Solidish Grades, Few Callbacks - Suggestions?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273373
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Solidish Grades, Few Callbacks - Suggestions?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:39 pm

.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.

User avatar
20160810
Posts: 19648
Joined: Fri May 02, 2008 1:18 pm

Re: Solidish Grades, Few Callbacks - Suggestions?

Postby 20160810 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:40 pm

At my school "GPA < 3.5" just means you're in the bottom 90% of the class. Might want to be more specific for better advice.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273373
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Solidish Grades, Few Callbacks - Suggestions?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:46 pm

SBL wrote:At my school "GPA < 3.5" just means you're in the bottom 90% of the class. Might want to be more specific for better advice.


Hah good point. What I mean is "around a 3.5, but no higher."

Anonymous User
Posts: 273373
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Solidish Grades, Few Callbacks - Suggestions?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:47 pm

How do you assess yourself in terms of interviewing?

User avatar
20160810
Posts: 19648
Joined: Fri May 02, 2008 1:18 pm

Re: Solidish Grades, Few Callbacks - Suggestions?

Postby 20160810 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
SBL wrote:At my school "GPA < 3.5" just means you're in the bottom 90% of the class. Might want to be more specific for better advice.


Hah good point. What I mean is "around a 3.5, but no higher."

This should put you close to top-10%, no?

I think you're definitely in the running for NorCal firms, esp. since many big firms seem to be giving offers/CBs to people with around 3.5s at my decidedly non-T14 school.

Maybe look on NALP and apply to a few smaller firms too if location is a priority?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273373
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Solidish Grades, Few Callbacks - Suggestions?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How do you assess yourself in terms of interviewing?


I'd say average, but it's hard to tell. I will say that I felt like I had good-to-great conversations in about two-thirds of my interviews, and only remember feeling like an interview went badly two times. That being said, I'm sure there's room to improve - there always is.

User avatar
bwv812
Posts: 548
Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 12:18 am

Re: Solidish Grades, Few Callbacks - Suggestions?

Postby bwv812 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:16 pm

.
Last edited by bwv812 on Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273373
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Solidish Grades, Few Callbacks - Suggestions?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:19 pm

bwv812 wrote:
SBL wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
SBL wrote:At my school "GPA < 3.5" just means you're in the bottom 90% of the class. Might want to be more specific for better advice.


Hah good point. What I mean is "around a 3.5, but no higher."

This should put you close to top-10%, no?

I think you're definitely in the running for NorCal firms, esp. since many big firms seem to be giving offers/CBs to people with around 3.5s at my decidedly non-T14 school.

Maybe look on NALP and apply to a few smaller firms too if location is a priority?


3.5 is probably no better than top-25% at any T14.


Probably around Top 20% at Michigan.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273373
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Solidish Grades, Few Callbacks - Suggestions?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:How do you assess yourself in terms of interviewing?


I'd say average, but it's hard to tell. I will say that I felt like I had good-to-great conversations in about two-thirds of my interviews, and only remember feeling like an interview went badly two times. That being said, I'm sure there's room to improve - there always is.



Really research the firm and the interviewer. I'm sure you have been told that before, but you really have to know what is good about the firm or the interviewer.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273373
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Solidish Grades, Few Callbacks - Suggestions?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:How do you assess yourself in terms of interviewing?


I'd say average, but it's hard to tell. I will say that I felt like I had good-to-great conversations in about two-thirds of my interviews, and only remember feeling like an interview went badly two times. That being said, I'm sure there's room to improve - there always is.



Really research the firm and the interviewer. I'm sure you have been told that before, but you really have to know what is good about the firm or the interviewer.


Totally.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.