Orrick's "Career Associate" program

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Orrick's "Career Associate" program

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:34 pm

I'm at a T2 and I have a screener with Orrick's WV office in a few weeks. I know that the WV office is Orrick's "Global Operations Center" and that that's where their "Career associates" work, but that's about all I know. There was something on my campus about it last year but I didn't go. From what I remember hearing from other people it sounded like career associates work fewer hours but for less pay. Does anybody know any more specifics? Especially how much less pay we're talking about and how much fewer hours?

MrAnon

Re: Orrick's "Career Associate" program

Postby MrAnon » Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:51 pm

Less pay = around $80K. You'll live like a king in Wheeling or whatever town this office is in. Probably 55 hours per week on an average week. 50 hours per week is often the minimum for staff attorneys in large markets. You'll be expected to do more if you are supporting a busy team.

shmoo597

Postby shmoo597 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:01 pm

Orrick's set up shop in west virginia???

edit: I meant this as a snarky comment but.... they actually do have an office in west virginia!!

bwv812

Postby bwv812 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:15 pm

Last edited by bwv812 on Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:26 pm

Doc review center, right? Like, instead of a basement, you're in Wheeling, WV. (not being snarky; that's just what i read on ATL, iirc)

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Doc review center, right? Like, instead of a basement, you're in Wheeling, WV. (not being snarky; that's just what i read on ATL, iirc)

This is snarky, but yes. Instead of using contract attorneys, etc., They've decided to hire less partner-track associates, give them better work, and give all the doc review, etc. to full-time, non-partner track attorneys.

Corsair

Postby Corsair » Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:13 pm

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:17 pm

Corsair wrote:If you don't mind the whole "I live in West Virginia!" thing, and your alternative is a career in doc review, it may not entirely suck.

$80k doing doc review doesn't look so bad compared to a lot of the entry-level legal jobs out there. If one thought they were in the running for biglaw it would suck ass; but, if you're gunning for midmarket ID as your next-best alternative, it looks pretty good.

Return to “Legal Employment”