Is the optional lunch really optional? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
anli

New

Is the optional lunch really optional?

Post by anli » Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:02 pm

I scheduled one of my top firms for the morning, but I have a class scheduled in the afternoon that I cannot miss (professor said so). The recruiter emphasized that the lunch was optional. The alternative would be to schedule for a week later, but I figured the earlier the better. Any thoughts? Should I reschedule?
Last edited by anli on Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

romothesavior

Diamond

Re: Is the optional lunch really optional?

Post by romothesavior » Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:06 pm

anli wrote:I scheduled one of my top firms for the morning, but I have a class scheduled in the afternoon that I cannot miss (professor said so). The recruiter emphasized that the lunch was optional, that afternoon appointments did not include dinner, and that the firm did not want me to miss class. The alternative would be to schedule for a week later, but I figured the earlier the better. Any thoughts? Should I reschedule?
Just out of curiosity, is it common for profs to not support their students as they look to land a job? Sounds like a crappy situation to be in.

chup

Diamond

Post by chup » Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:07 pm

romothesavior wrote:
anli wrote:I scheduled one of my top firms for the morning, but I have a class scheduled in the afternoon that I cannot miss (professor said so). The recruiter emphasized that the lunch was optional, that afternoon appointments did not include dinner, and that the firm did not want me to miss class. The alternative would be to schedule for a week later, but I figured the earlier the better. Any thoughts? Should I reschedule?
Just out of curiosity, is it common for profs to not support their students as they look to land a job? Sounds like a crappy situation to be in.
It's common for there to be rules about not missing class, yes.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:10 pm

aschup wrote: It's common for there to be rules about not missing class, yes.
I understand that, but there are more important things than not missing class. The whole point of going to law school is to become a lawyer. Can't do that if you're unemployed.

Anyways, I will leave this thread alone since I don't have an answer. Sorry to semi-derail, just seemed like an odd situation to me.

hiromoto45

Silver

Post by hiromoto45 » Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:13 pm

Not an optional lunch IMO. Go to the lunch. Career or Class? Not much of a decision.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

sbalive

Bronze

Post by sbalive » Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:20 pm

Unfortunately too many law professors are in denial of the fact that they are teaching at was is essentially a vocational school. It's along the same lines as the opinion that grades don't matter and students worry too much about exams. You'd think it would be better among young professors, but I actually find it to almost be worse, since the new generation is often even more divorced from any kind of practice experience.

Anyway, rant aside, do the lunch. If the prof just discourages absences, you can ask for an exception this time (don't say it's because of the lunch) if you stress that you're trying to avoid missing other classes and other schedule constraints, and this is the only time you will miss this particular class. If the prof has explicitly said there is no exception to missing for a callback, use being sick as an excuse, just like you will in the future when skipping work to interview for other jobs 8)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:38 pm

sbalive wrote:Unfortunately too many law professors are in denial of the fact that they are teaching at was is essentially a vocational school. It's along the same lines as the opinion that grades don't matter and students worry too much about exams. You'd think it would be better among young professors, but I actually find it to almost be worse, since the new generation is often even more divorced from any kind of practice experience.

Anyway, rant aside, do the lunch. If the prof just discourages absences, you can ask for an exception this time (don't say it's because of the lunch) if you stress that you're trying to avoid missing other classes and other schedule constraints, and this is the only time you will miss this particular class. If the prof has explicitly said there is no exception to missing for a callback, use being sick as an excuse, just like you will in the future when skipping work to interview for other jobs 8)
+1

I have a class with a mandatory attendance policy. Best part - it's a part-time visiting adjunct. :roll:

Sorry, but I've got callbacks scheduled. If I have to drop the class, so be it. I'm closer to 30 years old than I am to 20 - and most importantly, I'm not 6. For what I'm paying, I'll attend class as I deem necessary. I'm here to get a job so that I can pay off the loans that pay these prof's salaries.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:55 pm

I agree with skipping the class. Law profs are some of the most delusional out-of-touch people on the planet. They can't imagine someone missing their dear class for a job interview without it DRASTICALLY affecting their understanding of the course.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 29, 2010 1:23 pm

Not optional and interviewing earlier is better than later. What an ass. (the prof, not you)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:15 pm

Have to chime in here. Prof sounds like a moron. Def go to the lunch. No question about it.

spanktheduck

Bronze

Post by spanktheduck » Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:49 pm

Go to the lunch. I would also talk to CS and the registrar if you feel the professor is going to make a big deal about this.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:09 pm

I'm going to go ahead and disagree with people here. They callbacks I've gotten have allowed us to schedule in the afternoon in which case lunch isn't even an option. I can't imagine lunch being a big deal (esp. if the recruiter emphasized how optional it is) if afternoon interviewees don't have it by default. I mean, it's sh*tty that your professor is making you go to class, but I also don't think that missing lunch is going to hurt your chances.

I would say that lunch might be a good opportunity to learn more about the firm and in that sense it might be personally beneficial to you to go. But this is outside of the sphere or whether or not going will hurt/help your chances.

stratocophic

Gold

Post by stratocophic » Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:20 pm

ITT:

--ImageRemoved--

OP's the only one who should have posted anonymously here.
Last edited by stratocophic on Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

hiromoto45

Silver

Post by hiromoto45 » Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm going to go ahead and disagree with people here. They callbacks I've gotten have allowed us to schedule in the afternoon in which case lunch isn't even an option. I can't imagine lunch being a big deal (esp. if the recruiter emphasized how optional it is) if afternoon interviewees don't have it by default. I mean, it's sh*tty that your professor is making you go to class, but I also don't think that missing lunch is going to hurt your chances.

I would say that lunch might be a good opportunity to learn more about the firm and in that sense it might be personally beneficial to you to go. But this is outside of the sphere or whether or not going will hurt/help your chances.

Sounds like this guy is going to the lunch and doesn't want you there :lol:

Sobriquet

New

Post by Sobriquet » Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:26 pm

hiromoto45 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm going to go ahead and disagree with people here. They callbacks I've gotten have allowed us to schedule in the afternoon in which case lunch isn't even an option. I can't imagine lunch being a big deal (esp. if the recruiter emphasized how optional it is) if afternoon interviewees don't have it by default. I mean, it's sh*tty that your professor is making you go to class, but I also don't think that missing lunch is going to hurt your chances.

Sounds like this guy is going to the lunch and doesn't want you there :lol:
Oops ok I'll be non-anon about it. But seriously, has no one scheduled an afternoon callback where lunch isn't even an option????

shmoo597

Bronze

Post by shmoo597 » Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:35 pm

If you want a job, you should do everything in your power to get it, which includes schmoozing with the lawyers who work there over lunch. This should be a non brainer, when the downside is essentially nothing. If your prof doesnt understand, say you're sick.

In the scheme of things, attending lunch MIGHT make the difference between you and your dream job. Missing a single class will have literally no effect on anything.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:51 pm

shmoo597 wrote:If you want a job, you should do everything in your power to get it, which includes schmoozing with the lawyers who work there over lunch. This should be a non brainer, when the downside is essentially nothing. If your prof doesnt understand, say you're sick.

In the scheme of things, attending lunch MIGHT make the difference between you and your dream job. Missing a single class will have literally no effect on anything.
Especially since you're no longer a 1L. Your main focus right now should be on getting a job, not on grades. If this prof gives you a hard time about it, make an argument like the one we're making here: one meaningless class early in the semester versus a shot at a great job. I agree with everyone else who says it is a no-brainer.

I get the impression that a lot of law profs have their heads stuck up their own rears. I like the ones I've met so far at my school, but stories like these make me wonder what I should expect. My undergrad profs would bend over backwards for me for something like this. I really can't believe a law prof would not be doing all that they can to help their students succeed, especially ITE. All he'd have to do is say, "Okay! Enjoy your lunch!" This really doesn't seem like a big request at all. It seems like Professor Tamanaha (my Torts prof... woot woot) was right in the article he wrote that was featured on ATL; some law profs do seem to be out of touch with the realities of the legal market.

Good luck OP, hope your job hunt goes well.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:59 pm

stratocophic wrote:ITT:

--ImageRemoved--

OP's the only one who should have posted anonymously here.
maybe because I don't want my classmates to know I have callbacks and don't want my teachers to see me dogging them?

bitching about anon is worse than abusing anon - mods have said this repeatedly. go whine somewhere else.

Gold

Post by 270910 » Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:59 pm

shmoo597 wrote:If you want a job, you should do everything in your power to get it, which includes schmoozing with the lawyers who work there over lunch. This should be a non brainer, when the downside is essentially nothing. If your prof doesnt understand, say you're sick.

+1.

And yes, you usually have a choice between morning + lunch and afternoon w/o a meal. And sometimes only afternoon slots are open, so you can't even get a meal if you wanted one. But all else being equal, it does not reflect well on you to turn down a lunch invitation. The purpose of law school is to get a job, ignore your professors' attempts to power trip.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”