OCI call backs

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: OCI call backs

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:04 am

Anonymous User wrote:At my t14 school, career office said it varies a lot but your odds are something like 30% on average?

No. It depends on the firm, your school, the timing of the interview, etc., etc., etc. There is no set 'average.'

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:At my t14 school, career office said it varies a lot but your odds are something like 30% on average?

No. It depends on the firm, your school, the timing of the interview, etc., etc., etc. There is no set 'average.'

For NYC, I think it's about 1/3 for many firms.

dresden doll

Postby dresden doll » Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I would imagine that such figure is higher when candidates are flown in from other cities, however. I don't see firms angling to unnecessarily pay for 2/3 worth of candidates' flight tickets.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:21 pm

dresden doll wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I would imagine that such figure is higher when candidates are flown in from other cities, however. I don't see firms angling to unnecessarily pay for 2/3 worth of candidates' flight tickets.

This is true if (1) firms tend to callback people deeper into the class at CLS and NYU, for example, for NYC compared to far-away schools, and (2) grades are factored into the picture at a certain rate to determine whether or not to give an offer. I say grades in particular, and not personality, because every interviewer may have a different perception of the candidate's personality.

I have no idea what factor grades play in determining whether or not to give an offer, but at least for a certain NYC firm, the offer:callback rate was similar for both Cornell and Columbia, even though one school required the firm the pay for airfare.

dresden doll

Postby dresden doll » Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
This is true if (1) firms tend to callback people deeper into the class at CLS and NYU, for example, for NYC compared to far-away schools, and (2) grades are factored into the picture at a certain rate to determine whether or not to give an offer. I say grades in particular, and not personality, because every interviewer may have a different perception of the candidate's personality.

This is a good point.

As a pretty irrelevant aside, are Cornell kids really flown out? I thought the train was the typical way of getting to NYC, both for them and the Yalies?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:28 pm

dresden doll wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

This is a good point.

As a pretty irrelevant aside, are Cornell kids really flown out? I thought the train was the typical way of getting to NYC, both for them and the Yalies?

Tbh, I don't really know. I assumed they were, but maybe not.

If they do travel by train, hopefully this means there's a higher offer:callback for schools that are at least a couple hours flight away. heh

Postby 12262010 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:29 pm

dresden doll wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

This is a good point.

lol, there's no train to Shithaca.

most people take a bus instead of flying though, since it's at most 4 hours from the city.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
dresden doll wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

This is a good point.

Tbh, I don't really know. I assumed they were, but maybe not.

If they do travel by train, hopefully this means there's a higher offer:callback for schools that are at least a couple hours flight away. heh

I think it makes sense that a flight or long trip to a callback = a better than average shot at an offer. Especially if the school you are coming from isn't one the firm hires from.

I mean getting flown from Ole Miss or UGA to a NY callback is probably a pretty big deal.

(accidental anon)

dresden doll

Postby dresden doll » Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:36 pm

booyakasha wrote:
dresden doll wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

This is a good point.

most people take a bus instead of flying though, since it's at most 4 hours from the city.

No train? Wow. I'm a little surprised. Ithaca may be a middle of nowhere but it's still a place where an Ivy institution is located so I assumed that a train must exist on that account. Surely Cornell kids travel to NYC often enough. I would in their place.

Seems wasteful to fly people out from Ithaca, though. I'd be curious to know if that happens.

Zugzwang

Postby Zugzwang » Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:24 pm

dresden doll wrote:I would imagine that such figure is higher when candidates are flown in from other cities, however. I don't see firms angling to unnecessarily pay for 2/3 worth of candidates' flight tickets.

God I hope you're right

dresden doll

Postby dresden doll » Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:27 pm

Zugzwang wrote:
dresden doll wrote:I would imagine that such figure is higher when candidates are flown in from other cities, however. I don't see firms angling to unnecessarily pay for 2/3 worth of candidates' flight tickets.

God I hope you're right

I mean, it just makes fiscal sense, and I highly doubt firms are out there to unnecessarily spend money ITE.

Zugzwang

Postby Zugzwang » Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:34 pm

dresden doll wrote:
Zugzwang wrote:

God I hope you're right

I mean, it just makes fiscal sense, and I highly doubt firms are out there to unnecessarily spend money ITE.

But now I wonder if they thought I was still going to be in the area, or if they knew I was half way across the country.

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:40 pm

Zugzwang wrote:
dresden doll wrote:
Zugzwang wrote:

God I hope you're right

But now I wonder if they thought I was still going to be in the area, or if they knew I was half way across the country.

Don't they know what school you attend?

Zugzwang

Postby Zugzwang » Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:49 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:Don't they know what school you attend?

I mean, realistically one would expect them to realize, or at least expect, that I probably have OCI at around the same time as the other schools in the area, but stranger things have happened.

KMaine

Postby KMaine » Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:11 pm

dresden doll wrote:
booyakasha wrote:
dresden doll wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

This is a good point.

No train? Wow. I'm a little surprised. Ithaca may be a middle of nowhere but it's still a place where an Ivy institution is located so I assumed that a train must exist on that account. Surely Cornell kids travel to NYC often enough. I would in their place.

Seems wasteful to fly people out from Ithaca, though. I'd be curious to know if that happens.

Airfare is pretty cheep from Ithaca to NYC. THhe airport is pretty crowded with law students these days. I think most are headed to NYC.

como

Postby como » Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:31 pm

dresden doll wrote:
Zugzwang wrote:

God I hope you're right

Firms could care less about the bucks they spend flying you to a callback. This really is not indicative of their desire to hire you.

FWIW, firms fly people out of Ithaca, put them up in nice hotels, and pay for their meals. I don't think callback expense has absolutely anything to do with the likelihood of receiving an offer.

dresden doll

Postby dresden doll » Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:34 pm

como wrote:FWIW, firms fly people out of Ithaca, put them up in nice hotels, and pay for their meals. I don't think callback expense has absolutely anything to do with the likelihood of receiving an offer.

What is this opinion based on? If CBs aren't a big deal to the firms, why do they typically choose to fly out only a small percentage of all the candidates they interview on campuses? Why not fly out everyone for a more thorough second look?

como

Postby como » Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:41 pm

dresden doll wrote:
como wrote:FWIW, firms fly people out of Ithaca, put them up in nice hotels, and pay for their meals. I don't think callback expense has absolutely anything to do with the likelihood of receiving an offer.

What is this opinion based on? If CBs aren't a big deal to the firms, why do they typically choose to fly out only a small percentage of all the candidates they interview on campuses? Why not fly out everyone for a more thorough second look?

Well, that would just be asinine to callback everyone. That would effectively make the screening interview completely worthless. What I am saying is that they are looking at grades and fit at the screening stage, not the cost of flying someone out for a callback.

Zugzwang

Postby Zugzwang » Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:43 pm

noooo destroyin my hope why would you do that to me

como

Postby como » Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:53 pm

Zugzwang wrote:noooo destroyin my hope why would you do that to me

You still have hope. Your hope should hinge on your accomplishments and your interviewing skills, not the fact that you cost the firm's bottom line a marginally greater amount than someone else.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Untrue. I go to CLS, and our data indicate that it varies WILDLY from firm to firm. I've had CBs with NYC firms that made offers to 0% of their CLS CBs last summer to 70%, and everything between those numbers.

Postby 12262010 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Untrue. I go to CLS, and our data indicate that it varies WILDLY from firm to firm. I've had CBs with NYC firms that made offers to 0% of their CLS CBs last summer to 70%, and everything between those numbers.

+ 1

It literally varies from 0% to 100%.

dresden doll

Postby dresden doll » Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:50 pm

I wish our OCS wasn't so useless that it can't even provide us with CBs to offer ratios.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:00 pm

dresden doll wrote:I wish our OCS wasn't so useless that it can't even provide us with CBs to offer ratios.

I'm sure they have it. They probably just aren't giving it to you.

dresden doll

Postby dresden doll » Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
dresden doll wrote:I wish our OCS wasn't so useless that it can't even provide us with CBs to offer ratios.

I'm sure they have it. They probably just aren't giving it to you.

I don't understand the rationale for that, if so.

Return to “Legal Employment”