Ropes & Gray QOL Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Ropes & Gray QOL

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:31 pm

got cb w/ R&G NY, I'm curious whether their "#1" ranking for QOL is all marketing; or if there's any truth to it. They gave me like three pamphlets touting their Vault ranking for "best place to work"

Pablo Ramirez

Bronze

Re: Ropes & Gray QOL

Post by Pablo Ramirez » Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:got cb w/ R&G NY, I'm curious whether their "#1" ranking for QOL is all marketing; or if there's any truth to it. They gave me like three pamphlets touting their Vault ranking for "best place to work"
A BigLaw firm touting their "high quality of life" is just another way of them telling you "don't worry, we'll provide the lube." And I use the term "lube" here quite literally.

Think of it as a non-salary "perk"

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:40 pm

It's BS.

Nice=Passive Aggressive.

Always remember: In Biglaw, no one is your friend. It's a business.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:43 pm

Pablo Ramirez wrote: A BigLaw firm touting their "high quality of life" is just another way of them telling you "don't worry, we'll provide the lube." And I use the term "lube" here quite literally.

What - do - you - mean - by - literally - lube?

Pablo Ramirez

Bronze

Post by Pablo Ramirez » Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Pablo Ramirez wrote: A BigLaw firm touting their "high quality of life" is just another way of them telling you "don't worry, we'll provide the lube." And I use the term "lube" here quite literally.

They buy you Vaseline. You rub it all over your ass. Preparedness is key. And I don't know about you, but I like my preparedness subsidized.
Last edited by Pablo Ramirez on Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:43 pm

I did see a vaseline tube on their "SHHHHWAAAAAAG" table at my OCI

sundance95

Gold

Post by sundance95 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:45 pm

Pablo Ramirez wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

They buy you Vaseline. You rub it all over your ass. Preparedness is key. And I don't know about you, but I like my preparedness subsidized.
Its rule 5p. Proper preparation prevents perforated poopchutes.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:22 am

Ropes is a pretty good law firm to work for. I would agree that some of the niceness is just passive-aggressive behavior and that can be annoying, but it's no different than other law firms. It genuinely isn't a place where you'll have to deal with overly hostile and abusive partners or senior associates which is nice, given the stories I've heard from friends at other firms. The NY summer associates were really close last year and got along really well. I got the sense that NY worked longer hours than other offices although I'm not sure to what extent that's actually true or if it just seemed that way because NY starts later than other places.

I would say there is some truth to the marketing, but as other posters have mentioned, don't think that being #1 in QOL means that the firm is going to be soft on you. It's just comparably better than other firms.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”