Leveraging

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Leveraging

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:12 pm

I have an offer in hand from 1L summer and haven't heard from a few top pics yet (interviewed with them about 2 weeks ago). I thought about trying to leverage that offer into a callback at one of those firms.

Can anyone give some advice as to how I should word this? Also, call or email?

Thanks.

Anonymous User

Re: Leveraging

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:18 pm

Doesn't seem like the best idea. If they want you they'll take you. They probably know where you worked 1L summer from your resume and consider that when deciding about an offer. It doesn't seem prudent to try and "leverage" against the folks who have everything that you want. This isn't law school admissions--there aren't a finite number of top LSAT scores that schools are determined to absorb. Yes, there are a finite number of top law students, but it's not exactly a student's market right now since summer job slots are way down.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Doesn't seem like the best idea. If they want you they'll take you. They probably know where you worked 1L summer from your resume and consider that when deciding about an offer. It doesn't seem prudent to try and "leverage" against the folks who have everything that you want. This isn't law school admissions--there aren't a finite number of top LSAT scores that schools are determined to absorb. Yes, there are a finite number of top law students, but it's not exactly a student's market right now since summer job slots are way down.

I know of at least one top 10 school that strongly advocates this and says they find it "tremendously successful" - they are referring to leveraging one callback for another though, not an offer for a call back (FWIW)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I have an offer in hand from 1L summer and haven't heard from a few top pics yet (interviewed with them about 2 weeks ago). I thought about trying to leverage that offer into a callback at one of those firms.

Can anyone give some advice as to how I should word this? Also, call or email?

Thanks.

This is probably one of the worst ideas I've seen in this subforum. A firm would probably tell you to just take that 1L summer offer then. Most firms ask if you have an offer from your 1L firm during the screening interview so they already know that some firm has taken the time to vet your work and personality and they think that you're not a complete screw up. I just don't see this going well.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:50 pm

Yeah, I can see the merits of leveraging callbacks into other callbacks, or even callbacks into offers (boutique firms X, Y, and Z of very similar reputation in a smaller market - it seems that one of the three firms might be more inclined to give you an offer knowing that their "competitors" are after you).

But leveraging an offer from 1L summer into a callback...why? If you were seriously going to take the offer, why would you be so desperate for a callback with the firm you're attempting to leverage with? Why wouldn't you have taken it? Etc...etc.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:52 pm

OP Here:

I think I just massively failed at explaining what I was wanting to do. Long day.

I was thinking more along the lines of calling up the firm and saying, "I'm on a an offer deadline but am very interested in your firm. When can I expect a decision?" I guess that's not really leveraging but more hoping it leads to something.

Does that seem more acceptable?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:12 am

Do you actually have a deadline by which you have to respond? If so, you can tell them your deadline. If you don't really have a deadline, don't lie.

shuchong

Postby shuchong » Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:34 am

Anonymous User wrote:I was thinking more along the lines of calling up the firm and saying, "I'm on a an offer deadline but am very interested in your firm. When can I expect a decision?" I guess that's not really leveraging but more hoping it leads to something.

This sounds acceptable to me, especially if it's been a few weeks since screening interviews. It has the virtue of sounding completely reasonable: if you're on a deadline, you don't want to be left in the position of letting an offer expire while uncertain that another will come.

I would call recruiting (personal preference... I feel like emails are much easier to ignore, plus there's the whole "they must be perfect because they are writing samples" aspect that I'd rather avoid), explain the situation, and see what they say. So long as you're polite and willing to wait a day or two for them to get back to you, I can't see it hurting.

PwnLaw

Postby PwnLaw » Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:01 am

Won't work. It also shows you fundamentally misunderstand the power dynamic.

Return to “Legal Employment”