ITT: Oh my God, it's impossible to get a f**king DC SA spot

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Getting a 2011 DC SA spot

River of blood / gnashing of teeth / fiery apocalypse
89%
Relax kids, I got in everywhere I applied
11%

Total votes: 45

Anonymous User

Re: ITT: Oh my God, it's impossible to get a fucking DC SA spot

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:59 pm

Top-15% at T14, non-LR, 12 DC callbacks with pretty good firms. Decent (but not great) DC ties.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Top-15% at T14, non-LR, 12 DC callbacks with pretty good firms. Decent (but not great) DC ties.

How long after interviews did it take for you to receive callbacks? With the exception of a few firms, DC firms seem to be taking quite awhile to respond.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:45 pm

sidley, jones day, goodwin, covington, wilmer, alston, arnold, howrey, hogan, and steptoe are my DC callbacks.

IP though.. so..

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Top-15% at T14, non-LR, 12 DC callbacks with pretty good firms. Decent (but not great) DC ties.

How long after interviews did it take for you to receive callbacks? With the exception of a few firms, DC firms seem to be taking quite awhile to respond.

Very quick 24-72 hours.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Very quick 24-72 hours.

Well, that news doesn't bode well for me. Are you the IP poster from above? By the way, congrats on cleaning up at OCI.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Very quick 24-72 hours.

Well, that news doesn't bode well for me. Are you the IP poster from above? By the way, congrats on cleaning up at OCI.

Thanks a lot. I'm not IP.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:40 pm

Dinged by Cleary DC via email. Interviewed yesterday. Disappointing, but not surprising. First response for me from any DC firm.

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:58 pm

gnashing of teeth

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:09 pm

Its possible to get DC CBs- but yes, it seems pretty selective. Difference seems to be grades (even at top schools) and interview skills- no real surprise there. Now we'll have to wait and see if any come through with SA offers. CB/Offer ratios will tell all.

A&P, WH, C&B, Hogan, W&C callbacks. 5 dings to offset.

CB's have been hit and miss- can't say I loved the associates at a lot of the firms. Partners were actually cooler. Firms had very different personalities and practices. Just wish we'd hear so I could stop thinking about it all the time.

T1 (1-3) LR mostly H grades, only interviewed for DC and LA firms

Advice to 0Ls based on what I see here:

Take the best school you can get into with the best record of hiring where you want to practice. THAT'S ALL THAT MATTERS ITE.

Current reportts seem to indicate HLS mid to bottom is no sure thing-you might be better off at CLS NYU or YLS for NY practices. YLS seems to be doing best for DC. Grades seem to be really important everywhere, even YLS (but maybe less so there)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:14 pm

DC was the most brutal market last year, and this year seems to be no different (not surprising). I mass mailed to all the DC firms, and was surprised to get one screening interview there.

Return to “Legal Employment”