1L Summer Employment Options with early deadlines

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
rowlf

1L Summer Employment Options with early deadlines

Postby rowlf » Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:26 pm

I'd like to know which specific positions (or which types of positions) have an early (December/January) deadline for 1L applicants. I've got to know about the positions to apply to them. I want to avoid applying early if possible, but I do want to step up and apply for positions that really are a match. I'd especially like to hear from people who've done said jobs so I could ask questions if I'm interested in applying. Thanks in advance for your help!

Re: 1L Summer Employment Options with early deadlines

Postby 270910 » Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:36 pm

Most places 1Ls get hired at don't have "deadlines." You just send your shit to every judge and firm and small public interest place on the planet ever on or about December 1st.

There are a few with deadlines. Mostly fed gov stuff. Any of that which sounds good to you, look into.

In general, 1L hiring is an annoying, drawn out, crapshoot kind of process. Be prepared to apply early and often, and have an offer from a place you aren't ideally interested in long before you hear from places you actually want to work at.

wiseowl

Postby wiseowl » Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:53 pm

a lot of judges fill up by the end of January.

rowlf

Postby rowlf » Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:57 am

Scuse the extreme noobness but what do 1Ls do for judges? How do you know who you can apply to?

wiseowl

Postby wiseowl » Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:47 am

rowlf wrote:Scuse the extreme noobness but what do 1Ls do for judges? How do you know who you can apply to?

I simply sent resumes and cover letters to every judge I was interested in, whether I knew they were taking interns or not. Worst case scenario, they throw your resume in the trash.

Some on this board have suggested phoning the chambers of every judge to see if they are taking anyone, but this seemed like a huge waste of time to me compared to the 44c investment in trying anyway. Anecdote: the judge I eventually worked for said she picked me because of my resume (something on it reminded her of a past clerk, so she took a chance on me). She would not have otherwise, and said that if I had called chambers they would probably have said they were not interested.

I did know ahead of time that (obviously) the US Supreme Court does not take interns, and in general, it appears the Federal Circuit does not either. I got bites from many of my other unsolicited resumes to various District and Circuit judges, so pick a market you want to work in, and send 'em off in early December, or at latest Christmas break.

****One caveat, of which you may or may not be aware. This was also a large point of controversy on this board last year. The general etiquette is that if a judge offers you a position, you must accept. It would be OK to ask for some time, but at the end of that time the answer needs to be yes unless you have already accepted a law firm offer that you got prior to the judge's offer or if you have multiple judge offers open. It is (generally, apparently not to everyone on this board) a pretty big faux pas to reject a judge that has made you an offer outside of the two above situations.

This created some stress for me last spring because I received an offer from a judge honestly a bit before I was ready to accept. In the end, I took it and I had a fantastic summer. I highly recommend judicial internships.

Final note: ask your school's career office for your password to The Leadership Library (http://ldi.bvdep.com/version-717/login.asp). This is like the white pages for federal judges. Be on the lookout for alums of your school.

rowlf

Postby rowlf » Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:55 am

wiseowl wrote:
rowlf wrote:Scuse the extreme noobness but what do 1Ls do for judges? How do you know who you can apply to?

I simply sent resumes and cover letters to every judge I was interested in, whether I knew they were taking interns or not. Worst case scenario, they throw your resume in the trash.

Some on this board have suggested phoning the chambers of every judge to see if they are taking anyone, but this seemed like a huge waste of time to me compared to the 44c investment in trying anyway. Anecdote: the judge I eventually worked for said she picked me because of my resume (something on it reminded her of a past clerk, so she took a chance on me). She would not have otherwise, and said that if I had called chambers they would probably have said they were not interested.

I did know ahead of time that (obviously) the US Supreme Court does not take interns, and in general, it appears the Federal Circuit does not either. I got bites from many of my other unsolicited resumes to various District and Circuit judges, so pick a market you want to work in, and send 'em off in early December, or at latest Christmas break.

****One caveat, of which you may or may not be aware. This was also a large point of controversy on this board last year. The general etiquette is that if a judge offers you a position, you must accept. It would be OK to ask for some time, but at the end of that time the answer needs to be yes unless you have already accepted a law firm offer that you got prior to the judge's offer or if you have multiple judge offers open. It is (generally, apparently not to everyone on this board) a pretty big faux pas to reject a judge that has made you an offer outside of the two above situations.

This created some stress for me last spring because I received an offer from a judge honestly a bit before I was ready to accept. In the end, I took it and I had a fantastic summer. I highly recommend judicial internships.

Final note: ask your school's career office for your password to The Leadership Library (http://ldi.bvdep.com/version-717/login.asp). This is like the white pages for federal judges. Be on the lookout for alums of your school.

Wow, this is really helpful. Thanks!

Postby 20160810 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:05 pm

Step 1: Focus entirely on your grades fall semester.

Postby 270910 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:09 pm

SBL wrote:Step 1: Focus entirely on your grades fall semester.

I believe OP is at Yale, which means OP already has his or her fall grades ("credit").

Return to “Legal Employment”