then hand it back to you saying "this is an accurate assessment of your worth as a human being." it could always be worse.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:46 pm

An interviewer asked me to describe a project I did during the summer. When I described it, he said "oh, well that sounded easy." Also, his very first question during the interview was "what other firms are you interviewing with today and when?" Then he hammered me with questions for 20 minutes. Needless to say, I got the ding today via snail mail.

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:36 am

I got told specifically where I should be interviewing instead of at a law firm, with the implication I was not qualified for a firm job, and have been asked repeatedly what I am doing at my law school, in basically that exact language. This is despite the fact that my grades and school are in line for the firms I chose. I would be thrilled to get constructive criticism, if it was specific and referenced things I could do. Blanket hostility is just not very useful. I do think these are stress tests, though, and I respond with a pleasant smile.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:26 am

OperaSoprano wrote:I got told specifically where I should be interviewing instead of at a law firm, with the implication I was not qualified for a firm job, and have been asked repeatedly what I am doing at my law school, in basically that exact language. This is despite the fact that my grades and school are in line for the firms I chose. I would be thrilled to get constructive criticism, if it was specific and referenced things I could do. Blanket hostility is just not very useful. I do think these are stress tests, though, and I respond with a pleasant smile.
Though I'm sure there are interviewers who are hostile, I think it is really important to expect to be challenged on why you are at law school if you have a quirky resume. It isn't just a stress test for them to grill you on it. The cost of hiring a summer associate runs big law firms something like $100-200k by the time you take in recruiting, salary, overhead, costs of the summer program (including events and all of the billables that are directed to the program). It is well known that a lot of people take SA jobs for the money, with no intention of ever returning to BigLaw. In boom economies, firms didn't worry about that much. The money wasn't a huge factor and the good will generated by these people passing on to the next class how great the firm was made up for the loss. ITE, summer programs have been slashed, money is a factor and firms are hiring with the goal of higher yields from SAs to actual associates.

If you've got a quirky resume (and I have one), you have to tailor everything about the way you present yourself to address the why law school/why big law and know some firms won't get past it. Generally, though, you can set up the argument in the way you describe jobs on your resume and be very proactive in addressing the issue in the interview. I hardly ever waited for the issue to be brought up. I would work the answer to "why are you doing this" into very early questions, not always directly, but in ways that showed that I was aware of the issue and had a good answer to it.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote:I got told specifically where I should be interviewing instead of at a law firm, with the implication I was not qualified for a firm job, and have been asked repeatedly what I am doing at my law school, in basically that exact language. This is despite the fact that my grades and school are in line for the firms I chose. I would be thrilled to get constructive criticism, if it was specific and referenced things I could do. Blanket hostility is just not very useful. I do think these are stress tests, though, and I respond with a pleasant smile.
Though I'm sure there are interviewers who are hostile, I think it is really important to expect to be challenged on why you are at law school if you have a quirky resume. It isn't just a stress test for them to grill you on it. The cost of hiring a summer associate runs big law firms something like $100-200k by the time you take in recruiting, salary, overhead, costs of the summer program (including events and all of the billables that are directed to the program). It is well known that a lot of people take SA jobs for the money, with no intention of ever returning to BigLaw. In boom economies, firms didn't worry about that much. The money wasn't a huge factor and the good will generated by these people passing on to the next class how great the firm was made up for the loss. ITE, summer programs have been slashed, money is a factor and firms are hiring with the goal of higher yields from SAs to actual associates.

If you've got a quirky resume (and I have one), you have to tailor everything about the way you present yourself to address the why law school/why big law and know some firms won't get past it. Generally, though, you can set up the argument in the way you describe jobs on your resume and be very proactive in addressing the issue in the interview. I hardly ever waited for the issue to be brought up. I would work the answer to "why are you doing this" into very early questions, not always directly, but in ways that showed that I was aware of the issue and had a good answer to it.
This advice is superb. There are indications in my resume that I might be very interested in academia -- I come right out and talk about why I want to work at firms... Also, my resume has shown nothing to support an interest in the law practiced by a small boutique firm -- I've still been able to be successful by being very active in my answer to "Why us?" in showing how my background can contribute to the work + why I'm interested but haven't had a chance to express that interest before.

If you know there are certain questions that you're going to get, you should plan for them and be proactive in answering them... Be reasonable about it in the sense that you should wait for them to ask, but don't hold back once it's asked, and it will be asked in almost every interview. Don't be defensive -- be positive, but be focused as to your reasons for wanting this kind of work. In a sense you have it easier since you're going to be able to spend a lot of your conversation on this ground where you should be comfortable, practiced, and prepared, and it will shape the course of the rest of your interview.

bigben

Silver

Post by bigben » Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:One interviewer ridiculed one of the interests listed on my resume and then accused me of making it up to sound intellectual. Lovely way to start an interview.
That sounds more like joking around of the "I'm giving you a hard time" variety.

One interviewer said about one of my interests/hobbies, "What's so difficult/impressive about [that activity]?"

I went on to describe it. Gave me a chance to show knowledge and passion about something.

Objection

Silver

Post by Objection » Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:33 pm

Some of you guys really need to develop thicker skin.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Some of you guys really need to develop thicker skin.

TV on during the interview, too?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Yep.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Yep.

IDK. That is rude, in my book.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Yep.

IDK. That is rude, in my book.
Lesson: You're going to come across a lot of rude people as a lawyer. Are you going to cry about it on the inside and let it affect you, or are you going to suck it up and still kickass?

If you can't at least pretend the latter, you're not getting the callback.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Lesson: You're going to come across a lot of rude people as a lawyer. Are you going to cry about it on the inside and let it affect you, or are you going to suck it up and still kickass?

Of course I sucked it up, bro. Doesn't detract from the rudeness.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Did he watch TV instead of talking to you? Was the sound on? Maybe he was just testing your ability to focus.

NYAssociate

Silver

Post by NYAssociate » Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:19 pm

Last edited by NYAssociate on Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Did he watch TV instead of talking to you? Was the sound on? Maybe he was just testing your ability to focus.

He did both.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

He did both.

He was probably watching Judge Judy. Biglaw fucktards just love that show.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”