does a preselect meaning u look good on paper?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273265
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

does a preselect meaning u look good on paper?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:12 pm

that's why my career office told me.

but I am skeptical about that opinion, some candidate just had none or very little chance for a CB, unless u forgot to put ur nobel prize on the resume. and the firm just wanted to meet as many people as possible, b/c they were already here.

User avatar
OperaSoprano
Posts: 4410
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:54 am

Re: does a preselect meaning u look good on paper?

Postby OperaSoprano » Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:24 pm

Firms at my school have to meet with at least 21 people per interviewer per day, and they can choose 60% of their interview schedule. They are given a list of the students who bid on them, and from that list, they select the most appealing candidates. A preselect here therefore means you were among the most appealing people (on paper, anyway) who bid on that firm, but it doesn't preclude the possibility that there were really only 2 or 3 people the firm wanted to see, who stood a good chance of getting a callback. There are firms who routinely make callbacks to people they don't preselect, so it's difficult to generalize here, and a good interview can still make things happen if your grades are in the ballpark.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273265
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: does a preselect meaning u look good on paper?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:19 pm

I think the CB ratio is still higher among preselected candidates, if all else are equal, but I am not so sure of how much higher.

User avatar
OperaSoprano
Posts: 4410
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:54 am

Re: does a preselect meaning u look good on paper?

Postby OperaSoprano » Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I think the CB ratio is still higher among preselected candidates, if all else are equal, but I am not so sure of how much higher.


This is true at our school, but the "how much higher" varies quite a bit.

Aqualibrium
Posts: 2011
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:57 am

Re: does a preselect meaning u look good on paper?

Postby Aqualibrium » Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:23 pm

I think op doesn't have to worry about ever getting a job let alone looking good on paper with those writing skills.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273265
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: does a preselect meaning u look good on paper?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:28 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:I think op doesn't have to worry about ever getting a job let alone making a good impression with those writing skills.


This is hilarious. :lol:

User avatar
dood
Posts: 1639
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:59 am

Re: does a preselect meaning u look good on paper?

Postby dood » Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:55 pm

...
Last edited by dood on Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
20160810
Posts: 19648
Joined: Fri May 02, 2008 1:18 pm

Re: does a preselect meaning u look good on paper?

Postby 20160810 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:00 pm

No, but fluent English tends to make one look good on paper.

Black-Blue
Posts: 279
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:46 pm

Re: does a preselect meaning u look good on paper?

Postby Black-Blue » Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:10 pm

OperaSoprano wrote:Firms at my school have to meet with at least 21 people per interviewer per day, and they can choose 60% of their interview schedule. They are given a list of the students who bid on them, and from that list, they select the most appealing candidates. A preselect here therefore means you were among the most appealing people (on paper, anyway) who bid on that firm, but it doesn't preclude the possibility that there were really only 2 or 3 people the firm wanted to see, who stood a good chance of getting a callback. There are firms who routinely make callbacks to people they don't preselect, so it's difficult to generalize here, and a good interview can still make things happen if your grades are in the ballpark.

For big firms, this is more or less true. Even if they really only want to interview 3 ppl, they'll still fill up the slots for publicity sake.

However, small firms at my T1 frequently interview fewer candidates than the maximum. I've seen as low as 2 screening interviews.

User avatar
OperaSoprano
Posts: 4410
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:54 am

Re: does a preselect meaning u look good on paper?

Postby OperaSoprano » Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:13 pm

Black-Blue wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote:Firms at my school have to meet with at least 21 people per interviewer per day, and they can choose 60% of their interview schedule. They are given a list of the students who bid on them, and from that list, they select the most appealing candidates. A preselect here therefore means you were among the most appealing people (on paper, anyway) who bid on that firm, but it doesn't preclude the possibility that there were really only 2 or 3 people the firm wanted to see, who stood a good chance of getting a callback. There are firms who routinely make callbacks to people they don't preselect, so it's difficult to generalize here, and a good interview can still make things happen if your grades are in the ballpark.

For big firms, this is more or less true. Even if they really only want to interview 3 ppl, they'll still fill up the slots for publicity sake.

However, small firms at my T1 frequently interview fewer candidates than the maximum. I've seen as low as 2 screening interviews.


Every school is different, but my school requires them to fill their daily schedule, and will let students opt in if there are open slots. I'm not certain if this is a good thing or not, as it potentially wastes everyone's time, but there are some firms that do routinely make offers to people they didn't preselect, so it absolutely depends on the firm.

User avatar
RVP11
Posts: 2774
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:32 pm

Re: does a preselect meaning u look good on paper?

Postby RVP11 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:39 pm

I had a preselect interview that was a total waste of time (the firm basically only hires people with at least .1 GPA above me) and I've snagged two callbacks from alternate interviews.

This is not something you should waste time worrying about.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.