Probably stupid mass mailing question

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
starstruck393

Re: Probably stupid mass mailing question

Postby starstruck393 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:26 pm

Should you be sending a writing sample with the cover letter/resume? What do most people use? Also, if your SO is a tie, do you put that in the cover letter (instead of bringing it up during an interview)?

stinger35

Postby stinger35 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:33 pm

If you attach the cover letter and resume to the email, what do you put in the body of the email?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:38 pm

paratactical wrote:
MrKappus wrote:@SBL: Vel-kom to the nineties Mr. Bond. Seriously though, 100% of offices have upgraded to Office '07 or beyond, so there shouldn't be any compatibility issues. I just like to send PDFs so the text is unalterable and even dinosaur partners w/ Commodore PC's can open 'em.

This is entirely untrue. I know of, for certain and off the top of my head, at least 3 V50 firms that don't use .docx

Fortunately, I am out of contention for employment at V50 firms for reasons having more to do with my general mediocrity than the format of my electronic resume.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:42 pm

starstruck393 wrote:Should you be sending a writing sample with the cover letter/resume? What do most people use? Also, if your SO is a tie, do you put that in the cover letter (instead of bringing it up during an interview)?

Look at the website for the firm's SA program. Some of them will spell out the documents which interested candidates are required to send, others don't. If they don't, just go with a resume and cover letter. If they do, send precisely what they require. Generally, if they get your resume/cover letter and are interested, they'll often write back asking for a transcript and/or writing sample.

As for the body of the email, I recommend a very brief email with a polite and cheery salutation, explaining that you're interested in a SA position for next year, and stating matter-of-factly what documents you've attached. I tend to end by wishing them well, saying I'd be delighted to provide any additional information, and then slapping on ye olde emal sig with my name and contact info. They're (at least hopefully) going to be giving a careful eye to your resume and cover letter, so it's unwise to make the email recipient sick of you before they even get to the attachments.

paratactical

Postby paratactical » Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:43 pm

Last edited by paratactical on Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:56 pm

When should we stop mass-mailing? I heard anything after the first/second week of September is too late.

Postby 20160810 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:When should we stop mass-mailing? I heard anything after the first/second week of September is too late.

This is probably correct. If you get absolutely amazing grades fall semester 2L it might be worth a few targeted mailings to smaller firms in Jan., but even that is likely to yield zilch.

MrKappus

Postby MrKappus » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:01 pm

paratactical wrote:
MrKappus wrote:@SBL: Vel-kom to the nineties Mr. Bond. Seriously though, 100% of offices have upgraded to Office '07 or beyond, so there shouldn't be any compatibility issues. I just like to send PDFs so the text is unalterable and even dinosaur partners w/ Commodore PC's can open 'em.

This is entirely untrue. I know of, for certain and off the top of my head, at least 3 V50 firms that don't use .docx

You know of 3 V50 firms that use a 7 year-old version of Microsoft Office? No. No you don't.

paratactical

Postby paratactical » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:05 pm

Last edited by paratactical on Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MrKappus

Postby MrKappus » Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:11 am

paratactical wrote:
MrKappus wrote:
paratactical wrote:

You know of 3 V50 firms that use a 7 year-old version of Microsoft Office? No. No you don't.

Yes I do. One is planning to convert in two months, the other "next spring". The third hasn't said when. But yes, I do.

*Edited for combativeness (whoops)*
Which ones? I've had the chance to work with a lot of firms, usually large ones (e.g., processing capability assessments and RFPs) and have never seen a firm using nearly decade-old software. I know people at most V50s, from work or school, and would like to veryify.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:02 am

I know for a fact that S&C just upgraded from MS 03 to 07 within the last year and still has many computers that haven't been upgraded. They also still use IE6 "for security reasons" so half the internet doesn't work properly. They're V3 for anyone who's keeping score.

By the way, I just came across this convo now so I'm not the person you were talking to before.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:52 am

At my old job, my boss couldn't open up .docx files. He used to have to send them to me, I would have to open them, convert them to .doc files and send them back. We used to get tons of resumes so I'm sure those in .docx format never made it past opening the e-mail.

My speculation of why big firms still have old software? ITE. Saves $$$.

stinger35

Postby stinger35 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:57 pm

Should transcripts be sent with mass mail (whether electronic or snail)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:12 pm

stinger35 wrote:Should transcripts be sent with mass mail (whether electronic or snail)

Look at the website description of their summer program. If it requests that you send a transcript, send a transcript. If it is silent on the issue, just go with a cover letter and resume. If they're interested enough to care, they'll write back and ask for one. Otherwise, you're just wasting bandwidth.

Return to “Legal Employment”