CB Ratios

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273166
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

CB Ratios

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:41 pm

Anyone know the odds of getting an offer after a CB from Goodwin Procter, Fitzpatrick Cella, Frommer Lawrence, and Paul Hastings?

User avatar
rayiner
Posts: 6184
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:43 am

Re: CB Ratios

Postby rayiner » Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone know the odds of getting an offer after a CB from Goodwin Procter, Fitzpatrick Cella, Frommer Lawrence, and Paul Hastings?


> 0.0

270910
Posts: 2437
Joined: Thu May 21, 2009 9:51 pm

Re: CB Ratios

Postby 270910 » Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:43 pm

Depends on when you do the CB, your grades, the school you come from, the firm's relationship with your school, how big they're planning to make their class this year, your personality, the location/office of the firm, etc.

Safe to say probably no less than 30% and no greater than 100%?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273166
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: CB Ratios

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:46 pm

disco_barred wrote:Depends on when you do the CB, your grades, the school you come from, the firm's relationship with your school, how big they're planning to make their class this year, your personality, the location/office of the firm, etc.

Safe to say probably no less than 30% and no greater than 100%?

New York

270910
Posts: 2437
Joined: Thu May 21, 2009 9:51 pm

Re: CB Ratios

Postby 270910 » Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
disco_barred wrote:Depends on when you do the CB, your grades, the school you come from, the firm's relationship with your school, how big they're planning to make their class this year, your personality, the location/office of the firm, etc.

Safe to say probably no less than 30% and no greater than 100%?

New York


Historic (i.e. better times) data from a T6:

Goodwin: A bit over 50%
Fitzpatrick: No data
Frommer: 0%
PH: ~60-70%

Anonymous User
Posts: 273166
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: CB Ratios

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:56 pm

disco_barred wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
disco_barred wrote:Depends on when you do the CB, your grades, the school you come from, the firm's relationship with your school, how big they're planning to make their class this year, your personality, the location/office of the firm, etc.

Safe to say probably no less than 30% and no greater than 100%?

New York


Historic (i.e. better times) data from a T6:

Goodwin: A bit over 50%
Fitzpatrick: No data
Frommer: 0%
PH: ~60-70%


That means that 70% of those called back got an offer as a summer associate? wow...

Anonymous User
Posts: 273166
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: CB Ratios

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:29 pm

Data from last year from CLS:

Fitzpatrick: 40%
Goodwin: ~66%
Frommer: No data
Paul Hastings: ~50%

Anonymous User
Posts: 273166
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: CB Ratios

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:40 am

Anonymous User wrote:Data from last year from CLS:

Fitzpatrick: 40%
Goodwin: ~66%
Frommer: No data
Paul Hastings: ~50%

But from a T2 school, which I am at, the numbers will be much lower?

User avatar
kurla88
Posts: 370
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:27 am

Re: CB Ratios

Postby kurla88 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:55 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Data from last year from CLS:

Fitzpatrick: 40%
Goodwin: ~66%
Frommer: No data
Paul Hastings: ~50%

But from a T2 school, which I am at, the numbers will be much lower?


Not necessarily. The fact that you got a callback from a T2 school means they probably like you a lot already. Honestly, does it matter? You have to go and rock it out either way.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273166
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: CB Ratios

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Data from last year from CLS:

Fitzpatrick: 40%
Goodwin: ~66%
Frommer: No data
Paul Hastings: ~50%


Do you have any info on the New York offices of these firms?

Jones Day
Gibson Dunn
OMM
Ropes and Gray
Dechert

Anonymous User
Posts: 273166
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: CB Ratios

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Do you have any info on the New York offices of these firms?

Jones Day
Gibson Dunn
OMM
Ropes and Gray
Dechert


Jones Day: 30%
Gibson Dunn: ~67%
OMM: ~33%
Ropes: ~40%
Dechert: ~33%

Anonymous User
Posts: 273166
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: CB Ratios

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Do you have any info on the New York offices of these firms?

Jones Day
Gibson Dunn
OMM
Ropes and Gray
Dechert


Jones Day: 30%
Gibson Dunn: ~67%
OMM: ~33%
Ropes: ~40%
Dechert: ~33%

Where do people get these numbers?

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: CB Ratios

Postby vanwinkle » Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Data from last year from CLS:

Fitzpatrick: 40%
Goodwin: ~66%
Frommer: No data
Paul Hastings: ~50%

But from a T2 school, which I am at, the numbers will be much lower?

Statistics only matter as a general predictor; they don't guarantee or even assure success or failure. What if the offer rate was only 1%, but it turned out you had something in common with the 1% from your school that got one every year?

Go out and rock it, and don't sweat it. It doesn't matter what the odds are, it matters how you do. You're being given a chance to sell yourself, so sell yourself instead of sweating statistics.

Or to put it another way:

Image

Anonymous User
Posts: 273166
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: CB Ratios

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Where do people get these numbers?


CLS gives us a sheet with EIP numbers broken out by firm - number of bids, screeners, callbacks extended, callbacks accepted, offers, and acceptances.

User avatar
chup
Posts: 23645
Joined: Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:48 pm

Re: CB Ratios

Postby chup » Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:04 pm

Be sure to print off all the OCS data you can find for firms whose CB:offer ratio is better than 50%. Then, when you are interviewing with partners for the callback, just drop the statistics on their desk, say "I'm willing to bet on these odds," and walk away.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273166
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: CB Ratios

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Do you have any info on the New York offices of these firms?

Jones Day
Gibson Dunn
OMM
Ropes and Gray
Dechert


Jones Day: 30%
Gibson Dunn: ~67%
OMM: ~33%
Ropes: ~40%
Dechert: ~33%



Thanks a lot! Hopefully I can land an offer from one of them!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273166
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: CB Ratios

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Do you have any info on the New York offices of these firms?

Jones Day
Gibson Dunn
OMM
Ropes and Gray
Dechert


Jones Day: 30%
Gibson Dunn: ~67%
OMM: ~33%
Ropes: ~40%
Dechert: ~33%


What about the New York offices of the following?
Chadbourne Parke
Linklaters

User avatar
dood
Posts: 1639
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:59 am

Re: CB Ratios

Postby dood » Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:43 pm

...
Last edited by dood on Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shmoo597
Posts: 301
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:31 pm

Re: CB Ratios

Postby shmoo597 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:22 pm

Yea, if someone could post the document, that'd be awesome.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273166
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: CB Ratios

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:35 pm

dood wrote:y not just make the whole doc public?

thanks!


+1

or, alternatively,

willkie farr
milbank
allen&overy
paul weiss
sheppard mullin

all nyc offices, thanks!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273166
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: CB Ratios

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:09 pm

OCS gave it to us in hard-copy and i don't even know where I might find a scanner.

chadbourne - 2/7(accepted, 12 CB offered)
linklaters - 4/8
willkie farr - 11/17
milbank - 6/20
allen&overy - 10/16
paul weiss - 23/41
sheppard mullin - 1/12

Anonymous User
Posts: 273166
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: CB Ratios

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:11 pm

dood wrote:y not just make the whole doc public?

thanks!
y not just ask your school for this information?

edit: since bidding is over everywhere, this information is totally irrelevant and will not help in any decision-making.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273166
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: CB Ratios

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:11 pm

1/12 for Sheppard? OUCH.

How about Orrick or Sidley (NYC)?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273166
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: CB Ratios

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:13 pm

Any info on WilmerHale?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273166
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: CB Ratios

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:15 pm

Do you mind checking the following:

Simpson Thacher
Morrison Foerster
Mayer Brown
Irell




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.