top 15% @ CCN, 5 years of WE, EE degree, passed patent bar Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: top 15% @ CCN, 5 years of WE, EE degree, passed patent bar

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:19 pm

I wonder how many of our classmates exaggerate the number of callbacks they get. I mean, who wants to admit they are IP and have single-digit number of callbacks?

I think law students lie to their peers. There is a lot of ego involved.

For the record, I have 43 callbacks - lol

yellowjacket2012

Bronze

Post by yellowjacket2012 » Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:20 pm

well - I will agree with OP on one thing - its not enough to do OCIP.

If I had limited my job search to Boalt's OCIP - I'd be concerned.
Last edited by yellowjacket2012 on Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I wonder how many of our classmates exaggerate the number of callbacks they get. I mean, who wants to admit they are IP and have single-digit number of callbacks?

All my law school friends tell the truth. Lol @ "who wants to admit they are IP and have single-digit number of callbacks." You do know that, probably, 4 to 5 CBs is average at CLS this year, right?

Aqualibrium

Gold

Post by Aqualibrium » Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:21 pm

-
Last edited by Aqualibrium on Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Anonymous User

yellowjacket2012 wrote:well - I will agree with OP on one thing - its not enough to do OCIP.

If I had limited my job search to Boalt's OCIP - I'd be scared shitless

Depends on the person. OCI turned out well for a lot of people I know.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Anonymous User wrote:I wonder how many of our classmates exaggerate the number of callbacks they get. I mean, who wants to admit they are IP and have single-digit number of callbacks?

OP here.

I have 10-15 CBs, all of which I've gone on except 2. I'm just worried about the fact that I have heard NOTHING back from the firms I've interviewed with (with the exception of one ding). And I agree with you. People who say they have over 20 CBs are either full of shit or throwing in some sexual favors or something.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

OP here.

I have 10-15 CBs, all of which I've gone on except 2. I'm just worried about the fact that I have heard NOTHING back from the firms I've interviewed with (with the exception of one ding). And I agree with you. People who say they have over 20 CBs are either full of shit or throwing in some sexual favors or something.

It took me 14 days to hear on my first offer. The second one, too. It's not fast.

yellowjacket2012

Bronze

Post by yellowjacket2012 » Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:25 pm

well man.. not sure what to tell you.. I wish you the best.

Maybe they're yield protecting you lol.. maybe you'll be the first unemployed soul in the legal market who got yield protected from every firm.
Last edited by yellowjacket2012 on Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aqualibrium

Gold

Post by Aqualibrium » Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

OP here.

I figured this was just a case of jumping the gun. Chill out. As long as you haven't gotten an official ding, you are still in the game. If you have a legit top choice out of the CB's youve gone on, I would advise letting them know that "I really enjoyed meeting you guys, blah blah blah, you are my top choice." That goes a long way.
Last edited by Aqualibrium on Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

yellowjacket2012

Bronze

Post by yellowjacket2012 » Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:26 pm

I've said this before, when some IP kid brags that they have 20+ callbacks - you really gotta ask yourself how many big law firms have IP as their main engine of growth - that's where you wanna end up - once you run THAT filter - the list is maybe 6-10 general practice firms - you know who they are.

My contention is that it would be a big mistake to go to a place like Latham or Skadden as a young IP litigator; you have ZERO shot of making partner; so their callback # is probably padded with similar firms which don't have IP lit as their source of revenue. Take that for what its worth though, those places offer phenomenal exit options if that's your game.
Last edited by yellowjacket2012 on Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:maybe its the age thing - you're closing in on 30 I'm guessing. Pat reg number is useless; no IP lit big law cares about that. Most big law firms in IP lit are either neutral or negative about work experience in the field - they question your "passion about the law" - unless you wanna do prosecution.
Interesting - where does the age 30 conclusion come from? I know so many IP folks start legal career after 30.

yellowjacket2012

Bronze

Post by yellowjacket2012 » Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:30 pm

whats funny about age is that you give up a lottttta money in retirement dollars - the later you start your legal career. If you're able to make partner by 32 or so, versus 37 - the retirement differences are huge, given that you're probably able to work 5 more years. Unless you're making lawyer money in those 5 years after college, which is doubtful.

If I had to do it all over again - I would've gotten in and out of college ASAP and jumped into law school - but - can't reverse the shotclock.

yellowjacket2012

Bronze

Post by yellowjacket2012 » Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:35 pm

Yeah I had one kid tell me he had an offer from a firm BEFORE law school, I've still been scratching my head about that one.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:36 pm

yellowjacket2012 wrote:

Yeah I had one kid tell me he had an offer from a firm BEFORE law school, I've still been scratching my head about that one.

Nah, man, my friend had this happen--he worked as a paralegal at the firm for three years. True story.

yellowjacket2012

Bronze

Post by yellowjacket2012 » Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:38 pm

hmm, wow, cool, i guess. there's a kid at my school who had a 1L at a badass IP dept of an awesome GP firm (think v25), they extended him a 2L offer, he's cruising right through this term - no worries - good for him - he's focusing on classes and thats about it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:51 pm

yellowjacket2012 wrote:hmm, wow, cool, i guess. there's a kid at my school who had a 1L at a badass IP dept of an awesome GP firm (think v25), they extended him a 2L offer, he's cruising right through this term - no worries - good for him - he's focusing on classes and thats about it.

Yup. This is definitely not weird. I know a few different 2Ls who got this sort of situation, too.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”