a thread for bad interviewers

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

a thread for bad interviewers

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:50 am

Most posters on TLS seem to do better than the average 25% CBs from screening interviews and 50% offers from CBs. Here's a thread for those of us who do significantly worse. Let's discuss what we can improve on going forward.

My stats:

I've gone on 7 CBs so far and only heard back from 1 firm (ding). I've got 4 more CBs to go on.
Top 20% from a T10. Good work experience.

What I think I can improve on:

Be more concise and to the point with my answers during interviews. Sometimes I tend to ramble. Also, sometimes I get nervous during my first couple of interviews during CBs and I think it shows in my body language (lots of arm movements, etc.).

bradley

Re: a thread for bad interviewers

Postby bradley » Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:00 pm

The tip that helped me the most is that you don't appear as nervous on the outside as you feel on the inside. Because you think that the interviewers can tell how nervous you are and analyze every twitch, you tend to get more nervous and it actually does show. It's a vicious cycle and that becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Most posters on TLS seem to do better than the average 25% CBs from screening interviews and 50% offers from CBs. Here's a thread for those of us who do significantly worse. Let's discuss what we can improve on going forward.

My stats:

I've gone on 7 CBs so far and only heard back from 1 firm (ding). I've got 4 more CBs to go on.

Be more concise and to the point with my answers during interviews. Sometimes I tend to ramble. Also, sometimes I get nervous during my first couple of interviews during CBs and I think it shows in my body language (lots of arm movements, etc.).

you have 11 CBs and you did significantly worse than a 25% CB-to-screener ratio? How many screeners did you have?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Most posters on TLS seem to do better than the average 25% CBs from screening interviews and 50% offers from CBs. Here's a thread for those of us who do significantly worse. Let's discuss what we can improve on going forward.

My stats:

you have 11 CBs and you did significantly worse than a 25% CB-to-screener ratio? How many screeners did you have?

A lot (~50). I did 3 job fairs, mass mailed, and took all of my OCI interviews. I knew I wasn't the best interviewer to begin with (read: not particularly attractive) so part of my plan was to get as many screeners as possible. This may have backfired on me because I didn't get to really prepare in-depth for each interview.

shmoo597

Postby shmoo597 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:30 pm

Backfire? I think 95% of law students would kill to have 11 CBs. Chill out dude, you're obviously interviewing fine. And even if you're not, your grades and WE will make up for a lot.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:36 pm

shmoo597 wrote:Backfire? I think 95% of law students would kill to have 11 CBs. Chill out dude, you're obviously interviewing fine. And even if you're not, your grades and WE will make up for a lot.

I would kill to have interviewing skills that didn't make me feel like I don't have a chance. Once you get past the screening phase, a lot more rides on the interviews.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:40 pm

Pretty sure I fit the bill. I transfered to a CCN from a top 40 school, where I was top 2-3 percent. Had 25 screening interviews, zero CBs. All my interviews, with one or two exceptions, seem to go fine, but then nothing. I assume it must be something to do with my interviewing skills, because I cannot think of anything else.

seespotrun

Postby seespotrun » Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
shmoo597 wrote:Backfire? I think 95% of law students would kill to have 11 CBs. Chill out dude, you're obviously interviewing fine. And even if you're not, your grades and WE will make up for a lot.

I would kill to have interviewing skills that didn't make me feel like I don't have a chance. Once you get past the screening phase, a lot more rides on the interviews.

Not necessarily. If you've made it past the screening, then that's a testament to your interviewing skills and credentials. They wouldn't call you back if you didn't have a chance. They want to hire you. Just don't give them a reason not to.

Edit to add: You are an accomplished applicant. You have a lot to be proud of. Be confident in yourself!

shmoo597

Postby shmoo597 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:51 pm

seespotrun wrote:
Not necessarily. If you've made it past the screening, then that's a testament to your interviewing skills and credentials. They wouldn't call you back if you didn't have a chance. They want to hire you. Just don't give them a reason not to.

Edit to add: You are an accomplished applicant. You have a lot to be proud of. Be confident in yourself!

This.

Blindmelon

Postby Blindmelon » Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:04 pm

11 CBS???? You're obviously doing something right. Don't worry man. I hear that CB to offer time is becoming longer and longer recently.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:06 pm

You have more than double the amount of CBs i have (granted you did more than double the amount of screeners I did) and even i feel confident that i will turn a few of my CBs into offers. Just be yourself and let the cards fall where they may.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:15 pm

Be engaged, have your own opinion, and contribute to what the interviewer says. If the interviewer says something that interests you, follow up on it - ask a followup question, tell about an experience that is similar to or relates to what the interviewer is describing. Don't be afraid to take a minute to think through your answer to questions before you start talking. This will make you look more thoughtful and also probably let you give better answers. Interviewers will be impressed if they feel you are being honest - if they describe something about the firm you have no experience with, it's okay to say: I don't have experience with that, but from what you've said, that kind of work really interests me. It reminds me of... and then go into something related that you can use to backup your statements.

Return to “Legal Employment”