How to address an email to alumnus working at c/b firm?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273561
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

How to address an email to alumnus working at c/b firm?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:23 pm

How would you go about doing this without sounding like a creep?

Also, what kind of questions can I ask? Can I ask about the c/b in particular?

Renzo
Posts: 4265
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:23 am

Re: How to address an email to alumnus working at c/b firm?

Postby Renzo » Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:36 pm

I can't imagine an upside to do doing this.

User avatar
Blindmelon
Posts: 1708
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:13 am

Re: How to address an email to alumnus working at c/b firm?

Postby Blindmelon » Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:28 pm

If you have CB questions - ask the legal recruiter they assigned to you. If you think an alumni is going to give you a super secret tip that will help you get an offer you're probably out of luck.

User avatar
OGR3
Posts: 881
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:56 pm

Re: How to address an email to alumnus working at c/b firm?

Postby OGR3 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:35 pm

Blindmelon wrote:If you have CB questions - ask the legal recruiter they assigned to you. If you think an alumni is going to give you a super secret tip that will help you get an offer you're probably out of luck.


Unless said alumnus is a relative or close family friend, in which case, you should just be able to talk to them in person, rather than sending off an awkward email.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273561
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: How to address an email to alumnus working at c/b firm?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:40 pm

My school's career services told me to email alumni...

User avatar
Objection
Posts: 1272
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:48 am

Re: How to address an email to alumnus working at c/b firm?

Postby Objection » Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:41 pm

The advice in this thread is horrible.

To elaborate: If you went to a small school or a school that doesn't place many people at the tier of firm at which they work, it cannot hurt, and actually could help, to email that person.

Come across as polite and enthusiastic and it'll be fine. They'll probably give you advice you've heard before, but it can't hurt to show initiative/interest.

Jessep
Posts: 94
Joined: Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:07 am

Re: How to address an email to alumnus working at c/b firm?

Postby Jessep » Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:27 pm

I agree with Objection. Of course these alums aren't going to get you hired, but you can ask some questions about the firm, etc. It might provide one or two helpful tidbits, or at least help you understand the culture of the firm so you can adjust your answers to meet the expectations of the culture.

Additionally, when they ask why you want to work for the firm you can tell them you talked to Mr. X or Mrs. Y and really liked them, they had great things to say about the firm, etc. This may seem silly or minor, but where cultural fits are even more important than ever it can help. It also shows initiative and real interest in the firm to spend extra time talking with them and going the extra distance. It can help you come off as a "go-getter". Of course, if the alum is a jerk I wouldn't go this route as the interviewer might think the alum is also a jerk.

Best of luck

Renzo
Posts: 4265
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:23 am

Re: How to address an email to alumnus working at c/b firm?

Postby Renzo » Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:45 pm

Jessep wrote:I agree with Objection. Of course these alums aren't going to get you hired, but you can ask some questions about the firm, etc. It might provide one or two helpful tidbits, or at least help you understand the culture of the firm so you can adjust your answers to meet the expectations of the culture.

Additionally, when they ask why you want to work for the firm you can tell them you talked to Mr. X or Mrs. Y and really liked them, they had great things to say about the firm, etc. This may seem silly or minor, but where cultural fits are even more important than ever it can help. It also shows initiative and real interest in the firm to spend extra time talking with them and going the extra distance. It can help you come off as a "go-getter". Of course, if the alum is a jerk I wouldn't go this route as the interviewer might think the alum is also a jerk.

Best of luck

OK, If you were to do it in the manner suggested by your post, I can see an upside. But a forced-sounding email from someone who doesn't have any questions to ask (or needs advice from random strangers about what to ask) seems to me to be a recipe for an awkward encounter which will only hurt.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273561
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: How to address an email to alumnus working at c/b firm?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:48 pm

Renzo wrote:
Jessep wrote:I agree with Objection. Of course these alums aren't going to get you hired, but you can ask some questions about the firm, etc. It might provide one or two helpful tidbits, or at least help you understand the culture of the firm so you can adjust your answers to meet the expectations of the culture.

Additionally, when they ask why you want to work for the firm you can tell them you talked to Mr. X or Mrs. Y and really liked them, they had great things to say about the firm, etc. This may seem silly or minor, but where cultural fits are even more important than ever it can help. It also shows initiative and real interest in the firm to spend extra time talking with them and going the extra distance. It can help you come off as a "go-getter". Of course, if the alum is a jerk I wouldn't go this route as the interviewer might think the alum is also a jerk.

Best of luck

OK, If you were to do it in the manner suggested by your post, I can see an upside. But a forced-sounding email from someone who doesn't have any questions to ask (or needs advice from random strangers about what to ask) seems to me to be a recipe for an awkward encounter which will only hurt.


I sent an email to an alum of my UG (she did law school there; it's not very prestigious/doesn't place well at firms of this type) basically introducing myself, saying I had a callback, and was wondering if she could tell me a bit about her practice and the firm itself. Likes, dislikes, etc.

Then I asked if she had any advice for me w/r/t the callback.

More eloquent than that, but it's not something that's going to hurt, and it shows initiative. I had one recruiter at a small firm that didn't do OCI tell me how much he appreciated me emailing him unsolicited because not many take that kind of initiative and it says good things about me.

User avatar
spanktheduck
Posts: 176
Joined: Mon Dec 24, 2007 4:23 am

Re: How to address an email to alumnus working at c/b firm?

Postby spanktheduck » Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Renzo wrote:
Jessep wrote:I agree with Objection. Of course these alums aren't going to get you hired, but you can ask some questions about the firm, etc. It might provide one or two helpful tidbits, or at least help you understand the culture of the firm so you can adjust your answers to meet the expectations of the culture.

Additionally, when they ask why you want to work for the firm you can tell them you talked to Mr. X or Mrs. Y and really liked them, they had great things to say about the firm, etc. This may seem silly or minor, but where cultural fits are even more important than ever it can help. It also shows initiative and real interest in the firm to spend extra time talking with them and going the extra distance. It can help you come off as a "go-getter". Of course, if the alum is a jerk I wouldn't go this route as the interviewer might think the alum is also a jerk.

Best of luck

OK, If you were to do it in the manner suggested by your post, I can see an upside. But a forced-sounding email from someone who doesn't have any questions to ask (or needs advice from random strangers about what to ask) seems to me to be a recipe for an awkward encounter which will only hurt.


I sent an email to an alum of my UG (she did law school there; it's not very prestigious/doesn't place well at firms of this type) basically introducing myself, saying I had a callback, and was wondering if she could tell me a bit about her practice and the firm itself. Likes, dislikes, etc.

Then I asked if she had any advice for me w/r/t the callback.

More eloquent than that, but it's not something that's going to hurt, and it shows initiative. I had one recruiter at a small firm that didn't do OCI tell me how much he appreciated me emailing him unsolicited because not many take that kind of initiative and it says good things about me.


This. There is no downside to this at all, unless you write a bizarre email.


Anonymous User
Posts: 273561
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: How to address an email to alumnus working at c/b firm?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:12 pm

Objection wrote:The advice in this thread is horrible.

To elaborate: If you went to a small school or a school that doesn't place many people at the tier of firm at which they work, it cannot hurt, and actually could help, to email that person.

Come across as polite and enthusiastic and it'll be fine. They'll probably give you advice you've heard before, but it can't hurt to show initiative/interest.


If my school is a t-14 and the firm is a v50, but my school hasn't placed that many into this particular firm, is it still okay to email alumni?

Also, can I ask about tips regarding the callback first thing? (i only ask because i know this callback entails different things from a typical callback - i have heard that this firm does major grilling)

Anonymous User
Posts: 273561
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: How to address an email to alumnus working at c/b firm?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Objection wrote:The advice in this thread is horrible.

To elaborate: If you went to a small school or a school that doesn't place many people at the tier of firm at which they work, it cannot hurt, and actually could help, to email that person.

Come across as polite and enthusiastic and it'll be fine. They'll probably give you advice you've heard before, but it can't hurt to show initiative/interest.


If my school is a t-14 and the firm is a v50, but my school hasn't placed that many into this particular firm, is it still okay to email alumni?

Also, can I ask about tips regarding the callback first thing? (i only ask because i know this callback entails different things from others)


I think it's fine to do both. It might be nice to lead with something else, even just quickly saying how you're really interested in the firm and want to be as prepared as possible.

I think the connection becomes a little bit more forced the higher up the v50/t14 you go, but the worst that can happen is they don't respond.

I went to an unprestigious state school for undergrad (think University of Arkansas-esque), so whenever I see someone at a top firm or one of my top choices that attended there for either undergrad or law school, it makes it a little bit easier to shoot a message on that basis.

However, like I said, it can't hurt, even if you don't lead with the "we went to the same school omg," especially if it's in your email sig.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273561
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: How to address an email to alumnus working at c/b firm?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:55 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Objection wrote:The advice in this thread is horrible.

To elaborate: If you went to a small school or a school that doesn't place many people at the tier of firm at which they work, it cannot hurt, and actually could help, to email that person.

Come across as polite and enthusiastic and it'll be fine. They'll probably give you advice you've heard before, but it can't hurt to show initiative/interest.


If my school is a t-14 and the firm is a v50, but my school hasn't placed that many into this particular firm, is it still okay to email alumni?

Also, can I ask about tips regarding the callback first thing? (i only ask because i know this callback entails different things from others)


I think it's fine to do both. It might be nice to lead with something else, even just quickly saying how you're really interested in the firm and want to be as prepared as possible.

I think the connection becomes a little bit more forced the higher up the v50/t14 you go, but the worst that can happen is they don't respond.

I went to an unprestigious state school for undergrad (think University of Arkansas-esque), so whenever I see someone at a top firm or one of my top choices that attended there for either undergrad or law school, it makes it a little bit easier to shoot a message on that basis.

However, like I said, it can't hurt, even if you don't lead with the "we went to the same school omg," especially if it's in your email sig.


Alright, thanks!




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.