questions to ask at oci

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

questions to ask at oci

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:10 am

For those of you have done interviews, what were some of the good questions you asked?

And what type of questions did you ask about the firm's summer program? Where do I find information about a firm's summer program?

Thanks.

motownsaint

Re: questions to ask at oci

Postby motownsaint » Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:16 am

Anonymous User wrote:For those of you have done interviews, what were some of the good questions you asked?

And what type of questions did you ask about the firm's summer program? Where do I find information about a firm's summer program?

Thanks.

I feel like my best questions have all come from the firm's website. Some of them are surprisingly detailed. One question I asked that went over really well (and this is firm dependent) was about the firm's robust associate committee system. The partner seemed pretty proud and stoked to talk about it.

thuggishruggishbone

Postby thuggishruggishbone » Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:24 am

I always ask the interviewer what he/she likes (and dislikes) about the firm. Good info to have and you can work it back into a conversation during a callback or in a thank you letter.

rynabrius

Postby rynabrius » Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:40 am

The more specific and flattering the question, the better. I think I scored a home run when I read an interviewer's large recent victory and asked specific questions about it that made it clear I had carefully read the opinion. (In the vein of, "Wow, I admired how you did [xyz]. On what timeline will new associates develop that sort of facility?")

--> One of the interviewers was the lead on a very interesting case, in the specific practice area I am interested in, and I had connected this interest to transferable skills from my prior work experience.

Unfortunately this is much harder to do if you are gunning for the transactional side. Worst case-scenario: "Oh, I see from my research you invented the poison pill. What the heck is that?"

My process now is to have three tiers of questions memorized prior to an interview. The first tier are interviewer-specific questions, the second tier are firm-specific questions, and the third tier are general questions.
Last edited by rynabrius on Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

seespotrun

Postby seespotrun » Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:53 am

Anonymous User wrote:For those of you have done interviews, what were some of the good questions you asked?

Thanks.

Is OCI not underway yet at your school?

Return to “Legal Employment”