University of Chicago 2010 OCI - callbacks

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: University of Chicago 2010 OCI - callbacks

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:24 pm

6 CB out of 21 interviews (with 8 rejections) Chicago, 3 CB out of 3 interviews New York.

Top 10%, LR, work experience. Hmm, there, Chicago. Something tells me it's not just mouthbreather personalities or lack of bro-ness that's holding the Chicago bidders back, and more their choice of city. I have a solid connection to Chicago, so that's not it either. Not complaining about my prospects, more complaining about Chicago being a terrible market.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Slightly below median. 18 interviews. 7 Callbacks. One offer already.

Thank you UChicago for having the dorkiest student body of the T6. The key to getting BigLaw is NOT having the highest grades, but being the biggest bro. BigLaw and banking are the two biggest bro professions out there. Of course if you're top 10% + LR +Super nice you're going to clean up at OCI and in life. For the 80% of us between a 176 and 178 it ALL comes down to personality, and frankly a lot of people at UChi lack personality.

Love it! Slightly below median here too, 5 callbacks so far, attributing it to personality. Good luck to all--1Ls don't be scared.

Are these CBs in Chi/NY?

Also curious if slightly below median includes one or two glaringly bad grades or if you are basically indistinguishable from median.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:27 pm

E-mail ding from Jones Day. Rude!! (not really rude, but I'm sad)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Slightly below median. 18 interviews. 7 Callbacks. One offer already.

Thank you UChicago for having the dorkiest student body of the T6. The key to getting BigLaw is NOT having the highest grades, but being the biggest bro. BigLaw and banking are the two biggest bro professions out there. Of course if you're top 10% + LR +Super nice you're going to clean up at OCI and in life. For the 80% of us between a 176 and 178 it ALL comes down to personality, and frankly a lot of people at UChi lack personality.

Love it! Slightly below median here too, 5 callbacks so far, attributing it to personality. Good luck to all--1Ls don't be scared.

Are these CBs in Chi/NY?

Also curious if slightly below median includes one or two glaringly bad grades or if you are basically indistinguishable from median.

I'm at median and I have some glaringly bad grades. I mean very bad (Think Cs...). Even so, I got 5 callbacks from Chicago firms. I don't think it really matters if your grades are clustered around the median or scattered.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Also curious if slightly below median includes one or two glaringly bad grades or if you are basically indistinguishable from median.

I have some CBs in both Chi & NY. Basically, I have a terrible grade in one class, which is somewhat offset by a model answer in another class.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:E-mail ding from Jones Day. Rude!! (not really rude, but I'm sad)

May I ask which interviewer(s) and where?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:May I ask which interviewer(s) and where?
Jones Day (LA); ER & SH

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:28 pm

K&L Gates - 1 Interviewer, pleasantly surprised b/c I thought the interview did not go very well, and I have mediocre grades.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:47 pm

W&C - ding
C&B (DC) - cb: AN interviewed

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:K&L Gates - 1 Interviewer, pleasantly surprised b/c I thought the interview did not go very well, and I have mediocre grades.

What market? They had one interviewer for about seven different markets.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:13 pm

Jones Day (Chi) e-mail ding from PR

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:50 am

Anonymous User wrote:

So true. Our OCI has not been a bloodbath, and if you're someone who is above median but not getting CBs, or as many CBs as you think you deserve :roll: , it's time to accept the fact that there might be something a little off with you and not something wrong with the economy. The people racking up CBs, and I know multiple people with 7+, are people who have a combination of ok/good grades and personality.

:roll:
Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:57 am

I love that we've now heard from a nontrivial number of people who are significantly above median with 0 callbacks and we're OK with writing off their misfortune as their being "too aspie" or not "bro" enough. I'm glad that it's worked out for some people to relive their fraternity days while seated in a firm interview but doesn't it seem slightly simplistic (and more than a little bit ridiculous) to assume that people who are above median and sporting 0 CBs are virtual Dustin-Hoffmans-as-portrayed-in-Rainman?

Also, since when did it become necessary but not sufficient to be a "bro" for a law firm interview? I find it comical that someone raised this as the effective z-instrument to their success and now everyone is nodding their heads and agreeing.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:02 am

Anonymous User wrote:I love that we've now heard from a nontrivial number of people who are significantly above median with 0 callbacks and we're OK with writing off their misfortune as their being "too aspie" or not "bro" enough. I'm glad that it's worked out for some people to relive their fraternity days while seated in a firm interview but doesn't it seem slightly simplistic (and more than a little bit ridiculous) to assume that people who are above median and sporting 0 CBs are virtual Dustin-Hoffmans-as-portrayed-in-Rainman?

Also, since when did it become necessary but not sufficient to be a "bro" for a law firm interview? I find it comical that someone raised this as the effective z-instrument to their success and now everyone is nodding their heads and agreeing.

You're being dualistic. Nobody is saying that everyone who isn't a "bro" is aspie (well, not everyone is saying that). At least what I'm saying is that if you're merely pleasant and friendly, firms don't really have any reason to hire you over the other 100+ people who are median-ish and above.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:12 am

I don't think there is a secret formula in terms of landing a call back interview. At the end of the day, grades rule all. After the top 10%, it just all depends on whether you get lucky and can connect with an interviewer. Some do, some don't. It is what it is.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:27 am

Here's what I'm taking away from OCI: The two most important things are grades and the personality (I'm including interview skills as a part of "personality").

Some people will get a job just because of their grades. This is probably almost all of people in the top quarter of the class (179+) will get some sort of callback or offer solely because of the grades. Everyone between a 176-179 (outside of the bottom 10-20%) will have to fight for the CB's, with better interviewing required for the lower the grades. Outside of that, the bottom 10-20% (sub-176) will have to do something special to compensate for their terrible grades, and it will be tough no matter how strong an interviewer they are.

Grades play a large role in getting a CB, but there are a lot of people with great grades that have been shut out of OCI thus far. Grades + Personality are the two most important things for determining whether someone will receive a CB. If you have great grades and a mediocre personality, you'll probably be fine. Great grades and a terrible personality, you'll probably struggle a lot more than someone who has average grades and a great personality. You do learn a lot about firms/candidates in a 20 minute interview.

This is coming from someone below median w/ a mediocre resume and 5 CB's in a very tough market. If you've gotten shut out of OCI, don't just blame it on your grades.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:12 am

Anonymous User wrote:Here's what I'm taking away from OCI: The two most important things are grades and the personality (I'm including interview skills as a part of "personality").

Wow, did you really think writing that would be helpful?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:29 am

What about if you have a mediocre personality/grades but are extremely attractive?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:31 am

Has anybody heard anything (good or bad) from Latham Chicago? (Interviewer SW)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:34 am

Anything from Paul Hastings (NY) or Weil Gotshal?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:36 am

Anonymous User wrote:Has anybody heard anything (good or bad) from Latham Chicago? (Interviewer SW)

Nope. Actually, I haven't heard back from more than half the firms I interviewed with at OCI. Are other people still waiting on most of their results?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:38 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Has anybody heard anything (good or bad) from Latham Chicago? (Interviewer SW)

Nope. Actually, I haven't heard back from more than half the firms I interviewed with at OCI. Are other people still waiting on most of their results?

Yeah, waiting on 11.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:39 am

I love how this thread has turned into the people with callbacks claiming that it's all about personality: "People must love me!" And people without callbacks, who must have terrible personalities under this theory, are blaming it on the economy, OCS, etc.: "I'm not a complete loser, am I?"

I think we can all agree that a number of factors determine who gets cb's:

1) Grades matter. Everywhere. Yet high grades don't necessarily lead to auto-cb's, and low grades =/= auto-ding (at least at some places).

2) Location matters. Many of our classmates bid exclusively on Chicago. Over the past three years, the number of SA positions in Chicago has fallen from 900 to 300. Because most Chicago firms recruit at more than simply NU and UofC, it is tough to get a position in Chicago.

3) Some people did a terrible job bidding in at least two ways.
a) Some people did very little research on the selectivity of firms. I was shocked by the number of students clearly outside the top 10% (ok, I'm being a bit judgmental) who interviewed with Wachtell, W&C, Cravath, Susman, Munger, Irell, etc.
b) Some people were content with less than 15 screening interviews. In my opinion, everyone outside of the top 10% should have tried for at least 25 interviews. If there were only 10 firms a market, people should have tried for multiple markets.

4) Firms make freakish, random-seeming decisions. Maybe a hiring partner--with whom you didn't meet--also has an undying passion for rock-climbing, or loves people from your undergrad, or was impressed by your exceptionally high grade in a cryptically named class, "Emotion, Reason, and the Law." Grading and cb decisions can be equally arbitrary.

5) A confident, warm personality helps, but it's unclear how much. I don't think personality should be a huge factor since nearly everyone with the brains to attend UofC also has the ability to act friendly and outgoing for 20 minutes. Maybe not, but this has been my experience. Also, for a number of firms, an associate did the interview, but some hiring partner made the cb decision. In this case, it seems unlikely personality helps much.

Of the people I know who did well at OCI outside the top 10%, (3) seems to have played the biggest role. (1) and (5) probably played minor roles.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:43 am

Anonymous User wrote:What about if you have a mediocre personality/grades but are extremely attractive?

I'd give you a cb.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:09 am

Freshfields Bruckhaus CB via phone @ 10

Only one interviewer -- My CB is for the HKG office

Return to “Legal Employment”