Employment possibilites after 40

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Employment possibilites after 40

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:08 pm

Currently, I am a 35 y/o and have spent the last 7 years in the military. I had originally intended on doing 3 years, but there were certain goals I have wanted to achieve before I left. My current goal (assignment in Germany) has me staying in the military for 3 years, making me eligible for law school at 38.

For this endeavor, my intention is to focus on part-time programs that would put me in New York, so that I may work during the day. At this rate, I will be 42 by the time I graduate.

Considering my background, military for 10 years, AA, 3.7 in both Bachelor's and Master's programs, where would I be able to find employment at this age, assuming I'm in the 50 percentile? My main goal was Biglaw, but have disregarded due to my age. My focus is mid-law, or one of the federal agencies in NYC, preferably the FTC and FAA.

Anonymous User

Re: Employment possibilites after 40

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Currently, I am a 35 y/o and have spent the last 7 years in the military. I had originally intended on doing 3 years, but there were certain goals I have wanted to achieve before I left. My current goal (assignment in Germany) has me staying in the military for 3 years, making me eligible for law school at 38.

For this endeavor, my intention is to focus on part-time programs that would put me in New York, so that I may work during the day. At this rate, I will be 42 by the time I graduate.

Considering my background, military for 10 years, AA, 3.7 in both Bachelor's and Master's programs, where would I be able to find employment at this age, assuming I'm in the 50 percentile? My main goal was Biglaw, but have disregarded due to my age. My focus is mid-law, or one of the federal agencies in NYC, preferably the FTC and FAA.

More financial aid is usually available for full time programs. Further, you may be able to get into a school with better career options if you go full time.

Don't discount BigLaw unless you don't want it. I'm about your age and had a great deal of success in applying to BigLaw.

jayn3

Postby jayn3 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:37 pm

Maturity + military + directed career goals will all help you in biglaw interviews.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:54 pm

I know someone who had a full 20-year military career and then enrolled in a top law school (T5 school) after he retired. He did big law (T3 firm), left for a small boutique after a few years, and is now a partner there. He enlisted in the army at 18, so he probably started law school in his late 30's. Looks like it worked out very well for him.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:13 pm

With your stats, I don't think you should limit yourself to part-time. Heck, with the right LSAT score you easily have a shot at most if not all of the T14.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:15 pm

jayn3 wrote:Maturity + military + directed career goals will all help you in biglaw interviews.

Truth. I picked up a couple of extra VERY promising interviews during OCI as a result of my resume. One with a V20; another V50-ish. (Granted: NOT NYC offices; but for the V20, it's their home office). Also got some pretty quick callbacks and only had one interviewer ask a somewhat rude-ish question that was phrased very carefully so as not expose them to liability for age descrimination, but you could tell that he/she was skeptical.

I was older than your projected graduation age when I walked in as a 1L, so you'll be even younger than I at interview time.

Do you need to be thinking about this? Absolutely. Do you need to worry about it? No. Just diversify where you apply-- both up and down the Vault and across markets-- and get as many interviews as you can handle. Some firms will care, some will not. But you really won't be able to know which is which when you bid. The more interviews you can snag, the more likely you'll fine at least one who likes the experience without concern about the age. Also, be sure you can talk about why you're wanting to do this at this point in your life enthusiastically.

Edit: Forgot to add that I would recommend doing full time. The Post 9/11 GI Bill should be able to help you manage (assuming you qualify, of course)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:54 pm

Also older than you when I started, now a 3L. Will graduate with a very good mid law job and salary.

I found most employers looked at my age and work experience as a plus. My previous career was a big plus, for unique reasons, but I think yours will be viewed similarly.

d34d9823

Postby d34d9823 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:08 pm

Average life expectancy at a firm for associates is like 3-5 years anyway. It's not like they're missing out on good working years because you're older.

Return to “Legal Employment”