Chicago - Jones Day v. Jenner & Block?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Chicago - Jones Day v. Jenner & Block?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:09 pm

I'm on the fence b/w litigation and corporate. I liked both firms people-wise and office-wise. Slightly preferred Jenner but I mean it was sorta the luck of the draw. Any info from you guys about things to consider would be great.

kurla88

Re: Chicago - Jones Day v. Jenner & Block?

Postby kurla88 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:11 pm

Everyone I have ever met from Jones Day (at 1L reception, during interviews) was almost creepily happy, fun and nice. I think it's the ridiculous dream firm of every person at my school.

Don't really know anything about Jenner.

NYAssociate

Postby NYAssociate » Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:20 pm

Last edited by NYAssociate on Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:25 pm

OP here, thanks for the advice. That's interesting and very helpful. I was a little concerned about Jenner b/c it's litigation group is so strong and the corporate practice I think only has ~60 attorneys in Chicago. Its good to know that the corporate side holds its own, since I am still on the fence. I'd love to hear from others. I go to a large east coast school so the Chicago offices of firms don't get much spotlight.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:41 pm

I don't understand why Jenner is considered a "local giant." I practice in Chicago and Jenner is on the same level here as Jones Day and Skadden (at least, for litigation). The giants here are Kirkland, Sidley, and Mayer Brown. Jenner has great litigation, especially appellate, but much of that is in DC. When I was looking, I loved the partners at Jenner, but most of the associates were totally weird.

The Jones Day culture is definitely identifiable, but the "politburo" thing is overstated. It's a chummy place, but there's no ridiculous Krypteia or anything like that policing the culture. People who are there are generally happy to be there. Those who don't like it get out (or don't get hired in the first place). It's nothing to be scared of. And please, "stealthing people for ages"? This has been the up-or-out model of law firms for decades. These were not called stealth layoffs before the down economy. And these are not like other stealth layoffs, which are allegedly linked to performance. These layoffs are given with notice and the firm helps with relocation elsewhere. That's just life--not everyone is cut out for biglaw.

So, I don't know. I have a few friends at Jenner who really like it, but there's a definite culture there--as there is at Jones Day. Sort out what you want, but don't buy into the general conspiratorial talk you hear on ATL and other places about what any firm is REALLY like.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm on the fence b/w litigation and corporate. I liked both firms people-wise and office-wise. Slightly preferred Jenner but I mean it was sorta the luck of the draw. Any info from you guys about things to consider would be great.

Did you receive an offer from Jones Day Chicago?

boolaw

Postby boolaw » Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I don't understand why Jenner is considered a "local giant." I practice in Chicago and Jenner is on the same level here as Jones Day and Skadden (at least, for litigation). The giants here are Kirkland, Sidley, and Mayer Brown. Jenner has great litigation, especially appellate, but much of that is in DC. When I was looking, I loved the partners at Jenner, but most of the associates were totally weird.

I've always wondered about this: Where does Winston & Strawn stack up compared to Sidley and Kirkland? (And Jenner and Mayer Brown).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:46 pm

boolaw wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I don't understand why Jenner is considered a "local giant." I practice in Chicago and Jenner is on the same level here as Jones Day and Skadden (at least, for litigation). The giants here are Kirkland, Sidley, and Mayer Brown. Jenner has great litigation, especially appellate, but much of that is in DC. When I was looking, I loved the partners at Jenner, but most of the associates were totally weird.

I've always wondered about this: Where does Winston & Strawn stack up compared to Sidley and Kirkland? (And Jenner and Mayer Brown).

Winston is up there, though it seems that they're struggling a little bit (like most places--although K&E's corporate and M&A stuff is really picking up according to some friends). They're strong with litigation, but they are definitely one of the more overtly political law firms (on the right) out there. That could be pretty cool if that's your thing. It wasn't mine. I haven't heard much about them other than some partner defections. Solid, but I wasn't a huge fan when I was looking.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:46 pm

boolaw wrote:

For Chicago-Based firms

Kirkland > Sidley >> Mayer >> Winston/Jenner/McDermott

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

I'd agree, though I probably wouldn't put McDermott with Winston and Jenner. Jenner is great at a lot of things (litigation and appellate, esp.), but it's lack of a corporate practice means it's really not gonna compete with any of the 3 really big Chicago firms, overall.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I'd agree, though I probably wouldn't put McDermott with Winston and Jenner. Jenner is great at a lot of things (litigation and appellate, esp.), but it's lack of a corporate practice means it's really not gonna compete with any of the 3 really big Chicago firms, overall.

The only reason I really put McDermott with WInston and Jenner is that although its corporate and litigation practices aren't of the same quality, McDermott has the #1 Private Client and #1 Employee Benefits and Executive Compensation practices in THE COUNTRY. I think that pulls them up.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:17 pm

I didn't interview at JD Chicago, but do have the opportunity to play (at the risk of staying anonymous) a "team sport" with a few of the associates. They are awesome. Not the typical 'lawyer' types, and I got the work/hard play hard feeling from them. It was not a huge sample size I had to meet with, but the associates were great and their take of the office was great. Exit options with Jones Day are a bit better I would guess as well because of the stronger national presence.

Jenner attorneys were very nice, just not outstanding. I got the work hard impression from them, not the play hard tied in with it as much. Still very cool people, just not the type of people that I was able to click with. Jenner may be better if you're 100% certain about staying in Chicago forever.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I didn't interview at JD Chicago, but do have the opportunity to play (at the risk of staying anonymous) a "team sport" with a few of the associates. They are awesome. Not the typical 'lawyer' types, and I got the work/hard play hard feeling from them. It was not a huge sample size I had to meet with, but the associates were great and their take of the office was great. Exit options with Jones Day are a bit better I would guess as well because of the stronger national presence.

Jenner attorneys were very nice, just not outstanding. I got the work hard impression from them, not the play hard tied in with it as much. Still very cool people, just not the type of people that I was able to click with. Jenner may be better if you're 100% certain about staying in Chicago forever.

If you're talking about softball, those dudes are great.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I didn't interview at JD Chicago, but do have the opportunity to play (at the risk of staying anonymous) a "team sport" with a few of the associates. They are awesome. Not the typical 'lawyer' types, and I got the work/hard play hard feeling from them. It was not a huge sample size I had to meet with, but the associates were great and their take of the office was great. Exit options with Jones Day are a bit better I would guess as well because of the stronger national presence.

If you're talking about softball, those dudes are great.

I wasn't talking about softball. I guess they're must be athletes across the firm (it's a smaller office, isn't it?)

Return to “Legal Employment”