I know this partner... how do I approach this?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273142
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

I know this partner... how do I approach this?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:15 pm

Basically, someone at my church told me to contact this guy who is also part of my church and a partner at a big law firm about summer 1L employment. I don't know him per se... but I am a 1L and can use any/all the help I can get.

How do I contact this guy? I just can't resume bomb him? Or should I not do this?

I have no idea about what I should do in regards to networking.

User avatar
skoobily doobily
Posts: 247
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:40 pm

Re: I know this partner... how do I approach this?

Postby skoobily doobily » Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:18 pm

Whatever you do. Don't do it before December 1st.

Aqualibrium
Posts: 2011
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:57 am

Re: I know this partner... how do I approach this?

Postby Aqualibrium » Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:31 pm

You can contact him as a "x person told me you could give me advice on how to navigate" type of thing. That wouldn't be breaking nalp rules.

The opportunity to build a relationship with this guy is probably gonna be better for you than any summer job (it'll probably lead to some type of employment too...even if it isn't at his firm). Don't approach networking as a "what can I get from this guy" deal. I promise you'll learn a lot from the guy, and he'll be more open to teach because of your mutual acquaintance.

lovelaw27
Posts: 218
Joined: Thu Dec 18, 2008 6:35 am

Re: I know this partner... how do I approach this?

Postby lovelaw27 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Basically, someone at my church told me to contact this guy who is also part of my church and a partner at a big law firm about summer 1L employment. I don't know him per se... but I am a 1L and can use any/all the help I can get.

How do I contact this guy? I just can't resume bomb him? Or should I not do this?

I have no idea about what I should do in regards to networking.


Ideally you would have someone introduce you to the partner who knows the partner, like that someone who told you to contact this partner.

Second, if you want good advice about networking read Guerrilla Tactics For Getting The Legal Job of Your Dreams Second Edition.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273142
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: I know this partner... how do I approach this?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:44 pm

lovelaw27 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Basically, someone at my church told me to contact this guy who is also part of my church and a partner at a big law firm about summer 1L employment. I don't know him per se... but I am a 1L and can use any/all the help I can get.

How do I contact this guy? I just can't resume bomb him? Or should I not do this?

I have no idea about what I should do in regards to networking.


Ideally you would have someone introduce you to the partner who knows the partner, like that someone who told you to contact this partner.

Second, if you want good advice about networking read Guerrilla Tactics For Getting The Legal Job of Your Dreams Second Edition.


OP here
The person told me to contact the partner via email about a position/help.

any other ways I should approach this?

I don't really want to wait until nov. 1

270910
Posts: 2437
Joined: Thu May 21, 2009 9:51 pm

Re: I know this partner... how do I approach this?

Postby 270910 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:49 pm

skoobily doobily wrote:Whatever you do. Don't do it before December 1st.


Incorrect. You cannot officially apply before December 1, but it's fine to have contact.

Here's what you should do: Call or email (call more likely to succeed, but obviously tougher) and mention the referal, that you're a 1L, and that you'd love to learn about THE LAW. Ask to meet for coffee or get wisdom or some such. You really can't ask for a job at this juncture. Still, the partner will know what's what, and ideally will at some point offer to forward your resume to recruiting for 1L summer (at which point you wait). If you get valuable advice but no such offer, then on December 1 send in an application to recruiting and mention your contact with that partner in the cover letter.

These things very rarely turn into offers, because firms hire so few 1Ls and individual partners rarely have that much pull for such a small candidate pool. But the above is probably the most professional way to approach the situation.

Also, keep the deadlines straight: Nov 1 is the first time your school's career services can contact you about summer jobs, and Dec 1 is the first time you can apply to NALP employers.

lovelaw27
Posts: 218
Joined: Thu Dec 18, 2008 6:35 am

Re: I know this partner... how do I approach this?

Postby lovelaw27 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:58 pm

OP, what do you mean by “are there any other ways to approach this”. You mean besides having someone introduce you, email, and calling. I am not understanding where you are going with your question.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273142
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: I know this partner... how do I approach this?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:07 pm

lovelaw27 wrote:OP, what do you mean by “are there any other ways to approach this”. You mean besides having someone introduce you, email, and calling. I am not understanding where you are going with your question.


:)

I want to do this perfectly and not really screw it up.

lovelaw27
Posts: 218
Joined: Thu Dec 18, 2008 6:35 am

Re: I know this partner... how do I approach this?

Postby lovelaw27 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:09 pm

Read Guerrilla Tactics For Getting The Legal Job of Your Dreams Second Edition, it will be your bible.

User avatar
TheTopBloke
Posts: 486
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:29 pm

Re: I know this partner... how do I approach this?

Postby TheTopBloke » Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:17 pm

What the hell is wrong with you?

Aqualibrium
Posts: 2011
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:57 am

Re: I know this partner... how do I approach this?

Postby Aqualibrium » Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:19 pm

lovelaw27 wrote:Read Guerrilla Tactics For Getting The Legal Job of Your Dreams Second Edition, it will be your bible.



Annoyed at the endless love this book gets...you'd swear it was an apple product. Whatever, I suppose ITE you should do whatever you can to make yourself attractive to employers.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.