MAINE LAW SCHOOL

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
bballfreak56

MAINE LAW SCHOOL

Postby bballfreak56 » Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:51 pm

Who went/goes to UMAINE. What have you heard about the top graduates salaries?

dresden doll

Re: MAINE LAW SCHOOL

Postby dresden doll » Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:54 pm

Just remember that whatever they put out for USNWR is likely bogus. Don't go in expecting a 160k job.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:58 pm

dresden doll wrote:Just remember that whatever they put out for USNWR is likely bogus. Don't go in expecting a 160k job.

+1.

If you go to Maine, you should expect to stay in Maine or a surrounding state and you'll likely have to scrap for a job. But then again, that's true at most non-elite schools, so I am in no way trying to disparage the school.

Basically, if you want to be a lawyer, can get a decent scholarhsip to go to Maine, are satisfied with working in Maine after graduation, and are satisfied starting out at a low starting salary, then Maine is probably an okay choice. Just don't take out massive loans expecting a six-figure job in NYC by going to Maine.

Lawquacious

Postby Lawquacious » Sat Sep 04, 2010 8:06 pm

I think the ideal from U Maine Law would be to break into the Portland market.. from what I gather than can be tough to do. But maybe someone on here knows what class percentile you would want to be in to land a good job in Portland Maine and what that job would pay? (sorry I can't help with that, but I'm actually kind of interested in the answer myself)..

bigben

Postby bigben » Sat Sep 04, 2010 8:07 pm

A quick NALP search shows top entry level salaries in the state of Maine around 77k-80k (all in Portland). Looks like there may be a total of around 10-12 openings like that per year typically. I'd imagine Maine grads get a good chunk of those jobs, probably even most of them. (Of course, you'll have to compete with the rest of your class for those jobs, keep that in mind).

http://nalpdirectory.com/

Next step would be to research the individual firms, e.g.:

http://www.pierceatwood.com/

As for other jobs, I'd bet that fewer than 5 students each year from Maine Law School get a job outside of Maine that pays more than the Portland firms. Probably 0-2 is typical.
Last edited by bigben on Sat Sep 04, 2010 8:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Lawquacious

Postby Lawquacious » Sat Sep 04, 2010 8:11 pm

Very cool ^^^

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:08 pm

I got a callback from a Maine firm by sending my resume. Didn't end up doing it, though.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:28 pm

I have interviewed with a number of Portland firms. They all seem like a great place to make a career. The hard thing is that there are so few positions, so you really need to stand out. A few people I talked to had come from smaller Maine firms. I think it takes a lot of leg work. Maine is a great place to live and work, but best to come out of Maine Law with little debt so that you can afford to work at a Maine salary. BTW, I think the partners at the firms do pretty well, and the Maine firms really seem to want to keep associates around long term.

Return to “Legal Employment”