impolite interviewer Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

impolite interviewer

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:55 am

Few anecdotal stories from friends at my t14:
1) said candidate was terrific, then repeatedly pointed finger at transcript saying that was a no-no
2) said candidate was great, then flat out said, hiring committee isn't going to like where you attended 1L year
3) said candidate was very good, then said, maybe you should apply again as a lateral - if you go on to graduate with honors
4) said candidate was not going to get a job at a big law firm, and should consider some other areas within the law

#4 was a ridiculous comment, given that this friend has a couple of callbacks scheduled with a v100.
Most interestingly, 1+4 were the same v25 firm.

Interested to see if you guys had some really tactless, cold, rude jerks interview you.

Anonymous User

Re: impolite interviewer

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:22 am

Had an interviewer start checking his e-mail on his iPad - which was out on the table between us - during our interview.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:23 am

had screener w/ v5. interviewer says "your resume looks great but I just don't think i can sell you academically to the hiring committee." I was top 1%/t30. She was serious. Got the snail mail ding about a week later.

D. H2Oman

Platinum

Post by D. H2Oman » Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:36 am

Yeah I hate it when people are honest with me, sorry you guys had to deal with that.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:50 am

D. H2Oman wrote:Yeah I hate it when people are honest with me, sorry you guys had to deal with that.
You can be both impolite and honest. It's a matter of tact. :roll:

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

D. H2Oman

Platinum

Post by D. H2Oman » Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:02 am

Anonymous User wrote:
D. H2Oman wrote:Yeah I hate it when people are honest with me, sorry you guys had to deal with that.

I look forward to your next thread:

Anonymous Jackass 2 wrote:
Anonymous Jackass 1 wrote:Anyone else have interviews that went really well, but they didn't get a callback?? Maybe my resume had a typo :(

+1, so confused

and when they say you're "terrific....but" or "you should reapply as a lateral!" That's just them being polite, they don't really mean that, sorry to ruin the fantasy.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:10 am

D. H2Oman wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I look forward to your next thread:

Anonymous Jackass 2 wrote:
Anonymous Jackass 1 wrote:Anyone else have interviews that went really well, but they didn't get a callback?? Maybe my resume had a typo :(

+1, so confused

and when they say you're "terrific....but" or "you should reapply as a lateral!" That's just them being polite, they don't really mean that, sorry to ruin the fantasy.
I was, in fact, the commenter whose anecdote was about the interviewer constantly checking his e-mail. Regardless, telling someone that they're not going to get a BigLaw job is rude, particularly considering that (a) the OP's friend actually received CBs from firms and (b) that kind of comment can shake your confidence and throw off your game for succeeding interviews that day.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:02 am

Had an interviewer spend the last 10 minutes of a 20 minute screener explain everything I did wrong during the interview. I was pissed for 10 minutes or so after, until I realized he just did me a HUGE favor. Some of these appear the same way to me.

THe checking email thing is absurd though. Just disrespectful to the candidate and the firm which he's supposed to be helping hire.

KMaine

Silver

Post by KMaine » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:20 am

Anonymous User wrote:Had an interviewer spend the last 10 minutes of a 20 minute screener explain everything I did wrong during the interview. I was pissed for 10 minutes or so after, until I realized he just did me a HUGE favor. Some of these appear the same way to me.
This is a great point. I probably would have changed things up if that had happened to me (especially if, after some thought, I believed their criticisms had merit).
Last edited by KMaine on Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:34 am

here is a precious gem for ya-- interviewer put his feet up on the table, at about 2 feet away from my face. his buttons and ties were undone. couldn't have looked more bored

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:48 am

I had an interviewer go to the bathroom (this was in a hotel) and take a HUGE dump during the interview. No joke. Couldn't wait to get of there.

D. H2Oman

Platinum

Post by D. H2Oman » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:54 am

Anonymous User wrote:I had an interviewer go to the bathroom (this was in a hotel) and take a HUGE dump during the interview. No joke. Couldn't wait to get of there.

Little curious about how you know what exactly he did......did make you finish in the interview in the bathroom or something???

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:57 am

D. H2Oman wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I had an interviewer go to the bathroom (this was in a hotel) and take a HUGE dump during the interview. No joke. Couldn't wait to get of there.

Little curious about how you know what exactly he did......did make you finish in the interview in the bathroom or something???
No the interview was in a small hotel room...you could hear what went on pretty easily.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:58 am

I didn't know what sensitive babies we had on TLS until it came to OCI.

Tsispilos

Bronze

Post by Tsispilos » Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:34 pm

I had an interviewer who looked at my transcript (top 1/3 t14) and before we even sat down he just patted me on the back and said "you know, i couldn't have gotten a job in this economy either." I actually kind of appreciated the frankness--but if I were that interviewer, I probably would have walked on eggshells a bit more seeing as how half of my class is basically suicidal.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:38 pm

The blackberry thing isn't necessarily rude. Business doesn't stop just because it's OCI.

I had an interview where both interviewers kept checking their BBs because they were waiting on the results of an important hearing. I thought it meant they were bored with me, but I ended up with a CB from it.

bigben

Silver

Post by bigben » Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Had an interviewer spend the last 10 minutes of a 20 minute screener explain everything I did wrong during the interview. I was pissed for 10 minutes or so after, until I realized he just did me a HUGE favor. Some of these appear the same way to me.

THe checking email thing is absurd though. Just disrespectful to the candidate and the firm which he's supposed to be helping hire.
What did he say?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

bigben

Silver

Post by bigben » Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:42 pm

Tsispilos wrote:I had an interviewer who looked at my transcript (top 1/3 t14) and before we even sat down he just patted me on the back and said "you know, i couldn't have gotten a job in this economy either." I actually kind of appreciated the frankness--but if I were that interviewer, I probably would have walked on eggshells a bit more seeing as how half of my class is basically suicidal.
Wow, lol.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:04 pm

One interviewer ridiculed one of the interests listed on my resume and then accused me of making it up to sound intellectual. Lovely way to start an interview.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:13 pm

This happened to a friend:

Friend: "I'm interested in practicing law in City X because Y."
Interviewer: "Who told you Y? That's completely false." [Although Y really isn't false...]

Later in the interview...

Friend: "I really think City X is a great place to raise a family."
Interviewer: "Really? Have you ever been to City X before? I don't think you know what you're talking about." [Although City X is known for being family friendly...]

How do you react when the interviewer tells you you're wrong, but you're really not?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:This happened to a friend:

Interviewer: "Who told you Y? That's completely false." [Although Y really isn't false...]

Interviewer: "Really? Have you ever been to City X before? I don't think you know what you're talking about." [Although City X is known for being family friendly...]

How do you react when the interviewer tells you you're wrong, but you're really not?
They're probably testing you to see if you can stand your ground or your buckle under pressure.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

chup

Diamond

Post by chup » Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

They're probably testing you to see if you can stand your ground or your buckle under pressure.
You take the pressure off yourself for a moment by asking the interviewer why he or she thinks [City X] is not, in fact, a very family friendly place, and if people he or she knows at the firm are of the same opinion.

spanktheduck

Bronze

Post by spanktheduck » Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

They are doing exactly this. Almost everything in this thread has been either the interviewer being honest or tough. The interviewer might be more frank and less diplomatic than you might like, but the interviewer is likely trying to connect with you. You are simply overly worried about getting a job. Also, the interviews that criticize your answers are just being tough on you. This is not impolite. Just b/c most OCI interviewers are nice, doesn't mean that interviews that ask tough questions are mean. They want to see if you buckle under pressure and whether or not you have any idea what you are talking about. If you say I want to live in X b/c of Y. The interviewer wants to see if you will buckle and if you actually know Y is true, or if you just read it on the internet.

GreenHeels

New

Post by GreenHeels » Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:44 pm

I had an interviewer once who, after I explained my extensive time in journalism and my reasons for leaving, challenge my statement that print media was in trouble. It was so obvious that he just wanted me to make my case I almost laughed.

Suck it up people. Do you realize biglaw will expect you to deal with people who aren't falling over themselves to give you what you want? Gut check time.

worldtraveler

Platinum

Post by worldtraveler » Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:12 pm

A lot of these stories sound like standard interview stories.

I had an interview once for this random PT job and the woman punched me in the shoulder and asked if I liked football. Then she wanted to go outside and throw a football with me. I'm pretty sure my lack of football skills cost me the job.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”