Where to send thank you notes? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Where to send thank you notes?

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:26 pm

I am sending thank-you notes to the interviewers whom I have received call backs with. I was wondering how to address these to them/the firm to ensure delivery.

Thanks for the input.

Renzo

Gold

Re: Where to send thank you notes?

Post by Renzo » Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:46 pm

I wouldn't. I don't see how it can possibly do anything but hurt. The screening interviewer already is on your side--they invited you back. But, a misspelling, an awkward sentence, or even just appearing like your trying too hard could potentially change that.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:36 pm

Damn. Really? Is this the credited response/consensus these days?

radek

New

Post by radek » Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Damn. Really? Is this the credited response/consensus these days?
Some ppl say thank you notes are required, others say they can only hurt you. Just do what you think is right, man.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:48 pm

Alright well what about for after the callback? How do I address them to the person at the firm?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Gold

Post by 270910 » Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Alright well what about for after the callback? How do I address them to the person at the firm?
Bar association number only. It's impolite to use names. Make sure you use legal sized paper and not standard 8.5 x 11 - there's a reason it got the name 'legal' pad/paper, ya know.

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:24 am

disco_barred wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Alright well what about for after the callback? How do I address them to the person at the firm?
Bar association number only. It's impolite to use names. Make sure you use legal sized paper and not standard 8.5 x 11 - there's a reason it got the name 'legal' pad/paper, ya know.
Incorrect. You should hand write them using India ink and your best dainty Victorian style calligraphy. Try to use parchment, if you can acquire it. :D

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:51 am

This is what I did:

OCI:
-E-mailed really short thank yous to all of my OCI screeners (16 interviews, probably around 24 e-mails). I sent them the next day. The only time I did NOT send an e-mail was when I got a call-back before I was sending out my daily thank-yous.

Call-Backs:
-E-mailed really short thank yous to all of my interviewers. It is important to make sure these are not cookie-cutter. For one callback where I was told the committee would not be meeting again for a week, I waited 3 days (until the following Monday) to send thank you e-mails because I wanted it to be fresher for their meeting. I'm not sure whether this was a good idea or not. For my other callback, I e-mailed thank yous the next business day.
-Both of my callbacks were for relatively small offices in LA, so I think it is important to send something to those.

In General:
-Thank yous are nice, but keep them simple because the attorneys are busy and don't want to read a long e-mail or letter.
-If they respond to your thank you, unless they ask you a question, you do not have to reply to their response.

CLS2011

New

Post by CLS2011 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:00 am

If sending hard copy:

Your Interviewer, Esq.
BigLaw, Callback & Offer LLP
212 Address Road, Suite 1000
New York, New York 10017

If sending email:
To your interviewer's email address obviously.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

MBskier

New

Post by MBskier » Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:59 pm

Last edited by MBskier on Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

yellowjacket2012

Bronze

Post by yellowjacket2012 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:10 am

I would just put the lawyer's name, and then the firm address from NALP

MrKappus

Gold

Post by MrKappus » Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:29 pm

Despite the general snark in this thread, thank you letters are standard. They can be email (preferable for its expediency) or handwritten, but you should write them. A well-written and flawless note that's short and genuine will NEVER hurt your application. EVER. Not sending one most certainly can. This is common sense, people. Thank your interviewers for their time and the answers they provided. **Edit: that said, try to date and post them before you actually receive the CB. Otherwise, it looks like you're thanking them for the CB, and not their time.**

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:42 pm

MrKappus wrote:Despite the general snark in this thread, thank you letters are standard. They can be email (preferable for its expediency) or handwritten, but you should write them. A well-written and flawless note that's short and genuine will NEVER hurt your application. EVER. Not sending one most certainly can. This is common sense, people. Thank your interviewers for their time and the answers they provided. **Edit: that said, try to date and post them before you actually receive the CB. Otherwise, it looks like you're thanking them for the CB, and not their time.**
Despite your baseless assumption, thank you's for screening interviews are not standard. This is not just my opinion, but the opinion of my school's OCS as announced by email to all students. You're right, a "well-written and flawless note that's short and genuine" will not hurt--but there's always some probability of error in anything, including thank you note writing, that would make the note less than flawless, and thus put it in the "might hurt" category.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

underdawg

Silver

Post by underdawg » Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:03 pm

screener e-mails are not standard. sure do em if you want, but they aren't standard like callback thank yous (though probably not indispensable).

also random note: beware of the screener pop-in. they sometimes stop by to talk while you're waiting for your CB and if you're like me, you'll just sound stupid when she asks me if i have any MORE questions about the firm. total brainfart on my part
Last edited by underdawg on Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MrKappus

Gold

Post by MrKappus » Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:27 pm

Renzo wrote:
MrKappus wrote:Despite the general snark in this thread, thank you letters are standard. They can be email (preferable for its expediency) or handwritten, but you should write them. A well-written and flawless note that's short and genuine will NEVER hurt your application. EVER. Not sending one most certainly can. This is common sense, people. Thank your interviewers for their time and the answers they provided. **Edit: that said, try to date and post them before you actually receive the CB. Otherwise, it looks like you're thanking them for the CB, and not their time.**
Despite your baseless assumption, thank you's for screening interviews are not standard. This is not just my opinion, but the opinion of my school's OCS as announced by email to all students. You're right, a "well-written and flawless note that's short and genuine" will not hurt--but there's always some probability of error in anything, including thank you note writing, that would make the note less than flawless, and thus put it in the "might hurt" category.
I didn't assume anything, so there was no baseless assumption. In our culture, it is standard to send a thank you note (or email) after an interview. If you got the interview in the first place, then you're smart enough to write a flawless note. It's called proofreading. It's not that hard.

Edit: Perhaps your school's OCS was referring to OCI, in which case I'd agree and make an exception (i.e., notes aren't standard). I'd still send one, but that's just preference.

Edit #2: Poster below beat me to the punch. Also, "culture" = western business. HTH.
Last edited by MrKappus on Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

underdawg

Silver

Post by underdawg » Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:28 pm

wtf? culture? it's not standard to send thank you e-mails to OCI screening interviews
Last edited by underdawg on Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:22 pm

underdawg wrote:wtf? culture? it's not standard to send thank you e-mails to OCI screening interviews
+1. You're just plain wrong, MrKappus. The world won't end if you don't thank your screener, but it is far from standard protocol to do so.

Re: CBs it's a much stormier question. I posted anonymously to share this note from career services at my school (T14):
Career services dean and former big firm partner at a T14 wrote:Thank you notes: Many of you have asked about thank you notes. Thank yous after callbacks are a nice touch, but you should only do them if you can be sure that they will be absolutely perfect. Thus, if you don't have the time or focus to devote to them, skip them. Many recruiters and hiring partners think they are a bad idea because of the high rate of mistakes. If you do them, the rule is to send to everyone that you touch in the process. Each should be different. Handwritten or electronic are both fine.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”