Turning down Wachtell

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Turning down Wachtell

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:59 pm

Do you think anyone ever turns down an offer from Wachtell? If so, what do you think they might opt for instead?

Anonymous User

Re: Turning down Wachtell

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Do you think anyone ever turns down an offer from Wachtell? If so, what do you think they might opt for instead?

Not unheard of, AFAIK.

Usually for boutique firms, from the instances I've heard. W&C, Susman, Keker, Beck Redden, Bartlit Beck, etc.

Or, presumably, for firms that specialize in an area that interests them more (I wouldn't be surprised to hear of some Quinn or Boies associates having turned down Wachtell because they really want to litigate). WLRK isn't that great for litigation. I'd bet associates at any of those aforementioned boutique firms would mop the floor with WLRK partners in a courtroom (although maybe not W&C, since I hear you still do a significant amount of bitchwork early on).

Wachtell has fantastic exit opportunities and fantastic pay, but it's not unmatched. Susman, for example, pays as much as, if not more than, Wachtell, and you'll have exit opportunities out your ass (although it may be more confined to jobs that require litigation experience). Same goes for Bartlit. I don't think it's unheard of or impossible for a 3rd or 4th year associate at a lit boutique to lateral into a big law firm as a litigation partner.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Postby 270910 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:03 pm

A lot of people do. Their yield is high, and higher than most, but that's in no small part due to self selection. You have to want what they offer, which includes a narrow practice area and absurd lifestyle concessions.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:18 pm

I've been told of a 3L who turned down Wachtell for Cravath. Weird.

dbt

Postby dbt » Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:20 pm

There are a lot of firms I would take over Wachtell. It's essentially the best for transactional, but there are many better firms for litigation/regulatory work. And I imagine the lifestyle drives many people away.

imchuckbass58

Postby imchuckbass58 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:53 pm

Wachtell's yield at CLS is typically 50-60% (not just basing this on last year, but previous years' statistics as well).

People turn it down all the time, either for boutiques, or just because they think the extra work isn't worth the sacrifice.

vamedic03

Postby vamedic03 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:10 pm

Anyone who wants to do something other than M&A would probably be best served by turning Wachtell down. If you want a general corporate practice, the rest of the Vault 5 is better. If you want litigation, there are better options. If you want a regulatory practice, there are better options.

Wachtell is a great firm, but, the people who have the option of going to Wachtell usually have the introspection to determine whether or not Wachtell is really the best place for them and their career goals.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:15 pm

vamedic03 wrote:Anyone who wants to do something other than M&A would probably be best served by turning Wachtell down. If you want a general corporate practice, the rest of the Vault 5 is better. If you want litigation, there are better options. If you want a regulatory practice, there are better options.

Wachtell is a great firm, but, the people who have the option of going to Wachtell usually have the introspection to determine whether or not Wachtell is really the best place for them and their career goals.

This. Wachtell is the hands-down best at basically one thing. If that one thing isn't what you want to do, you might to better someplace else.

NYAssociate

Postby NYAssociate » Sat Sep 04, 2010 8:57 am

Return to “Legal Employment”