morning vs. afternoon callbacks

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

best callback time

morning
48%
afternoon
13%
no difference
38%

Total votes: 52

shmoo597

morning vs. afternoon callbacks

Postby shmoo597 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:03 am

I'm curious as to what people think about scheduling morning vs. afternoon callbacks. My instinct is that the morning is better (people are fresh, awake, etc), but I also think I might be over thinking this and that it doesn't matter. I also assume that scheduling a callback earlier on the calendar always trumps time of day. What do you guys think?

Re: morning vs. afternoon callbacks

Postby 270910 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:05 am

It's a test. No law firm has ever hired somebody stupid enough to schedule an afternoon callback. Seriously, what a dumb thing that would be. lol.

. . .

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:15 am

Afternoon callback = free booze

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:44 pm

Morning callback= free lunch.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:58 pm

I think it depends on the market. NYC afternoon may mean free booze, but it doesn't necessarily in DC. I think morning is generally better--because you get extra time with (generally younger) associates at lunch--but if you're not a morning person, do afternoon.

pandacot

Postby pandacot » Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:13 pm

Generally, most of my cb's had the option of morning interviews then lunch, or lunch then interviews. I thought it would be awkward to have lunch before getting to know some of the people, so I always take mornings. I also always take Fridays.

green

Postby green » Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:47 pm

I think if they give you an option it's not a big deal, or else it's some kind of cruel joke if they want you to take mornings. I had one that gave me the option of morning interview + lunch or afternoon interview + office tour with young associate, so I took the second

PirateCap'n

Postby PirateCap'n » Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:42 pm

Bumping a dead thread. If a firm just asks what day you are available for a callback without specifying morning or afternoon, is it acceptable to specifically request the afternoon if the attorneys are available then?

eliekedourie

Postby eliekedourie » Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:46 pm

In addition, is there anything wrong with scheduling a morning callback with one firm and an afternoon one with another. I've got many callbacks (I'm not complaining) and a pretty limited time to do them all. I want to stack them, but I also don't want to have to adhere to a rigid schedule and alienate people by needing to cut something short. Any tips? I want to fit 5-6 in only a few days if possible.

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:07 pm

eliekedourie wrote:In addition, is there anything wrong with scheduling a morning callback with one firm and an afternoon one with another. I've got many callbacks (I'm not complaining) and a pretty limited time to do them all. I want to stack them, but I also don't want to have to adhere to a rigid schedule and alienate people by needing to cut something short. Any tips? I want to fit 5-6 in only a few days if possible.

I think this is acceptable if its an out of state callback and you have multiple firms. They'll often work together in that situation. If it's in state though, you should just do one at a time in my opinion. Missing class/being behind on work really wont matter much, because getting a job is your end goal.

imchuckbass58

Postby imchuckbass58 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:09 am

Aqualibrium wrote:
eliekedourie wrote:In addition, is there anything wrong with scheduling a morning callback with one firm and an afternoon one with another. I've got many callbacks (I'm not complaining) and a pretty limited time to do them all. I want to stack them, but I also don't want to have to adhere to a rigid schedule and alienate people by needing to cut something short. Any tips? I want to fit 5-6 in only a few days if possible.

I think this is acceptable if its an out of state callback and you have multiple firms. They'll often work together in that situation. If it's in state though, you should just do one at a time in my opinion. Missing class/being behind on work really wont matter much, because getting a job is your end goal.

This sounds right - firms will understand if you're in town for a limited time. If you're local, however, I wouldn't schedule back to back, since interviews do sometimes run long (or at least you may have to cut the lunch short).

PirateCap'n

Postby PirateCap'n » Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:59 pm

pandacot wrote:Generally, most of my cb's had the option of morning interviews then lunch, or lunch then interviews. I thought it would be awkward to have lunch before getting to know some of the people, so I always take mornings. I also always take Fridays.

So, do most firms offer the choice of a morning or afternoon interview, or do they just give you a set time with little regard to which you prefer? For example, is there anything wrong with requesting one that begins at 2:00 in the afternoon?

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:04 pm

PirateCap'n wrote:
pandacot wrote:Generally, most of my cb's had the option of morning interviews then lunch, or lunch then interviews. I thought it would be awkward to have lunch before getting to know some of the people, so I always take mornings. I also always take Fridays.

So, do most firms offer the choice of a morning or afternoon interview, or do they just give you a set time with little regard to which you prefer? For example, is there anything wrong with requesting one that begins at 2:00 in the afternoon?

In my experience, they give you the option of morning or afternoon. No choice of specific time. If you say morning, they then ask if they can sign you up for lunch.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:18 pm

I must be doing this wrong. I have 8 scheduled CBs, with 2 more in the works. Only 2 lunches that I'm aware of. One local firm did mention a cocktail reception, but I've yet to hear about it from anyone in the recruiting office.

Return to “Legal Employment”