1L summer ties

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
lsatClay

1L summer ties

Postby lsatClay » Sat Aug 28, 2010 6:28 pm

To those of you with more experience on the matter...
Does where you work your 1L summer matter? I attend law school in the mid-west and am thinking about applying for some positions in my hometown, which is on one of the coasts. The benefit would be I could crash with my brother and save some money (1L paid SAs are rare), and I am also considering trying to move back to the area after I graduate (which I do think, with hard work, is not impossible). I'm not set on it in any manner, but it is something I would be interested in.
I am concerned, however, that this would affect my 2L and post-graduate job opportunities. I have heard that ties are very important to obtaining employment, and wouldn't want employers to think that I'm someone who is itching to relocate.
Please pardon my ignorance on the matter, but as a 0L I really do not know much about legal employment. Any advice would be greatly helpful. I would appreciate it if any replies could keep the sarcasm to the minimum.

sperry

Re: 1L summer ties

Postby sperry » Sat Aug 28, 2010 6:52 pm

The location does matter. It's a lot tougher to convince a firm that you want to work in their market when you summered somewhere else.

Return to “Legal Employment”