OCI call backs

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273186
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

OCI call backs

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:31 am

Do you guys know what's the likelihood of one getting hired after one receives/attends 2nd interview with a biglaw firm?

User avatar
Zugzwang
Posts: 487
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:49 pm

Re: OCI call backs

Postby Zugzwang » Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:34 am

1%

User avatar
Kohinoor
Posts: 2756
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:51 pm

Re: OCI call backs

Postby Kohinoor » Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:42 am

100%

User avatar
Zugzwang
Posts: 487
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:49 pm

Re: OCI call backs

Postby Zugzwang » Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:42 am

Anonymous User wrote:100%

flame

Anonymous User
Posts: 273186
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: OCI call backs

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:56 am

I was looking for a knowledgeable answer. Maybe statistics, but I guess I'm not going to get that.


Aqualibrium
Posts: 2011
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:57 am

Re: OCI call backs

Postby Aqualibrium » Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:00 am

Anonymous User wrote:I was looking for a knowledgeable answer. Maybe statistics, but I guess I'm not going to get that.


It depends on the firm, the market, the time you had your callback, etc... No one can give you a concrete answer to this. No percentage or statistic you read will be directly applicable to your situation or make you any more or less likely to get an offer.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273186
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: OCI call backs

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:14 am

OK.... let me ask a diff. question? Do a lot of people get callbacks from the firms they interview with?

I interviewed with this pretty large firm late last month, and a firm rep called back today. I'm just wondering if getting a second interview is a big deal and means they really liked me or do a bunch of people always get callbacks?

Aqualibrium
Posts: 2011
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:57 am

Re: OCI call backs

Postby Aqualibrium » Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:21 am

Anonymous User wrote:OK.... let me ask a diff. question? Do a lot of people get callbacks from the firms they interview with?

I interviewed with this pretty large firm late last month, and a firm rep called back today. I'm just wondering if getting a second interview is a big deal and means they really liked me or do a bunch of people always get callbacks?



A callback means you have at least a chance at an offer. A firm would be waisting their time giving you a callback if they didn't think some thing about you made you at least a marginally viable candidate for a position with the firm. To answer the rest of your question...well I can't. A lot of people get callbacks. Then again, a lot of people don't. Some firms give out only a few and have a pretty high offer rate. Some firms give out a lot and have a lower offer rate.

You got a callback. Congratulations. You now have a better chance at getting a job with that firm than you did initially. Relax, and don't worry so much about statistics that don't mean much/can't help you much.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273186
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: OCI call backs

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:25 am

Aqualibrium wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:OK.... let me ask a diff. question? Do a lot of people get callbacks from the firms they interview with?

I interviewed with this pretty large firm late last month, and a firm rep called back today. I'm just wondering if getting a second interview is a big deal and means they really liked me or do a bunch of people always get callbacks?



A callback means you have at least a chance at an offer. A firm would be waisting their time giving you a callback if they didn't think some thing about you made you at least a marginally viable candidate for a position with the firm. To answer the rest of your question...well I can't. A lot of people get callbacks. Then again, a lot of people don't. Some firms give out only a few and have a pretty high offer rate. Some firms give out a lot and have a lower offer rate.

You got a callback. Congratulations. You now have a better chance at getting a job with that firm than you did initially. Relax, and don't worry so much about statistics that don't mean much/can't help you much.



yeah... I know! It was more curiosity than anything else. We'll see what happens.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273186
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: OCI call backs

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:25 am

Anonymous User wrote:Do you guys know what's the likelihood of one getting hired after one receives/attends 2nd interview with a biglaw firm?



By 2nd interview, you mean callback, right?

Aqualibrium
Posts: 2011
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:57 am

Re: OCI call backs

Postby Aqualibrium » Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:26 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Aqualibrium wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:OK.... let me ask a diff. question? Do a lot of people get callbacks from the firms they interview with?

I interviewed with this pretty large firm late last month, and a firm rep called back today. I'm just wondering if getting a second interview is a big deal and means they really liked me or do a bunch of people always get callbacks?



A callback means you have at least a chance at an offer. A firm would be waisting their time giving you a callback if they didn't think some thing about you made you at least a marginally viable candidate for a position with the firm. To answer the rest of your question...well I can't. A lot of people get callbacks. Then again, a lot of people don't. Some firms give out only a few and have a pretty high offer rate. Some firms give out a lot and have a lower offer rate.

You got a callback. Congratulations. You now have a better chance at getting a job with that firm than you did initially. Relax, and don't worry so much about statistics that don't mean much/can't help you much.



yeah... I know! It was more curiosity than anything else. We'll see what happens.



I totally understand. Good luck.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273186
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: OCI call backs

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:29 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Do you guys know what's the likelihood of one getting hired after one receives/attends 2nd interview with a biglaw firm?



By 2nd interview, you mean callback, right?


yes.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273186
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: OCI call backs

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:31 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Do you guys know what's the likelihood of one getting hired after one receives/attends 2nd interview with a biglaw firm?



By 2nd interview, you mean callback, right?


yes.



Totally depends on the firm, your school, rank, timing of CB, etc. No one answer to this. My school, for example, gives us the data on the CB to summer offer rate for my school's students for all the firms that did OCI last year...it varied from 0% to 100% to everywhere in between. There's no definitive answer to your question.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273186
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: OCI call backs

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:32 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Do you guys know what's the likelihood of one getting hired after one receives/attends 2nd interview with a biglaw firm?



By 2nd interview, you mean callback, right?


yes.



Totally depends on the firm, your school, rank, timing of CB, etc. No one answer to this. My school, for example, gives us the data on the CB to summer offer rate for my school's students for all the firms that did OCI last year...it varied from 0% to 100% to everywhere in between. There's no definitive answer to your question.



what do you mean by timing of CB?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273186
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: OCI call backs

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:33 am

Rolling offers given can mean that a later callback will result in a lower likelihood of getting an offer.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273186
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: OCI call backs

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:36 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Do you guys know what's the likelihood of one getting hired after one receives/attends 2nd interview with a biglaw firm?



By 2nd interview, you mean callback, right?


yes.



Totally depends on the firm, your school, rank, timing of CB, etc. No one answer to this. My school, for example, gives us the data on the CB to summer offer rate for my school's students for all the firms that did OCI last year...it varied from 0% to 100% to everywhere in between. There's no definitive answer to your question.



what do you mean by timing of CB?[/quote]


You remember how when you applied to law school it was best to get in your apps early because fewer and fewer seats are open in the class as time passes due to offers and acceptances? Yeah, that happens with law firms, too. Best to do your CB ASAP.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273186
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: OCI call backs

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:27 pm

Oh OK. I get it! I'm almost 100 percent sure I'm not going to get the job, but we shall see what happens

Anonymous User
Posts: 273186
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: OCI call backs

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:30 pm

GL

Anonymous User
Posts: 273186
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: OCI call backs

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:GL



Thanks!!! Really, if I get this job I will stop posting anonymously because getting it would be a miracle people need to know about. Me getting a big law job is less likely than Sarah Palin becoming the next president.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273186
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: OCI call backs

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:GL



Thanks!!! Really, if I get this job I will stop posting anonymously because getting it would be a miracle people need to know about. Me getting a big law job is less likely than Sarah Palin becoming the next president.



Go in with a positive attitude. In all seriousness.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273186
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: OCI call backs

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:06 am

When I went in for my first callback, I was sitting in the reception area, looking around, and freaking out over the possibility that just maaaaybe I would be working there

Anonymous User
Posts: 273186
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: OCI call backs

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:09 am

Anonymous User wrote:When I went in for my first callback, I was sitting in the reception area, looking around, and freaking out over the possibility that just maaaaybe I would be working there

No kidding. I worked in biglaw as a paralegal before but it was surreal being in a biglaw firm lobby thinking that I might be working there.

User avatar
KMaine
Posts: 862
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:57 pm

Re: OCI call backs

Postby KMaine » Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:06 am

surreal

You went to the firm with the dripping clocks in the lobby as well?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273186
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: OCI call backs

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:18 am

At my t14 school, career office said it varies a lot but your odds are something like 30% on average?




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.