no offer :( ---> offer arrived! Congrats!

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273183
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

no offer :( ---> offer arrived! Congrats!

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:15 pm

do post summer no offers typically come via phone call? or do they do it via snail mail? i know for a fact people at my firm got calls yesterday getting offers. seems kind of dick to just send me a snail mail rejection...

received very positive feedback at exit interviews and everyone else from my office got an offer. would it be inappropriate to call and ask specifically why i was no-offered just for my own future reference?

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: no offer :(

Postby romothesavior » Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:do post summer no offers typically come via phone call? or do they do it via snail mail? i know for a fact people at my firm got calls yesterday getting offers. seems kind of dick to just send me a snail mail rejection...

received very positive feedback at exit interviews and everyone else from my office got an offer. would it be inappropriate to call and ask specifically why i was no-offered just for my own future reference?


Are you sure you were no-offered? If not, wait until you receive confirmation of that. If so, I see no reason why you couldn't ask, as long as you do it in a polite and sincere way. Someone can feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I've always felt that employees should have the opportunity to ask why they didn't get a job, promotion, why they got fired, etc. I think it is all about being tactful.

User avatar
nealric
Posts: 2391
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:53 am

Re: no offer :(

Postby nealric » Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:37 pm

The vast majority of firms would at least tell you by phone. It may be that the partner making the calls had not gotten to everyone yet.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273183
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: no offer :(

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:44 pm

eh pretty sure its a no offer. heard committee met on wed... calls went out late wed/early thurs. midway through friday now and no word at all.

arg... want to call them right and know for sure one way or another.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273183
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: no offer :(

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:eh pretty sure its a no offer. heard committee met on wed... calls went out late wed/early thurs. midway through friday now and no word at all.

arg... want to call them right and know for sure one way or another.


Wow, OP - sorry to hear this. Can you give any details on the firm, since you're anonymous, or on you? Just hang in there. If you end up truly being no-offered, see if you can get a "cold offer" that you can use at 3L OCI. Just hold your head high.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273183
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: no offer :(

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:50 pm

i'm just more shocked than anything as in my exit interview and in talking with the chair of my group they definitely hinted that i should expect an offer. its def. not an economy thing as my group was extremely busy and everyone else in my office got offers. i really wish they'd just stop keeping me in the cold and let me know definitively. its pretty shitty still being on the SA listserv where everyone else is celebrating...

shmoo597
Posts: 301
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:31 pm

Re: no offer :(

Postby shmoo597 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:11 pm

even though I don't yet have an offer for my 2l summer in hand, one of my biggest fears is getting no-offered at the end of that 2l summer....what the hell are you supposed to do then? I'm sorry OP....

Anonymous User
Posts: 273183
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: no offer :(

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:20 pm

Stay positive dude, you haven't been no-offered until you actually get a call or letter informing you so.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273183
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: no offer :(

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:i'm just more shocked than anything as in my exit interview and in talking with the chair of my group they definitely hinted that i should expect an offer. its def. not an economy thing as my group was extremely busy and everyone else in my office got offers. i really wish they'd just stop keeping me in the cold and let me know definitively. its pretty shitty still being on the SA listserv where everyone else is celebrating...


That's pretty freaking terrible. Is it just people hitting "reply all" and talking about how great they feel?? Way to be considerate of others on the list. :(

Can you say which firm?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273183
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: no offer :(

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:57 pm

dont want to say. we were told we'd be all finding out on the same day either way. im just pissed now that its been 2 days since people initially heard and still no word for me.

the least they could fucking do really is to just give me a call and let me know instead of leaving me in this limbo-hell. any thoughts on calling at the end of the day today and saying "so i know you mentioned we'd all be hearing on the same day and i know offers have already gone out to everyone else..." etc. i really can't take this for the whole weekend.

User avatar
SteelReserve
Posts: 299
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:46 pm

Re: no offer :(

Postby SteelReserve » Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:06 pm

Just wanted to say best of luck OP and I hope things will turn out well in the long-run, and keep that view. Also, you are not alone, many of the few people at my school who had traditional SAs have not been offered jobs either.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273183
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: no offer :(

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:dont want to say. we were told we'd be all finding out on the same day either way. im just pissed now that its been 2 days since people initially heard and still no word for me.

the least they could fucking do really is to just give me a call and let me know instead of leaving me in this limbo-hell. any thoughts on calling at the end of the day today and saying "so i know you mentioned we'd all be hearing on the same day and i know offers have already gone out to everyone else..." etc. i really can't take this for the whole weekend.


I feel for you - seriously. Idk if it's a good idea to call them, but I can also see this destroying your whole weekend and hindering your job search. If you're truly no-offered, then you need to shake it off and get right back into the recruiting game before it's too late in the season. I say give them a call. Not sure if that's good advice, though - can anyone else weigh in???

Anonymous User
Posts: 273183
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: no offer :(

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:dont want to say. we were told we'd be all finding out on the same day either way. im just pissed now that its been 2 days since people initially heard and still no word for me.

the least they could fucking do really is to just give me a call and let me know instead of leaving me in this limbo-hell. any thoughts on calling at the end of the day today and saying "so i know you mentioned we'd all be hearing on the same day and i know offers have already gone out to everyone else..." etc. i really can't take this for the whole weekend.

I feel for you - seriously. Idk if it's a good idea to call them, but I can also see this destroying your whole weekend and hindering your job search. If you're truly no-offered, then you need to shake it off and get right back into the recruiting game before it's too late in the season. I say give them a call. Not sure if that's good advice, though - can anyone else weigh in???

I would call. A call obviously isn't going to change whatever decision the firm reached, so there's no risk. Better for you to find out now than on Monday. Good luck!

LurkerNoMore
Posts: 237
Joined: Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:05 pm

Re: no offer :(

Postby LurkerNoMore » Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:dont want to say. we were told we'd be all finding out on the same day either way. im just pissed now that its been 2 days since people initially heard and still no word for me.

the least they could fucking do really is to just give me a call and let me know instead of leaving me in this limbo-hell. any thoughts on calling at the end of the day today and saying "so i know you mentioned we'd all be hearing on the same day and i know offers have already gone out to everyone else..." etc. i really can't take this for the whole weekend.


Call them.

Be respectful and just say that you had understood that you would be told either way at the same time and were just calling because you hadn't heard anything.

Chances are they had multiple people doing calls and yours got lost in the shuffle.

User avatar
dresden doll
Posts: 6802
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:11 am

Re: no offer :(

Postby dresden doll » Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:20 pm

LurkerNoMore wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:dont want to say. we were told we'd be all finding out on the same day either way. im just pissed now that its been 2 days since people initially heard and still no word for me.

the least they could fucking do really is to just give me a call and let me know instead of leaving me in this limbo-hell. any thoughts on calling at the end of the day today and saying "so i know you mentioned we'd all be hearing on the same day and i know offers have already gone out to everyone else..." etc. i really can't take this for the whole weekend.


Call them.

Be respectful and just say that you had understood that you would be told either way at the same time and were just calling because you hadn't heard anything.

Chances are they had multiple people doing calls and yours got lost in the shuffle.


Credited. Just call and be polite. And good luck to you.

ClerkGuy2010
Posts: 27
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:19 pm

Re: no offer :(

Postby ClerkGuy2010 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:28 pm

Yep--call and politely ask if they've made a decision. Nothing to lose and at least some peace of mind to gain (if not a job offer).

User avatar
20160810
Posts: 19648
Joined: Fri May 02, 2008 1:18 pm

Re: no offer :(

Postby 20160810 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:33 pm

Oh man, really wondering how the phone call went/pulling for this guy.

User avatar
IzziesGal
Posts: 764
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:11 pm

Re: no offer :(

Postby IzziesGal » Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:34 pm

SBL wrote:Oh man, really wondering how the phone call went/pulling for this guy.


+1. I feel terrible for his situation. Also, it's nice to see that some of us on here actually care abt each other and aren't acting like vultures. Some of the other threads are making me question the humanity of TLSers.

005618502
Posts: 2577
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 10:56 pm

Re: no offer :(

Postby 005618502 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:46 pm

I hope you get some sort of good news from this call, please let us know what they said. I would not check that listserv anymore, that could only make it worse for now.

User avatar
danidancer
Posts: 841
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:46 pm

Re: no offer :(

Postby danidancer » Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:07 am

jt1341 wrote:I hope you get some sort of good news from this call, please let us know what they said. I would not check that listserv anymore, that could only make it worse for now.


+1. Fingers crossed for you, OP!

User avatar
AngryAvocado
Posts: 776
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:22 pm

Re: no offer :(

Postby AngryAvocado » Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:55 am

Guess we won't hear from him today. Well, hopefully he's too busy drinking and celebrating after hearing good news.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273183
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: no offer :(

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:21 am

just got a call today with good news! on a saturday too - just goes to show that you never know... still not sure what the hold up was though.

thank you everyone for your support - i really do appreciate it a lot.

User avatar
Cavalier
Posts: 1994
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:13 pm

Re: no offer :(

Postby Cavalier » Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:28 am

Anonymous User wrote:just got a call today with good news! on a saturday too - just goes to show that you never know... still not sure what the hold up was though.

thank you everyone for your support - i really do appreciate it a lot.

Congrats! Sucks that you had to go through this, but at least it ended well!

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: no offer :(

Postby romothesavior » Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:29 am

Anonymous User wrote:just got a call today with good news! on a saturday too - just goes to show that you never know... still not sure what the hold up was though.

thank you everyone for your support - i really do appreciate it a lot.


CONGRATS!!! I had a feeling there was just some sort of mistake with your offer. That is fantastic news! Go live it up and celebrate this accomplishment!

User avatar
Rand M.
Posts: 1033
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:24 am

Re: no offer :(

Postby Rand M. » Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:49 am

romothesavior wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:just got a call today with good news! on a saturday too - just goes to show that you never know... still not sure what the hold up was though.

thank you everyone for your support - i really do appreciate it a lot.


CONGRATS!!! I had a feeling there was just some sort of mistake with your offer. That is fantastic news! Go live it up and celebrate this accomplishment!


This. I knew that 'no-offer' was not going to be end result for this thread. Good to hear.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.