Pretty sure I just lost 30K+ and my future due to a typo. Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Pretty sure I just lost 30K+ and my future due to a typo.

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:14 pm

I just finished EIW at NYU. While I was wating for my second to last interview, on the last day, I decided to take a look at the resume that was in my folder. I noticed that the name of the professor I worked for this summer is spelled two different ways in about two sentences. None of my interviewers, career services or my practice interviewer made any mention of this fact. I am not trying to play for sympathy. I just wanted to put this out there to see if you guys think I have any shot at all, or if I should consider my dreams of biglaw (at least this summer) officially dead. Neadless to say I have no CBs.

Anonymous User

Re: Pretty sure I just lost 30K+ and my future due to a typo.

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:18 pm

I don't think you're screwed at all. I accidentally listed my journal name wrong on my resume for 1L OCI, and I ended up getting the job offer - even though the hiring partner was a member of the journal and would know the name was wrong. I think people glance over little errors like this. Don't panic. :D

dood

Gold

Post by dood » Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:19 pm

Last edited by dood on Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I just finished EIW at NYU. While I was wating for my second to last interview, on the last day, I decided to take a look at the resume that was in my folder. I noticed that the name of the professor I worked for this summer is spelled two different ways in about two sentences. None of my interviewers, career services or my practice interviewer made any mention of this fact. I am not trying to play for sympathy. I just wanted to put this out there to see if you guys think I have any shot at all, or if I should consider my dreams of biglaw (at least this summer) officially dead. Neadless to say I have no CBs.
What are your grades?

MrKappus

Gold

Post by MrKappus » Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:40 pm

^ TITCQ(uestion)

OP: I wouldn't worry about it. Keep in mind, we stare at our resumes and go over them w/ fine tooth combs. Interviewers scan them for 10-15 seconds.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

trickydicky

New

Post by trickydicky » Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:42 pm

I completely garbled a cover letter. It was late and did a find and replace. When I look at it a week later the cover letter had two different firms mentioned in it.

I made a joke about it when I entered the interview room, gave the correct letter, and got a callback.

A good interview and personality can make up for a lot of things and get you the benefit of the doubt.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:06 pm

OP here. Thank you guys, I was losing my shit a little earlier (a lot if I am going to be honest), but you got to roll with it I guess. Anyway, back to the transfer write on.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:41 am

MrKappus wrote:^ TITCQ(uestion)

OP: I wouldn't worry about it. Keep in mind, we stare at our resumes and go over them w/ fine tooth combs. Interviewers scan them for 10-15 seconds.
Sorry, I should answered you. I am a transfer, top 1-2% at at a t-40.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”