University of Chicago 2010 OCI - callbacks

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
doyleoil

Re: University of Chicago 2010 OCI - callbacks

Postby doyleoil » Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:13 pm

JollyGreenGiant wrote:What's generally considered to be median at UChi? 17x..

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:49 pm

Any U of C'ers had CBs at Dechert's DC office?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:10 pm

Slightly below median. 18 interviews. 7 Callbacks. One offer already.

Thank you UChicago for having the dorkiest student body of the T6. The key to getting BigLaw is NOT having the highest grades, but being the biggest bro. BigLaw and banking are the two biggest bro professions out there. Of course if you're top 10% + LR +Super nice you're going to clean up at OCI and in life. For the 80% of us between a 176 and 178 it ALL comes down to personality, and frankly a lot of people at UChi lack personality.

NYAssociate

Postby NYAssociate » Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:16 pm

Last edited by NYAssociate on Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rynabrius

Postby rynabrius » Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Slightly below median. 18 interviews. 7 Callbacks. One offer already.

Thank you UChicago for having the dorkiest student body of the T6. The key to getting BigLaw is NOT having the highest grades, but being the biggest bro. BigLaw and banking are the two biggest bro professions out there. Of course if you're top 10% + LR +Super nice you're going to clean up at OCI and in life. For the 80% of us between a 176 and 178 it ALL comes down to personality, and frankly a lot of people at UChi lack personality.

So did you ice the broskis in your interviews?

boolaw

Postby boolaw » Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Slightly below median. 18 interviews. 7 Callbacks. One offer already.

lol. This was funny, but you're still kind of a douche. Thanks for sharing though. :p

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

there's a difference between obnoxious frattiness and being able to carry a natural conversation

although i suppose the former might be useful at the lathams of the world

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

there's a difference between obnoxious frattiness and being able to carry a natural conversation

although i suppose the former might be useful at the lathams of the world

Absolutely not true. Obnoxious frattiness landed me a non-Latham cb. Female V50 Interviewer: "So where do you like to go out?" Me: "Normally r-north, lincoln park is too fratty for me." Female V50 interviewer: "You can DEFINITELY pull off fratty. Have you guys at Chi heard of that icing game yet?" Me: "Absolutely, but unfortunately I don't have an ice on me so please abstain if you're thinking what I think your thinking." Female V50 interviewer: "hahaha I'm not going to ice you don't worry."

No joke. That actually happened.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:42 pm

I wish you were right.

179, 20 interviews, 8 rejections, 0 callbacks, definitely a top twenty bar review attendee

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:45 pm

So true. Our OCI has not been a bloodbath, and if you're someone who is above median but not getting CBs, or as many CBs as you think you deserve :roll: , it's time to accept the fact that there might be something a little off with you and not something wrong with the economy. The people racking up CBs, and I know multiple people with 7+, are people who have a combination of ok/good grades and personality.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

So true. Our OCI has not been a bloodbath, and if you're someone who is above median but not getting CBs, or as many CBs as you think you deserve :roll: , it's time to accept the fact that there might be something a little off with you and not something wrong with the economy. The people racking up CBs, and I know multiple people with 7+, are people who have a combination of ok/good grades and personality.

so let's review:

1) non-aspieness = necessary condition
2) grades + bar-review-stud = not sufficient condition
3) safe at uchicago oci? = 180 gpa + LR + 6'2, broad shoulders, good teeth, winning smile

am i missing anything?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Cadwalader callback.

Which office?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:55 pm

NYAssociate wrote:

Probably one of the best posts here. Don't know enough to have an opinion on the UChicago stuff, but the bro stuff is certainly true.

I don't think you have to be a "bro" but you definitely need presence. You're going to be a lawyer - your job will be (at some level) advising people. You need to come across as a grownup whose advice someone would want to listen to.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

so let's review:

1) non-aspieness = necessary condition
2) grades + bar-review-stud = not sufficient condition
3) safe at uchicago oci? = 180 gpa + LR + 6'2, broad shoulders, good teeth, winning smile

am i missing anything?

I've got both terrible grades and a terrible personality, but I do have the 6'2 + relatively broad shoulders + winning smile thing going for me. Good for 3 callbacks, so I guess first impressions do count somewhat (not saying 3 CB's is great or anything, but it's more than I expected.)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Cadwalader callback.

Which office?

NY.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:04 pm

Anyone hear from Kirkland Chi, interviews S&D?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone hear from Kirkland Chi, interviews S&D?

yeah, got a cb from them on friday last week

funkyturds

Postby funkyturds » Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:06 pm

so, i have one year before OCI to become a bro. how should i start, bros?

radek

Postby radek » Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:10 pm

funkyturds wrote:so, i have one year before OCI to become a bro. how should i start, bros?

Work exclusively on upper body strength with your exercising. Learn how to be a condescending asshole to everyone who is not on your "level."

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone hear from Kirkland Chi, interviews S&D?

yeah, got a cb from them on friday last week

Thanks. Had a great time, and bro'd it up with them a little -- hope they are doing rolling callbacks.

If not I'm going to ice them so hard...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:39 pm

radek wrote:
funkyturds wrote:so, i have one year before OCI to become a bro. how should i start, bros?

Work exclusively on upper body strength with your exercising. Learn how to be a condescending asshole to everyone who is not on your "level."

Think things through from the point of an OCI interviewer. You've got 40 people you have to see. 80% of them are identical. Who do you call back? You could go with the 10 highest GPAs or whatever, but you (having been hired during the boom) were medianish yourself. You don't give a shit about GPAs, except to the extent you have to ding people below the cut-off they gave you.

No, you pick the people you like/remember/are impressed with. Does someone have simply amazing grades? Sure, CB. Does someone seem to know exactly how your firm fits into his plan? CB. Does someone have great pre-LS experience he can bring to the table? CB.

ITE the quotas are small and you can fill it with people who have decent grades and good soft factors, without ever dipping into the pool of people who have good grades but are otherwise completely indistinguishable from each other.

JollyGreenGiant

Postby JollyGreenGiant » Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:00 pm

Teach me how to dougie, t-t-t-teach me how to dougie.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:12 pm

Love it! Slightly below median here too, 5 callbacks so far, attributing it to personality. Good luck to all--1Ls don't be scared.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:20 pm

Fried Frank NY CB (Interviewer CO) today.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:23 pm

Fried Frank NY CB today - PS

Return to “Legal Employment”