No CB?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

No CB?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:24 pm

I was wondering how common this was? Can people share what school and gpa range if they have 0?

Re: No CB?

Postby 270910 » Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:37 pm

An overwhelming majority of law students do not have, and will never receive, any callbacks for summer 2011 associate positions.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:49 pm

disco_barred wrote:An overwhelming majority of law students do not have, and will never receive, any callbacks for summer 2011 associate positions.

Hmm, where are you getting this info from? I don't know anyone with 0 callbacks... maybe they're not telling me but everyone I know has at least 3 (and no, they're not just lr top 10% ppl). I go to a T10.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:50 pm

What should one in this position do now? Ie...where should they look for summer 2011 jobs?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
disco_barred wrote:An overwhelming majority of law students do not have, and will never receive, any callbacks for summer 2011 associate positions.

Hmm, where are you getting this info from? I don't know anyone with 0 callbacks... maybe they're not telling me but everyone I know has at least 3 (and no, they're not just lr top 10% ppl). I go to a T10.

I know a friend of mine who got 0. We are both at CLS.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What should one in this position do now? Ie...where should they look for summer 2011 jobs?

Mass mail. I managed to get a CB in a secondary market by doing this. NALP quick search is the best way to get all major and medium firms in any given state along with legal recruiting department information.

Postby 270910 » Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

. . .

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:05 pm

disco_barred wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

. . .

I think us 0CBers would be happy to find some camaraderie. 0CB at CLS really sucks but it is more meaningful to also have data for grades. Bc top 30% at CLS with 0 CB is one thing but bottom 30% is another.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
disco_barred wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

. . .

I think us 0CBers would be happy to find some camaraderie. 0CB at CLS really sucks but it is more meaningful to also have data for grades. Bc top 30% at CLS with 0 CB is one thing but bottom 30% is another.

I'm not privy to my buddy's grades, but I imagine they are around the same as mine--somewhat below median.

presh

Postby presh » Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:10 pm

Last edited by presh on Sun Dec 27, 2015 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What should one in this position do now? Ie...where should they look for summer 2011 jobs?

I agree... mass mail all the secondary markets. I got 2 CBs through this. But don't just send a generic cover letter, really research what the firm does and mention that you want to practice in that area and show why your experiences connect with that. I know that this is very tedious but it really works. You might have to send out 100 apps (cover letter, transcript, resume) and only get 1 but keep trying... check your OCS's database for mid-law firms too.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:20 pm

I got 2 callbacks and consider myself lucky. T10, bottom 40%. Already got a rejection at one of those callbacks, though.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:51 pm

Chicago, bottom 40%, no CBs

Postby 98234872348 » Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:06 am

as much as i like disco, I hate him for this post.

it has nothing to do with detracting from the reality of this post, either.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:34 am

Anonymous User wrote:
disco_barred wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

. . .

I think his ellipses might be intended to indicate you have tunnel vision. You go to a top ten. "Majority of law students" would include all law schools. Having 0 CBs at CLS is different from having 0 CBs at GW or Loyola (I don't have anything against these schools - just wrote down the first non-T14s I though of). If you include all law schools, then yes the majority don't and won't have CBs.[/quote]

Uh, not getting a CB at CLS and not getting a CB at GW throws you into the same situation, dood (in terms of not getting BIGLAW, I'm not talking PI options, here).

presh

Postby presh » Sat Sep 04, 2010 2:05 am

Last edited by presh on Sun Dec 27, 2015 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 04, 2010 2:33 am

presh wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Uh, not getting a CB at CLS and not getting a CB at GW throws you into the same situation, dood (in terms of not getting BIGLAW, I'm not talking PI options, here).

Not being a moron, I was not arguing that having 0 CBs doesn't suck for anyone, regardless of school.

Having 0 CBs is more unusual, though not impossible, at a top ten school. Thus it made no sense to counter an assertion about the experiences of the majority of students (at all schools, including T3 and T4) with the experiences of the students at a top ten.

Where did I say you were a moron?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 04, 2010 3:00 am

Anonymous User wrote:
presh wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Uh, not getting a CB at CLS and not getting a CB at GW throws you into the same situation, dood (in terms of not getting BIGLAW, I'm not talking PI options, here).

Not being a moron, I was not arguing that having 0 CBs doesn't suck for anyone, regardless of school.

Having 0 CBs is more unusual, though not impossible, at a top ten school. Thus it made no sense to counter an assertion about the experiences of the majority of students (at all schools, including T3 and T4) with the experiences of the students at a top ten.

Bolded is not true. While I am new to my t10 (transfer not 1L) I know several people with 0 callbacks. It is still early for us since our OCI ends next week but far from "unusual" to have 0. I thought coming into this that no callbacks = no personality at a t 10, but this is far far far from true. I was top 3% at my old school and firms have flat out told me I am unhireable because of the school despite where my degree will be from when I graduate. It is rough out there.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 04, 2010 3:04 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
presh wrote:

Bolded is not true. While I am new to my t10 (transfer not 1L) I know several people with 0 callbacks. It is still early for us since our OCI ends next week but far from "unusual" to have 0. I thought coming into this that no callbacks = no personality at a t 10, but this is far far far from true. I was top 3% at my old school and firms have flat out told me I am unhireable because of the school despite where my degree will be from when I graduate. It is rough out there.

And, all the non-transfers are secretly resentful of you guys, whether they express it to your face or not. They see you as taking their jobs (even if particular individuals are not getting CBs).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 04, 2010 3:38 am

Anonymous User wrote:And, all the non-transfers are secretly resentful of you guys, whether they express it to your face or not. They see you as taking their jobs (even if particular individuals are not getting CBs).

As a t10 transfer, I sure as heck haven't gotten any indicators of 'resentment' at my new school. I mean, frankly, if some people do harbor some mixed feelings about transfers "getting in" easier than they did as 0Ls, it bears reminding that the difference between an 0L getting into 1 school and another 0L not - can be as little as 2 bubbles on the LSAT.

spanktheduck

Postby spanktheduck » Sat Sep 04, 2010 3:43 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:And, all the non-transfers are secretly resentful of you guys, whether they express it to your face or not. They see you as taking their jobs (even if particular individuals are not getting CBs).

As a t10 transfer, I sure as heck haven't gotten any indicators of 'resentment' at my new school. I mean, frankly, if some people do harbor some mixed feelings about transfers "getting in" easier than they did as 0Ls, it bears reminding that the difference between an 0L getting into 1 school and another 0L not - can be as little as 2 bubbles on the LSAT.

Agreed. There are tranfers at my school. They are cool guys. What they hell do I care where they went for 1L. While a few people may care, most do not.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 04, 2010 4:05 am

spanktheduck wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Agreed. There are tranfers at my school. They are cool guys. What they hell do I care where they went for 1L. While a few people may care, most do not.

It's definitely been complained about at CLS. Maybe because we take like 80, though. People just don't say it straight up to them.

spanktheduck

Postby spanktheduck » Sat Sep 04, 2010 4:37 am

Anonymous User wrote:
spanktheduck wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

It's definitely been complained about at CLS. Maybe because we take like 80, though. People just don't say it straight up to them.

I imagine if my school took 80 as well, I might be slightly annoyed.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 04, 2010 6:21 am

mistergoft wrote:

as much as i like disco, I hate him for this post.

it has nothing to do with detracting from the reality of this post, either.

It's unpalatable and it sucks, but you cannot hate him for being right. I have no CBs, though my story is somewhat colorful and unusual. I am a bit above top quarter at a BC/BU range school. I am also on a good journal, and have a modest amount of WE. I had eleven screening interviews and have now heard back from eight... (We do have more firms coming, but these are the results from the early week at my school.)

Everyone I talked to with similar grades had better luck (the line for CBs here seems to be about top third, with most people above top quarter who didn't bid ridiculously getting at least one.) In my case, I know it has to do with my educational background prior to coming to law school. My physicality might have also played a role, if people were less likely to see me as a serious student. I am not thrilled about it but I don't take it personally. I was just offered an internship with the general counsel at a major company in my field, and I will take that for the school year and see where it leads. Having 0 CBs is not an awful thing for me, but it does mean I will have to think creatively to find employers interested in someone with my background. People survive having 0 callbacks just fine, and I know I will.

KMaine

Postby KMaine » Sat Sep 04, 2010 6:47 am

Anonymous User wrote: In my case, I know it has to do with my educational background prior to coming to law school. My physicality might have also played a role, if people were less likely to see me as a serious student. I am not thrilled about it but I don't take it personally. I

Can you explain?

Return to “Legal Employment”