SLS - callbacks Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: SLS - callbacks

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I've talked about my interview strategies with OCS, and they told me it seems like I'm doing everything okay, and that I'm not the only one...Really they didn't have any advice other than to add as many interviews as possible and start looking outside of OCI.

FWIW I'm a transfer...I have good grades and 2 years paralegal experiences, but I have other issues that may be putting firms off, so I think it's that rather than resume issues or interview problems. Even so, I definitely didn't expect this to happen...

slsocihelper@hotmail.com

hit me up with your email and i will get in touch with you on campus
Thanks slsocihelper, I sent you an email...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:00 pm

Any movement on A&P or JD?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:32 pm

A&P SF callback by phone last Friday

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:A&P SF callback by phone last Friday
Has anyone heard from DC?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any movement on A&P or JD?
Jones Day DC just called.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:24 am

Covington ding via snail mail yesterday.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:00 am

Covington DC ding via mail.

Davis Polk ding (post-callback) in the mail.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:32 am

Anonymous User wrote:Covington DC ding via mail.

When was your Davis Polk CB?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:13 am

Anonymous User wrote:

any word on what firms have offered. There has been a lot of silence on the offer front...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:25 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

any word on what firms have offered. There has been a lot of silence on the offer front...
Probably because callbacks week doesn't start until Monday.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:35 am

I'm assuming this is DPW menlo park

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Anyone hear back from Gibson Dunn LA

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:33 pm

Correct.

Really liked the office... good luck to you all!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:09 pm

Any word on Perkins Coie (Seattle)?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:29 pm

1L here - so is there a consensus on how SLS is faring versus other top schools? Should I be worried about getting only Ps this year?

War Cardinal

New

Post by War Cardinal » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:1L here - so is there a consensus on how SLS is faring versus other top schools? Should I be worried about getting only Ps this year?
You should be terrified.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:1L here - so is there a consensus on how SLS is faring versus other top schools? Should I be worried about getting only Ps this year?
Just went through OCI. If you get straight P's you'll likely strike out. There's no raw data on how we did this year compared to other schools so I won't speculate. But grades matter, don't be fooled into thinking they don't.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:22 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Just went through OCI. If you get straight P's you'll likely strike out. There's no raw data on how we did this year compared to other schools so I won't speculate. But grades matter, don't be fooled into thinking they don't.
Not necessary true. I think grades are important. So you should try your best. But all Ps are not end of the world. I know someone at SLS with all Ps, but got 10 callbacks, 5 offers, 1 ding so far. So there is always hope and your personality and the total package do matter.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:34 am

I suppose there are outliers but do you really want to chance it? Sure if u get all Ps you still have a chance, that's the beauty of going to SLS. But that's why I said you'll likely strike out. But I guess you could make up for bad grades by bidding smart and having a strong interview. I know multiple people who wanted bay area but couldn't get it b/c of grades

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:44 pm

I agree partially--grades matter somewhat.

However, if you have all Ps you'll only "likely strike out" if you're not strategic about how you bid (ie: only bidding Bay Area, only bidding top firms, etc). Stanford is good enough that even with straight Ps ITE your chance of getting a market job is solid if you're not picky about where that job is or who that job is with. Think about it this way: coming out of Stanford 1L with all Ps, you'll have a choice between getting a market paying job somewhere or getting some job--potentially paying less--in the location of your choice.

Obviously, these things are influenced by other factors--your pre-law experience, your summer job, what journals/activities you did in 1L, how you interview, etc. If everything else on your application is working against you, I guess all Ps could be the final straw, but if you have a lot of other positives in your application (as most people do), the grades probably won't be a huge problem. Also, it's important to note that things will likely be marginally better next year than they were this year (and things seem to have been marginally better this year than they were last), so all of this advice is probably on the pessimistic side.

Anecdotally, I can say that many of the less competitive firms I interviewed with didn't look at my transcript and were clearly only interviewing for fit (for better and for worse). I also don't know of anyone who struck out during OCI (although I imagine there are a couple), and I know of several people with all Ps who have at least one offer.

My sense is that Stanford's relatively better positioned than Harvard ITE, and somewhat similar to Yale; there are more firms that want Stanford students than there are Stanford students to go around both because of the small size of SLS and the significant geographic spreading of SLS students (there are obviously relatively tons of SLS students who go to LA/Bay Area, leaving relatively fewer for NY/DC, and almost nobody for Boston/Chicago/Texas). Firms DO care about school diversity in their classes, at least when it comes to HYS. The one exception is if you want to go to a boutique in Boston (then Harvard/Yale might be better) or Chicago (then U of C or Northwestern might be better). Then again, you'd be in much better shape going to Stanford if you want to go to a boutique in the Bay Area, or likely LA. Most boutiques only take 1-2 students every year, and they generally already have their established "regional" pipelines.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”