what if you get no offers?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

what if you get no offers?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:18 am

had a pretty crappy callback right before labor day weekend started, probably dumb idea to schedule it RIGHT before the holiday (everybody wanted to get the hell out)

I'm starting to wonder what I'ma do w/ ma life if I don't get any law firm job during my 2L summer. Right now - drawing a blank.

Adjudicator

Re: what if you get no offers?

Postby Adjudicator » Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:19 am

Become very bitter and start a blog.

Postby 20160810 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:32 am

Then you keep looking.

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:57 am

Start mass mailing firms RIGHT NOW.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:34 am

Cavalier wrote:Start mass mailing firms RIGHT NOW.

+100. I got 2 CBs this way.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:27 pm

Any suggestions on where to find information on firms that aren't biglaw? Does NALP have information on all the medium and small firms in NYC, or are there better sources to look at?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:32 pm

Are your callbacks from V100 firms or smaller firms that didn't participate in your school's OCI?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any suggestions on where to find information on firms that aren't biglaw? Does NALP have information on all the medium and small firms in NYC, or are there better sources to look at?

--LinkRemoved--

Best resource out there. They have far more than JUST vault firms, if you search by region.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Are your callbacks from V100 firms or smaller firms that didn't participate in your school's OCI?

If you mass mail? I mass mailed firms that were non-Vault and that did not participate in my OCI.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Are your callbacks from V100 firms or smaller firms that didn't participate in your school's OCI?

If you mass mail? I mass mailed firms that were non-Vault and did not participate in my OCI.

is it worth a shot to e-mail Vault firms that I did not interview with at OCI.

*** My school has a pure lottery system so there was no chance for them to pre-select or see my file yet.

dresden doll

Postby dresden doll » Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:01 pm

I wonder if mass mailing ought be done by paper or whether email is acceptable. I know this has been answered before, but I missed it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

If you mass mail? I mass mailed firms that were non-Vault and did not participate in my OCI.

*** My school has a pure lottery system so there was no chance for them to pre-select or see my file yet.

I did this. About a week ago sent emails to about a hundred firms. So far, one told me that they might be in touch if they're interested in an interview and two directed me to their online forms. Worth a shot, but don't get your hopes up.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:18 pm

dresden doll wrote:I wonder if mass mailing ought be done by paper or whether email is acceptable. I know this has been answered before, but I missed it.

My Career Service Office recommended to use email. It worked for me in landing a 1L SA.

Postby 270910 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:22 pm

dresden doll wrote:I wonder if mass mailing ought be done by paper or whether email is acceptable. I know this has been answered before, but I missed it.

Emerging consensus: The small risk of an email being missed or going to the wrong person is far outweighed by it being easily forwardable and the preferred form of communication, particularly when initiating contact with a larger group of firms. The contact email listed on the NALP form is good there, otherwise do what you can to find contact info on martindale, firm's website, career services list, etc.

Best format is to include resume, transcript, references, and cover letter - as .pdf or .doc attachments to email.

There's nothing wrong with snail mail, and for a small group of firms can be a better presentation with perhaps a slightly stronger chance of not getting ignored.

People on this forum have received CBs and screening interviews from a wide variety of firms via both large email and smaller mailing campaigns.

Be sure to articulate particular ties to the region at the very least in your cover letter, and strike the best balance you can between targeting and volume.

Also the "window" for mass-mailing is closing - rapidly. Conventional wisdom is that as early as 1L grades are in is fine, and that by September 1st your odds of getting any bites starts going down quickly as firms fill any summer positions they have.

OperaSoprano

Postby OperaSoprano » Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:38 pm

disco_barred wrote:

Emerging consensus: The small risk of an email being missed or going to the wrong person is far outweighed by it being easily forwardable and the preferred form of communication, particularly when initiating contact with a larger group of firms. The contact email listed on the NALP form is good there, otherwise do what you can to find contact info on martindale, firm's website, career services list, etc.

Best format is to include resume, transcript, references, and cover letter - as .pdf or .doc attachments to email.

There's nothing wrong with snail mail, and for a small group of firms can be a better presentation with perhaps a slightly stronger chance of not getting ignored.

People on this forum have received CBs and screening interviews from a wide variety of firms via both large email and smaller mailing campaigns.

Be sure to articulate particular ties to the region at the very least in your cover letter, and strike the best balance you can between targeting and volume.

Also the "window" for mass-mailing is closing - rapidly. Conventional wisdom is that as early as 1L grades are in is fine, and that by September 1st your odds of getting any bites starts going down quickly as firms fill any summer positions they have.

Disco, I am going to hit smaller firms here in New York. Out of curiosity, what goes in the body of the email itself? Best to keep it very general? I just want to avoid repeating what I've been saying in my cover letters. Or should the body of the email effectively function as a cover letter? I've been emailing the attorneys I found on Martindale who are alumni of my UG (not to ask for jobs, obviously, just for general advice). There are five in New York-- who knew?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:39 pm

disco_barred wrote:

How sure are you about that window? My school's (t6) career office recommended waiting until mid-September to see if a small firm mass mailing will be necessary.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

My school also, bro. I still mass mailed after.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:44 pm

I did some mass mailing and have so far had a lot of radio silence, a few rejections, and 1 CB.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
disco_barred wrote:

How sure are you about that window? My school's (t6) career office recommended waiting until mid-September to see if a small firm mass mailing will be necessary.

Do it now, man. CLS also recommended that to me, but, my desire for a jerb overcame their advice. Got some CBs from smaller firms through it already.

OperaSoprano

Postby OperaSoprano » Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
disco_barred wrote:

Not as any slight to my own CSO, but I would personally take Disco_barred's word first. I'm not aware of anyone who's done more research into this process, and it can't hurt to be safe rather than sorry, unless there is some opportunity to be lost by mailing sooner.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I also go to CLS, and I know about our lottery system. I don't think it is worth it to e-mail those firms because they have likely, at this point, done nearly all their CBs for CLS (or whatever school you attend) and are extending offers.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:47 pm

E-mail, for sure. You want your apps there ASAP.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
disco_barred wrote:

Do it now, man. CLS also recommended that to me, but, my desire for a jerb overcame their advice. Got some CBs from smaller firms through it already.

I'm the guy you responded to. Well, might as well admit that I go to CLS too. Any advice on where you're finding small firms? Only place I know to search is NALP. Where are you looking?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:48 pm

disco_barred wrote:

I think all you need is a resume and cover letter, unless they specify otherwise on the application part of the firm website (which you should be checking before sending anything for additional requests, like a writing sample).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:51 pm

OperaSoprano wrote:
disco_barred wrote:

Disco, I am going to hit smaller firms here in New York. Out of curiosity, what goes in the body of the email itself? Best to keep it very general? I just want to avoid repeating what I've been saying in my cover letters. Or should the body of the email effectively function as a cover letter? I've been emailing the attorneys I found on Martindale who are alumni of my UG (not to ask for jobs, obviously, just for general advice). There are five in New York-- who knew?

You don't need to do a lot of explaining in the e-mail. Just: Dear so and so, I am interested in your 2011 SA Program, having done such and such this past summer. I am attracted to your firm given some reason. Thank you in advance for your time and consideration. Sincerely, So and so. Easy.

Return to “Legal Employment”