CB advice

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: CB advice

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I've had a decent number of callbacks and so far gotten 0 offers. I was hoping to get some advice on the following areas, which I think are giving me the most trouble:

-Asking questions to your interviewer. This wasn't a problem during the screening stage for me, but I've had trouble coming up with substantive, unique questions during my callbacks.

-Answering "what are you looking for in a law firm/why this firm?" I've generally just given the basic answer of strong in particular practice areas, good reputation, friendly people. Anything I'm missing here? At a few of my CBs, the interviewers really seemed to grill me on this.

-"Why law school?" I took 3 years off and worked in investment banking and always get asked why I made the transition to law.

Caveat: I have not gone on any CBs yet, so I don't know how effective my advice might be, but this is how I am planning to approach these questions.

I think the first 2 issues are really just a chance to show that you've done your homework on the firm and the interviewers. Personally, I hope that no offers are made or broken on the basis of questions you ask the interviewer. However, since your time for questions is at the end of the interview, it might carry a disproportionate amount of weight in how the interviewer remembers you. I'd try to be as specific as possible in these questions- specific practice areas the person works in, cases they've worked on, why they like or dislike that field. I think general questions tend to be boring for you and the interviewer, and might make you seem less interested (even if your body language when listening to the answer is just worse) than if you ask something more specific. I think if you can ask at least 1 memorable question, you might not have to ask any others or will be able to get away with asking some generic ones without a negative effect.

For why this firm, if at all possible mention someone else that works there and likes it. Obviously, you likely won't know anyone at the firm, but getting in touch with anyone who worked there and asking them about it should give you a good starting point. I'd try to highlight your interest in the city, practice areas, clients, cases, pro bono, or anything else you can find out about the firm. Even if it isn't unique to them at all, I think it's better to be specific than vague.

I don't really have a good answer to question three myself, but in your case maybe you could highlight some of the things you liked about your old job and how you think they might apply to practicing law? Or just come up with something canned like you wanted the challenge. Don't really know for this one

Return to “Legal Employment”