NALP 5 offer limit & offer to return to 1L summer firm

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

NALP 5 offer limit & offer to return to 1L summer firm

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:10 pm

Here's the language from the NALP guidelines:

PART V: GENERAL STANDARDS FOR THE TIMING OF OFFERS AND DECISIONS

To promote fair and ethical practices for the interviewing and decision-making process, NALP offers the following standards for the timing of offers and decisions:

A. General Provisions

3. A candidate should not hold open more than five offers of employment at any one time. For each offer received that places a candidate over the offer limit, the candidate should, within one week of receipt of the excess offer, release an offer.

Does that mean no more than 4 open offers + offer to return to 1L summer? I realize there are no NALP police, and I also plan to keep as few open offers at any given time as possible, but this has been bugging me and might trigger the requirement to drop offers unexpectedly.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Re: NALP 5 offer limit & offer to return to 1L summer firm

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:12 pm

Are you seriously worried about having too many offers?

UnTouChablE

Postby UnTouChablE » Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Are you seriously worried about having too many offers?

hahhahahahhahah!!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:17 pm

Why is everyone being such an ass lately? Maybe this guy does have too many offers. Explain the rule or shut up.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Why is everyone being such an ass lately? Maybe this guy does have too many offers. Explain the rule or shut up.

Nobody on this forum works for the NALP or has read any case law (???) or anything else explaining the rule beyond what it says on its face. What do you expect?

OperaSoprano

Postby OperaSoprano » Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:44 pm

This thread was flagged and brought to my attention. The OP's concerns are 100% legitimate, so please limit your responses to constructive and helpful analysis.

2009 Prospective

Postby 2009 Prospective » Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Here's the language from the NALP guidelines:

To promote fair and ethical practices for the interviewing and decision-making process, NALP offers the following standards for the timing of offers and decisions:

A. General Provisions

3. A candidate should not hold open more than five offers of employment at any one time. For each offer received that places a candidate over the offer limit, the candidate should, within one week of receipt of the excess offer, release an offer.

Does that mean no more than 4 open offers + offer to return to 1L summer? I realize there are no NALP police, and I also plan to keep as few open offers at any given time as possible, but this has been bugging me and might trigger the requirement to drop offers unexpectedly.

I think you're perfectly fine interpreting it as 4 open offers + 1L summer offer. My take is that the rule is intended to discourage hording of 2L OCI offers and likely would not contemplate 1L summer employment offers as well.

vamedic03

Postby vamedic03 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Here's the language from the NALP guidelines:

A. General Provisions

I'd recommend talking to your Career Services Office. Its their job, and in their (and your school's) interest, to make sure that you comply with NALP guidelines.

yellowjacket2012

Postby yellowjacket2012 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:08 pm

Last edited by yellowjacket2012 on Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:14 pm

yellowjacket2012 wrote:fwiw, not that ridiculous to have 5+ offers in some areas of law (see IP), I know a half dozen EE people with 15+ cbs, assuming a 1/3 hit rate, thats 5+ offers

A caveat to that kind of abnormal stat: a good number of IP offers will probably come from midsize boutiques that do just IP work, but I'm not sure NALP distinguishes an offer from a midsize firm versus a large firm, etc.

Firms of less than 40 people have a shorter window of time that they must keep an offer open. They may also differentiate in other ways, but that is one I know for sure.

yellowjacket2012

Postby yellowjacket2012 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:28 pm

Last edited by yellowjacket2012 on Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Legal Employment”