New Hampshire Job Fair

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: New Hampshire Job Fair

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:52 pm

I guess the remaining big guys - Pierce Atwood, Bernstein Shur, Orr & Reno, McLane - are going to wait until after Labor Day?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 04, 2010 2:02 pm

Ding from Pierce Atwood via snail mail today

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 04, 2010 2:47 pm

Did you get sandbagged by his writing sample nonsense like I did?

bostonboy870

Postby bostonboy870 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:23 pm

0L Here. I'm planning to do Boston BigLaw, but I'm curious of the pay for NH firms.

Does anyone know the salaries for NH firms -- like Sheehan Phinney, Mclane, Orr & Reno, etc. Thanks.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:35 pm

bostonboy870 wrote:0L Here. I'm planning to do Boston BigLaw, but I'm curious of the pay for NH firms.

Does anyone know the salaries for NH firms -- like Sheehan Phinney, Mclane, Orr & Reno, etc. Thanks.

NALP Quick Search, bro:

--LinkRemoved--

Type in the firm name, click the link, and scroll down for salary info. Definitely will be less than Boston.

bostonboy870

Postby bostonboy870 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:NALP Quick Search, bro:

--LinkRemoved--

Type in the firm name, click the link, and scroll down for salary info. Definitely will be less than Boston.

I already tried that. There is only one NH firm on there, and they don't even list their salary.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:41 pm

bostonboy870 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:NALP Quick Search, bro:

--LinkRemoved--

I already tried that. There is only one NH firm on there, and they don't even list their salary.

Try Martindale. Or, do a firm search on Lexis.

Maine firms start at 70 - 77k, so I imagine NH is comparable.

bostonboy870

Postby bostonboy870 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Try Martindale. Or, do a firm search on Lexis.

No help there either.

That's what I thought. I was hoping it would be closer to 100k. I'm probably gonna lateral out of Boston biglaw after a few years, so I wanted to see how much of a hit I would be taking.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:59 pm

bostonboy870 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Try Martindale. Or, do a firm search on Lexis.

No help there either.

That's what I thought. I was hoping it would be closer to 100k. I'm probably gonna lateral out of Boston biglaw after a few years, so I wanted to see how much of a hit I would be taking.

No sales tax, though. Plus, you can buy liquor on Sundays!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:07 am

bump

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:51 pm

Question for someone out of the area - how competitive are the firms up there in NH / ME, etc?

Are they pretty closed to people who don't go to school in the New England area, or would they be receptive to someone from outside there who has done well in their school?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:32 pm

kalvano wrote:Question for someone out of the area - how competitive are the firms up there in NH / ME, etc?

Are they pretty closed to people who don't go to school in the New England area, or would they be receptive to someone from outside there who has done well in their school?

You need a good reason to work in NE if you are not from there. It's much easier to move from state to state if you are from one of the states v not being from the region at all (eg: MA to NH or something, but go to law school in NY).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:33 pm

kalvano wrote:Question for someone out of the area - how competitive are the firms up there in NH / ME, etc?

For what it's worth, I was shut out by my home state of MA. I'm at CLS, medianish grades.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:50 pm

anyone heard from Nelson kinder or Wadleigh??

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:anyone heard from Nelson kinder or Wadleigh??

Interested in Wadleigh as well.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:35 pm

bump

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

You need a good reason to work in NE if you are not from there. It's much easier to move from state to state if you are from one of the states v not being from the region at all (eg: MA to NH or something, but go to law school in NY).

How about "I hate where I am from and love where you are"?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:49 pm

kalvano wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

How about "I hate where I am from and love where you are"?

You need to have some sort of connection. Something more solid than "I like the fact that the leaves change color here!"

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:You need to have some sort of connection. Something more solid than "I like the fact that the leaves change color here!"

My grandfather is from the area, and I spent a ton of time there. It's not a whim to suddenly move there. I'd be happy anywhere in New Hampshire, Maine, Vermont, Rhode Island.

I don't know if that's a significant enough connection, but I do know the area. I can demonstrate that I want to be there instead of here, and wouldn't bolt at the first winter.

Of course, it's a bit early to worry about it, I was just curious. I'd imagine that in order for it to even be slightly feasible, I'd need pretty good grades. I was more just wondering if the competition for jobs is intense or not. I know that jumping from here to Chicago / D.C. / NYC is virtually impossible, I just didn't know if the same was true of smaller places like NH or ME.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:54 pm

kalvano wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:You need to have some sort of connection. Something more solid than "I like the fact that the leaves change color here!"

My grandfather is from the area, and I spent a ton of time there. It's not a whim to suddenly move there. I'd be happy anywhere in New Hampshire, Maine, Vermont, Rhode Island.

I don't know if that's a significant enough connection, but I do know the area. I can demonstrate that I want to be there instead of here, and wouldn't bolt at the first winter.

Of course, it's a bit early to worry about it, I was just curious. I'd imagine that in order for it to even be slightly feasible, I'd need pretty good grades. I was more just wondering if the competition for jobs is intense or not. I know that jumping from here to Chicago / D.C. / NYC is virtually impossible, I just didn't know if the same was true of smaller places like NH or ME.

You are up against all the local schools from where they tend to take on new associates. UNH, UME, etc.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:19 pm

So just stand out next to them (I'm assuming this would only be possible given top 15% or so, with LR or moot court or something like that), and present at least a reasonable explanation of why I want to be there instead of here. A cover letter explaining that, or something else?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:01 am

kalvano wrote:So just stand out next to them (I'm assuming this would only be possible given top 15% or so, with LR or moot court or something like that), and present at least a reasonable explanation of why I want to be there instead of here. A cover letter explaining that, or something else?

To put it in perspective im in the top 10% of my class from one of the local schools near NH, secondary journal, moot court, etc. and I am having a hard time breaking into the larger firms up in NH/ME through OCI so far. Just to clarify, a large firm in NH/ME is any firm over 30 lawyers. Largest firm in NH has about 40, and in ME its 90. So for SA positions with those firms they are hiring one, maybe two people for their respective SA programs, (with a few exceptions such as Preti Flarherty, Pierce Atwood, etc.) I would imagine being out of region you would need to either be at a highly ranked school in addition to the criteria that you listed above.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:25 am

Thanks for the help. I'd honestly take large firm, small firm, whoever wanted me just to get up there and get my foot in the door. Hopefully, things will be a little better in 3 years, or I'll just be so awesome that they take notice.

I'll stop derailing the thread now.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:52 am

O&R CB is out.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:O&R CB is out.

:::tear:::: looks like no CB for me :cry:

Return to “Legal Employment”