Job Search Question

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
kalvano

Job Search Question

Postby kalvano » Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:48 pm

I know it's pretty early to be asking this, but it's mostly for my own edification.

If I am going to school in Texas, and want to work out-of-state (I know it will be very tough, I'm willing to put in the work), how does one go about applying for jobs? Is it mostly just mailing your resume to places where you want to work, or are there job postings somewhere, like the Symplicity thing?

I'm not really interested in the major markets, I'd rather work in a smaller town somewhere.

Re: Job Search Question

Postby 270910 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:51 pm

Some places will have requests on symplicity (which you usually won't have access to until Nov or Dec first). For the most part, you have to find employers and submit applications - both for summer work and full time positions. Very, very few employers advertise for positions (unless they're at a job fair or in a special situation, like a federal agency) and so you just send a cover letter, resume, transcript (obviously you won't have one of those for a while), and possibly references/writing sample depending on the target. You write that you're applying for whatever you hope they'll hire you for, and if they don't take summers or interns or what have you they'll either ignore your letter or write back telling you so.

Firms can be found via the nalpdirectory and martindale, as well as from symplicity and postings at your career services office.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:52 pm

It wouldn't be for summer intern work, I couldn't move up somewhere for it. It would be after graduation.

johnnyutah

Postby johnnyutah » Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:55 pm

kalvano wrote:I know it's pretty early to be asking this, but it's mostly for my own edification.

If I am going to school in Texas, and want to work out-of-state (I know it will be very tough, I'm willing to put in the work), how does one go about applying for jobs? Is it mostly just mailing your resume to places where you want to work, or are there job postings somewhere, like the Symplicity thing?

I'm not really interested in the major markets, I'd rather work in a smaller town somewhere.

The best way to get a job is to know someone or schmooze someone. If you can't do that or don't have the opportunity, then yeah, it's just a matter of sending out endless resumes.

Postby 270910 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:03 pm

kalvano wrote:It wouldn't be for summer intern work, I couldn't move up somewhere for it. It would be after graduation.

Well, the advice still applies - but that's going to be extraordinarily difficult for a first job without having developed ties during summers.

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:16 pm

kalvano wrote:It wouldn't be for summer intern work, I couldn't move up somewhere for it. It would be after graduation.

Not sure if you understand how this whole system works. Anyway, Disco's advice is credited.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:40 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:

Not sure if you understand how this whole system works. Anyway, Disco's advice is credited.

I understand how it typically works.

Return to “Legal Employment”