Interview Blues

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Interview Blues

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:29 pm

I just want to lament at my distaste for this process. I interviewed at some firms 3 weeks ago and my phone, email, and snail mail have been dead. Some of the interviews were screeners, some of them were "call backs." The anxiety is terrible.

Anyone else have a similar experience, for better or worse?

Re: Interview Blues

Postby 270910 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:55 pm

Yep. This process is very taxing. It isn't just physical exhaustion - though on many days that helps. It's a ton of anxiety, and a lot of social pressure, especially for introverts.

Naps help. As does working out. Or substituting either of those for liquor. Like, enormous amounts of liquor.

radek

Postby radek » Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:57 pm

No me gusta.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:23 pm

disco_barred wrote:Yep. This process is very taxing. It isn't just physical exhaustion - though on many days that helps. It's a ton of anxiety, and a lot of social pressure, especially for introverts.

Naps help. As does working out. Or substituting either of those for liquor. Like, enormous amounts of liquor.

+1

Why do I have to be an introvert? Life is so much easier for extroverts.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:26 pm

I adopted this "I dont care" attitude to the whole thing even during 1L oci. After I got a couple offers this year I started caring even less about how I do in interviews or what a firm thinks. My real anxiety has been centered around picking the right firm.

Pablo Ramirez

Postby Pablo Ramirez » Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I adopted this "I dont care" attitude to the whole thing even during 1L oci. After I got a couple offers this year I started caring even less about how I do in interviews or what a firm thinks. My real anxiety has been centered around picking the right firm.

Good for you. But not everyone enjoys the luxury of having MULTIPLE OFFERS!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:30 pm

Pablo Ramirez wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I adopted this "I dont care" attitude to the whole thing even during 1L oci. After I got a couple offers this year I started caring even less about how I do in interviews or what a firm thinks. My real anxiety has been centered around picking the right firm.

Or even one. :(

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:31 pm

I stopped caring after one offer, since I like the firm.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:32 pm

Pablo Ramirez wrote:

I understand that. I did also point out that even before I knew what was going to happen I didn't care. Being relaxed and being myself in interviews has worked for me. I've gotten my fair share of rejections for sure (in fact, I've gotten waaaaay more rejections than callbacks), but the firms that have given me offers are places that I genuinely like, and who genuinely like me exactly as I am.

I just think you can't worry so much about this stuff. You really cant control it. Obsessing over cb/offer ratio or turnaround time doesnt help anything.

joobacca

Postby joobacca » Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:33 pm

this anxiety crap never stops.

first it's the lsat. then acceptances to school. then grades. now this.

i know what i was getting myself into... but it still sucks

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Pablo Ramirez wrote:

I understand that. I did also point out that even before I knew what was going to happen I didn't care. Being relaxed and being myself in interviews has worked for me. I've gotten my fair share of rejections for sure (in fact, I've gotten waaaaay more rejections than callbacks), but the firms that have given me offers are places that I genuinely like, and who genuinely like me exactly as I am.

I just think you can't worry so much about this stuff. You really cant control it. Obsessing over cb/offer ratio or turnaround time doesnt help anything.

Well said. I find myself obsessively checking this forum to see who got a CB at a firm I interviewed with. Then naturally, when I didn't get one at the same time, I freak. I keep telling myself it's an uneven process, and I think that's likely true. Offers, CB, whatever go out at different times. Maybe I am telling myself this to make me feel better, but it helps.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:56 pm

As someone who is in a similar position at a T10, I share in your pain.

I think the worst part is just the sheer embarrassment. In the past, whenever I heard/met someone who went to a prestigious law school and couldn't land a big firm SA gig, I assumed they lacked all social skills. I hate being in that spot now.

Along those lines - what should those who don't get firm jobs at OCI be doing now? Mass mailing law firms is one obvious answer, but that's unlikely to be successful, especially for those who can't/won't go to secondary markets.

Postby 270910 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:As someone who is in a similar position at a T10, I share in your pain.

I think the worst part is just the sheer embarrassment. In the past, whenever I heard/met someone who went to a prestigious law school and couldn't land a big firm SA gig, I assumed they lacked all social skills. I hate being in that spot now.

Along those lines - what should those who don't get firm jobs at OCI be doing now? Mass mailing law firms is one obvious answer, but that's unlikely to be successful, especially for those who can't/won't go to secondary markets.

Target letters to smaller firms even in big markets (they exist), apply broadly to fed gov jobs, hunt down in house positions (they exist but will be harder to advertise), mail the firms listed on symplicity, "network" shamelessly, talk to career services, ask professors you have a raport with for leads, look into public interest positions, look into political positions (congress, campaigns, etc.), drink.

radek

Postby radek » Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I stopped caring after one offer, since I like the firm.

Thank you for making me feel like shit. I appreciate it.

NYAssociate

Postby NYAssociate » Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:45 pm

Last edited by NYAssociate on Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:24 am

profession of law self-selects depressed people, or people prone to depression

they select it because the legal industry contains certain milestones that can be used as sources of downward comparison (law school, review, rank, firm, etc.)

So all this stuff NYAssoc. put up there - nobody's putting a gun to your head to follow that plan - but most people do because everyone says its a good thing to do

shmoo597

Postby shmoo597 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:24 pm

NYAssociate wrote:

Never have truer words been spoken. Allow me to elaborate:

1) College grades
2) LSAT
3) Applications to law school
4) Fall 1L Exams
5) Spring 1L Exams
6) OCI
7) 2L Exams (if one has plans outside of staying at the firm)
8) Summer Performance Reviews
9) Permanent Offers
10) Clerkship Applications
11) Bar Exam
12) First year associate reviews
13-20) Every single step between associate and partner
20) Partnership decision
21) (assuming you made partner) are you still making it rain? are people pushing you out?

etc. etc.

It never ends, friends. If you can't take it, leave NOW.

After every step, you foolishly think that you are now battle-hardened for the next. Yet, somehow, the next step manages to produce just as much, if not more, anxiety than the previous one.

I had this exact thought yesterday. It never ends. And there are so many points on the path where you can fall off and fail. Each step eliminates more people.

chup

Postby chup » Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:29 pm

NYAssociate wrote:

Never have truer words been spoken. Allow me to elaborate:

1) College grades
2) LSAT
3) Applications to law school
4) Fall 1L Exams
5) Spring 1L Exams
6) OCI
7) 2L Exams (if one has plans outside of staying at the firm)
8) Summer Performance Reviews
9) Permanent Offers
10) Clerkship Applications
11) Bar Exam
12) First year associate reviews
13-20) Every single step between associate and partner
20) Partnership decision
21) (assuming you made partner) are you still making it rain? are people pushing you out?

etc. etc.

It never ends, friends. If you can't take it, leave NOW.

After every step, you foolishly think that you are now battle-hardened for the next. Yet, somehow, the next step manages to produce just as much, if not more, anxiety than the previous one.

I dunno if this dynamic is unique to law. It may be more extreme in the legal profession, but I think this "if I can just get to the next step I will be truly happ-- OK, maybe just one more step after that" dynamic is how many people of our generation treat happiness generally.

NYAssociate

Postby NYAssociate » Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:31 pm

Last edited by NYAssociate on Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Blindmelon

Postby Blindmelon » Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:46 pm

Ya know whats even more awesome? Getting a CB at to a firm well outside your range - then have a great experience at the firm, interviews go really well - have a lot of fun - get good feedback. Then rejected by email 2 days later. Rock on.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:55 pm

Since you at least got a callback, no one feels sorry for you.

Blindmelon

Postby Blindmelon » Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Since you at least got a callback, no one feels sorry for you.

Yea, I'd much rather get my hopes up, waste a whole day interviewing and a day prepping, then to not have to do all those things and end up in the exact same position. /sarcasm.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:06 pm

Blindmelon wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Since you at least got a callback, no one feels sorry for you.

Yea, I'd much rather get my hopes up, waste a whole day interviewing and a day prepping, then to not have to do all those things and end up in the exact same position. /sarcasm.

Right, because meeting with partners/networking/flying to another city on the firm's dime is a TREMENDOUS waste of time. :wink:

Blindmelon

Postby Blindmelon » Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Blindmelon wrote:

Right, because meeting with partners/networking/flying to another city on the firm's dime is a TREMENDOUS waste of time. :wink:

Guess so - but the firm was 20 mins away, theres no way in hell anyone I met would be able to help me out - I got reimbursed for 0 of it. haha

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:09 pm

Blindmelon wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Blindmelon wrote:

Guess so - but the firm was 20 mins away, theres no way in hell anyone I met would be able to help me out - I got reimbursed for 0 of it. haha

Well if you really liked the place, you will be an advantage if you want to lateral in someday. I know it sucks to hear "look on the bright side" when you're disappointed, but...well...try.

Return to “Legal Employment”