Woman-friendly?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Woman-friendly?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:56 am

All in NYC

Davis Polk
Simpson Thacher
Paul Weiss

I have offers from all of the above and as you can imagine having a helluva time deciding.

I'm interested in corporate/transactional work but may at some point want some lit experience. I love living in NYC. I'm engaged to marry soon after I graduate from law school. I would love to have children sooner than later but do expect to keep working full-time. I also plan on clerking for a year after graduation.

I'm curious which is most friendly to women and mothers in terms of flex-time and reduced hours while still doing heavy-duty corporate/lit work? Which firm are more likely to give you a good shot at equity partnership even with having to balance work and family life? How are these firms doing ITE?

Any advice very much appreciated. Thanks!

(Yes, I'm hoping NYAssociate chimes in. :wink:)

Cavalier

Re: Woman-friendly?

Postby Cavalier » Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:31 pm

If you want a firm that's family friendly and gives you a good shot at making partner, you won't find it among the top New York law firms.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:31 pm

Cavalier wrote:If you want a firm that's family friendly and gives you a good shot at making partner, you won't find it among the top New York law firms.

Thanks for the feedback but I'm only asking which of the three gives me that best chance, not NYC firms in general. I'm aware it's tough going for any female associate who wants to have a family with a goal of making partner someday to get that right balance working for a top NY firm. Yet I'm sure you agree there are certainly women who are mothers who became a partner in a top firm despite the "overwhelming" odds. So difficult, yes, but maybe not close to impossible.

From what I understand these three firms have at one time or anyone be named the top 50 US law firms that are most women-friendly. What I'm hoping is for anyone who has experience with any of these firms or know of friends who worked for them could give me something to help lead one way or the other. I had great interviews with all of them, great people, lots of women, and felt welcomed and wanted, making them all virtually indistinguishable from each other.

NYAssociate

Postby NYAssociate » Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:41 pm

Return to “Legal Employment”