Freshfields

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Freshfields

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:33 am

Anyone receive an offer or rejection yet?

Anonymous User

Re: Freshfields

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:26 pm

bump

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:bump

I know a Boaltie who has a call back next week and apparently there will be a bunch there at/around the same time. They may be waiting till that wave of CBs (100% speculation).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:bump

I know a Boaltie who has a call back next week and apparently there will be a bunch there at/around the same time. They may be waiting till that wave of CBs (100% speculation).

bump

radek

Postby radek » Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:18 pm

Is this a supermarket or a law firm?

NYAssociate

Postby NYAssociate » Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:20 pm

Last edited by NYAssociate on Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kings84_wr

Postby kings84_wr » Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:24 pm

NYAssociate wrote:
radek wrote:Is this a supermarket or a law firm?

Whatever it is, they're getting new digs.

I interviewed with them at one point. Thought they were completely delusional.

In my interview the screener told me in Five years they will control the legal world

NYAssociate

Postby NYAssociate » Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:28 pm

Last edited by NYAssociate on Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kings84_wr

Postby kings84_wr » Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:30 pm

He said that globally they are miles ahead of any law firm and in the global climate they will control the legal world in five years. No joke haha, he was very confident about it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:32 pm

NYAssociate wrote:
kings84_wr wrote:
NYAssociate wrote:

In my interview the screener told me in Five years they will control the legal world

Wait, did that seriously happen? My callback interviewer said they plan to become one of the top three litigation departments in the nation. I chortled and tried to hide it with a fart.

I was also rejected.

Had another magic circle firm tell me something similar. I smiled and nodded enthusiastically. Got the callback the next day.

NYAssociate

Postby NYAssociate » Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:33 pm

Last edited by NYAssociate on Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:05 pm

so people have already received post callback dings?? I did my callback last week and haven't heard anything yet.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:03 pm

kings84_wr wrote:He said that globally they are miles ahead of any law firm and in the global climate they will control the legal world in five years. No joke haha, he was very confident about it.

say what you want, but which firm books more Profits per Partner, Cravath, Simpson, Kirkland, or Freshfields?
Answer: Freshfields

http://www.law.com/jsp/tal/PubArticleTA ... 2434163159

dbt

Postby dbt » Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:05 pm

NYAssociate wrote:
kings84_wr wrote:
NYAssociate wrote:

Wait, did that seriously happen? My callback interviewer said they plan to become one of the top three litigation departments in the nation. I chortled and tried to hide it with a fart.

I was also rejected.

Tyft.

kings84_wr

Postby kings84_wr » Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:30 am

Anonymous User wrote:
kings84_wr wrote:He said that globally they are miles ahead of any law firm and in the global climate they will control the legal world in five years. No joke haha, he was very confident about it.

say what you want, but which firm books more Profits per Partner, Cravath, Simpson, Kirkland, or Freshfields?
Answer: Freshfields

http://www.law.com/jsp/tal/PubArticleTA ... 2434163159

Oh yeah Im not doubting they are legit globally, it just seemed like a funny thing to say the first 2 minutes of a screening interview is all.

NYAssociate

Postby NYAssociate » Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:21 am

Last edited by NYAssociate on Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:31 am

I believe it, particularly in the U.S. The lit practice opened in 2009 and it is already chambers ranked. It is the top ranked European (and British) firm, with, among other things, the most M & A deals. The partner during my callback told me the U.S. is now the firm's main expansion focus ( the new managing partner is American) and that it is happening very very quickly http://amlawdaily.typepad.com/amlawdail ... .html#more . It is sort of a sick opportunity since they have such few midlevels and the best global clients. If I got the offer, I would take it in a heartbeat.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:36 am

Anonymous User wrote:I believe it, particularly in the U.S. The lit practice opened in 2009 and it is already chambers ranked. It is the top ranked European (and British) firm, with, among other things, the most M & A deals. The partner during my callback told me the U.S. is now the firm's main expansion focus ( the new managing partner is American) and that it is happening very very quickly http://amlawdaily.typepad.com/amlawdail ... .html#more . It is sort of a sick opportunity since they have such few midlevels and the best global clients. If I got the offer, I would take it in a heartbeat.

+178

I loved them after my callback. Keeping fingers crossed for an offer. Anyone know how many people they are taking this year? Also, has anyone gotten a ding or an offer after the callback yet?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I believe it, particularly in the U.S. The lit practice opened in 2009 and it is already chambers ranked. It is the top ranked European (and British) firm, with, among other things, the most M & A deals. The partner during my callback told me the U.S. is now the firm's main expansion focus ( the new managing partner is American) and that it is happening very very quickly http://amlawdaily.typepad.com/amlawdail ... .html#more . It is sort of a sick opportunity since they have such few midlevels and the best global clients. If I got the offer, I would take it in a heartbeat.

+178

I loved them after my callback. Keeping fingers crossed for an offer. Anyone know how many people they are taking this year? Also, has anyone gotten a ding or an offer after the callback yet?

Who did you meet with?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:15 pm

snail mail ding today

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:04 pm

I interviewed for the Hong Kong office. Still waiting to hear back.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:snail mail ding today

when was the cb?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:snail mail ding today

when was the cb?

Aug 31.

NYAssociate

Postby NYAssociate » Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:02 pm

Last edited by NYAssociate on Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 11, 2010 5:10 pm

NYAssociate wrote:

It's not that difficult to become "chambers ranked." However, the firm's goals would call for it beating out top litigation shops and to become the go-to M&A shop in the US. That won't happen. At the very least, it won't happen while you're an associate there. There's simply a long list of firms that are already dominant in those fields, and then there's an even longer list of firms that are trying to beat them out (and not doing super well at that). There's no reason to believe Freshfields will encounter any more success than those firms.

Sorry to hear about your dingaling. The way that law firms usually make significant gains in the U.S. in terms of new business and moving up in the rankings is by stealing top partners from other firms. Freshfields has lockstep pay for partners and purports to have one of the highest profit per partner in the world. I don't think it will be too difficult for Freshfields to keep attracting new talent, if it is actually what the law firm wants to do.

I don't think the OP was saying that Freshfields is going to become the top M&A shop in the U.S. But it doesn't take a genius to see that the firm is growing very quickly and you would be at a huge advantage as a young associate to jump on that ship.

Return to “Legal Employment”