is this career suicide? (successful callback season) Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

is this career suicide? (successful callback season)

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 04, 2010 3:28 am

I have 16 v100 callbacks, and 1 job offer from a prestigious public sector job.
Has anyone heard of someone taking a prestigious non-clerkship public sector job (think similar to the Manhattan DA's office) - and then transitioning to big law?

I guess, as a proxy to my question: is Manhattan ADA -> big law pretty routine?

spanktheduck

Bronze

Re: is this career suicide? (successful callback season)

Post by spanktheduck » Sat Sep 04, 2010 3:41 am

You should get an offer from a firm before the 28 expire. If you don't, you are unlikely to get one at all probably. If you want a firm job, you basically need to work at one this summer (IP makes this slightly less true)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 04, 2010 3:44 am

OP here, I'm expecting to get an offer from one of 16 callbacks, I'm going to go ahead and assume that getting zero-offered from 16 callbacks is very - very - very unlikely. Is this wrong?

I mean, this would only be true if one of two things were happening 1) I'm very shitty as an interviewer (which would not have eventuated in 16 cbs, I think); or 2) v100 firms just donate cbs like candy

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 04, 2010 4:03 am

Anonymous User wrote:OP here, I'm expecting to get an offer from one of 16 callbacks, I'm going to go ahead and assume that getting zero-offered from 16 callbacks is very - very - very unlikely. Is this wrong?

I mean, this would only be true if one of two things were happening 1) I'm very shitty as an interviewer (which would not have eventuated in 16 cbs, I think); or 2) v100 firms just donate cbs like candy

Can you do any of that PI work this fall/spring? That way, you can still maintain contacts...

spanktheduck

Bronze

Post by spanktheduck » Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:20 pm

Manhattan ADA to a firm might not be that uncommon, but a Manhattan DA 2L intern is just as uncommon as every other non-biglaw 2l summer to biglaw. Don't take the offer at the DA. An internship at Manhattan DA is not that prestigious (at least to warrant working at a firm if you want to). Further, the training you get at Manhattan will be completely different than the skills you need at biglaw. DA's are a trial practice, biglaw is motion.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 04, 2010 4:30 pm

spanktheduck wrote:Manhattan ADA to a firm might not be that uncommon, but a Manhattan DA 2L intern is just as uncommon as every other non-biglaw 2l summer to biglaw. Don't take the offer at the DA. An internship at Manhattan DA is not that prestigious (at least to warrant working at a firm if you want to). Further, the training you get at Manhattan will be completely different than the skills you need at biglaw. DA's are a trial practice, biglaw is motion.

Like I said, he should do this in the fall or the spring. He can still get good exp from it, but does not have to use his summer on it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 04, 2010 6:17 pm

Surely one of the firms that gives you an offer will allow a public interest split. It's a pretty sweet deal: you get a firm salary, but spend half your summer working in government. My impression is that quite a few firms are open to this.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Surely one of the firms that gives you an offer will allow a public interest split. It's a pretty sweet deal: you get a firm salary, but spend half your summer working in government. My impression is that quite a few firms are open to this.

This is not recommended in this economy.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Surely one of the firms that gives you an offer will allow a public interest split. It's a pretty sweet deal: you get a firm salary, but spend half your summer working in government. My impression is that quite a few firms are open to this.

Not recommended by whom? Our career services office doesn't seem to think it's a problem. Splitting between two firms seems to be frowned upon (unless you're in Texas), but a public interest split still seems like a live option. I guess the fear would be that your firm would no-offer you after the summer, but I think now that firms have downsized their summer classes this is less of an issue. Certainly something to consider, especially since OP is considering forgoing an SA job entirely.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:30 pm

I strongly recommend not foregoing Biglaw next summer. If you must, do this as an internship during your school year.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Not recommended by whom? Our career services office doesn't seem to think it's a problem. Splitting between two firms seems to be frowned upon (unless you're in Texas), but a public interest split still seems like a live option. I guess the fear would be that your firm would no-offer you after the summer, but I think now that firms have downsized their summer classes this is less of an issue. Certainly something to consider, especially since OP is considering forgoing an SA job entirely.

Not recommended by CLS.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”