what if you get no offers? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: what if you get no offers?

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote: I'm the guy you responded to. Well, might as well admit that I go to CLS too. Any advice on where you're finding small firms? Only place I know to search is NALP. Where are you looking?

Yeah, I figured you were CLS. Yes, I was using NALP when I was mass mailing.

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:11 pm

Here's what awaits you if you don't start mass mailing now:

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:09 pm

I have taken a staggered approach to direct mailing. I e-mailed out about 90 applications/resumes/cover letters to various firms, and also bid on about 30 firms through my school's OCI. In the next two weeks, I have about 10 interviews through OCI and 2 callbacks, both of which came from direct mailing. The odds aren't good (2 callbacks vs. about 30 rejections so far), but remember: It only takes 1 offer to get you a job.

All of the substantive things (cover letter, resume, etc.) should be in the form of .pdf attachments to your email. The body of the email itself need say no more than your name, that you're a 2L at [Law School], and that you're interested in a 2011 summer associate position. One obvious thing: Name your files something simple and professional, such as Name.Coverletter.pdf. DO NOT name your cover letter files according to the city you're sending it (i.e. Coverletter.Boston.pdf, making it obvious that you have one that goes to all firms in a particular city and that you're applying to other markets). Bitcheslovemyshaft.pdf or similarly absurd/random filenames, of course, are a great idea.

I think that if you haven't already sent out mailings, having success is going to be an uphill battle. That said, if OCI doesn't pan out, I will be sending out another batch of 100 or so direct mailings in another month, so I'll keep you posted.

pandacot

Bronze

Post by pandacot » Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:20 pm

I don't get the mass mailing with a generic cover letter. While I'm not a hiring attorney, I'd throw these in the garbage unless the resume had some amazing stats.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:24 pm

pandacot wrote:I don't get the mass mailing with a generic cover letter. While I'm not a hiring attorney, I'd throw these in the garbage unless the resume had some amazing stats.
A generic cover letter is suicide.

Both of my mass mailing callbacks have come from letters where I at least spelled out (1.) things the firm does that I'm into and (2.) why I want to live in that city. Point 2 is especially important. The person who contacted me from one of the firms that called me back (it's in a cool city but a third tier legal market) explicitly said that the reason they were interested was that I articulated a good reason for wanting that city.

If your CL consists of "Dear sir or madam, I'm interested in litigation or transactional, after 1L I had a pretty wizard internship, I look forward to our continued correspondence," don't even bother hitting the send button.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:29 pm

I've just been sending my resume and transcript. Is a cover letter compulsory?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I've just been sending my resume and transcript. Is a cover letter compulsory?

Yes. The cover letter is as important as the other two. I think it is even more than the transcript, actually.

pandacot

Bronze

Post by pandacot » Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I've just been sending my resume and transcript. Is a cover letter compulsory?
I would think that no cover letter is the same as a generic cover letter.

Firms want to know WHY you are picking their firm and the locale. That was almost always a question at every interview.

There are so many law candidates to choose from, and many have amazing stats. You have to show how you are a fit with the firm.
Last edited by pandacot on Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:34 pm

That depends, do you want to get a job, or do you just enjoy sending emails for your health?

If you're at an elite law school or a pretty good one with incredibly good grades, you might be able to luck into something without sending a CL. In all probability, however, the firm has the option of hiring (1.) you or (2.) countless other qualified applicants who actually took the time to write a cover letter articulating their interest in that firm specifically. It doesn't take Nostradamaus to predict which option they'll go with.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

spanktheduck

Bronze

Post by spanktheduck » Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
pandacot wrote:I don't get the mass mailing with a generic cover letter. While I'm not a hiring attorney, I'd throw these in the garbage unless the resume had some amazing stats.
A generic cover letter is suicide.

Both of my mass mailing callbacks have come from letters where I at least spelled out (1.) things the firm does that I'm into and (2.) why I want to live in that city. Point 2 is especially important. The person who contacted me from one of the firms that called me back (it's in a cool city but a third tier legal market) explicitly said that the reason they were interested was that I articulated a good reason for wanting that city.

If your CL consists of "Dear sir or madam, I'm interested in litigation or transactional, after 1L I had a pretty wizard internship, I look forward to our continued correspondence," don't even bother hitting the send button.

TCR. It does not take long to perlonalize them either, maybe five minutes. Point 2 will be the same for every firm in the same city or region and it does not take long to find point 1, either on nalp or their website.

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:52 pm

Cavalier wrote:Here's what awaits you if you don't start mass mailing now:

I just have to point out that this debtor's prison looks gorgeous and historical and made of brick, and if sent there, I would just pretend it was a nice bed and breakfast. It's also in Accomack County (aka where Chincoteague is), so I'll just bet there is a beach nearby.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:21 pm

I think the second question for this thread is:

What other options are there aside from law firms?

It sounds like a lot of people from T-14 and other really good schools are not going to get law firm offers. Going to secondary markets isn't always an option either since you need to have some sort of tie to that market.

radek

New

Post by radek » Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I think the second question for this thread is:

It sounds like a lot of people from T-14 and other really good schools are not going to get law firm offers. Going to secondary markets isn't always an option either since you need to have some sort of tie to that market.
Government. Public Interest. Loan shark advising. Insurance Defense. Doc Review. Crim Defense (DUI, etc.). Ambulance chasing.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I think the second question for this thread is:

I think a local DA's Office would be interesting work (after you do DUIs for a year or two).

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”