hearing back re callbacks, and advice going forward Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
2LLLL

Bronze

hearing back re callbacks, and advice going forward

Post by 2LLLL » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:53 pm

Last edited by 2LLLL on Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jarndyce

Bronze

Re: hearing back re callbacks, and advice going forward

Post by Jarndyce » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:40 pm

Some firms do 3L interviews, but those are admittedly very limited.

Don't worry so much yet- I am trying not to. I am top 5% at a high t-2, and I had about 15 OCIs last week. Out of those, I have heard back from 2 (I got callbacks to both), I know of two that have started callbacks already which I did not get, and the rest are still uncertain. There is still time... plus you probably already bagged one more callback than a lot of people will even get.

Gold

Post by 270910 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:47 pm

2LLLL wrote:[A]t what point can you assume that silence is a ding?
Never. Some firms take months to reject, others sometimes give a callback in late September even if most were done earlier. You're dinged when you're dinged. Obviously prolonged silence isn't a good sign, but "it varies" really is the only answer.

truthypants

Bronze

Post by truthypants » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:04 pm

You can always switch to part-time and get another crack at OCI next year (employers usually are seeking 2Ds or 3Es-not 3Ds, tho).

chadwick218

Silver

Post by chadwick218 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:15 pm

Hang in there. I received a callback from a firm today that I interviewed with 14 days ago. You should also keep in mind that if you are outside of New York and DC, firms tend to move much slower (especially in Chicago, Texas, and California).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:23 pm

chadwick218 wrote:Hang in there. I received a callback from a firm today that I interviewed with 14 days ago. You should also keep in mind that if you are outside of New York and DC, firms tend to move much slower (especially in Chicago, Texas, and California).
a lot of chicago firms dont start callbacks until around labor day. NY on other hand usually has a very quick turnaround. I got most of my rejections/callbacks within 10 days of interviewing while the chicago firms gave a 2-3 weeks timeline for decisions

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:30 pm

chadwick218 wrote:Hang in there. I received a callback from a firm today that I interviewed with 14 days ago. You should also keep in mind that if you are outside of New York and DC, firms tend to move much slower (especially in Chicago, Texas, and California).
This hasn't really been the experience for Columbia's EIP (either for California or Chicago, not sure about Texas) -- maybe this is a recent phenomenon related to the change in the acceptance window?

shmoo597

Bronze

Post by shmoo597 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:21 pm

disco_barred wrote:
2LLLL wrote:[A]t what point can you assume that silence is a ding?
Never. Some firms take months to reject, others sometimes give a callback in late September even if most were done earlier. You're dinged when you're dinged. Obviously prolonged silence isn't a good sign, but "it varies" really is the only answer.
I just want to take this opportunity to say that I appreciate your posts disco. In a sea of paranoia, groupthink, and herd-following, you're often the only voice of reason around here. Shit is rarely as clear cut/black and white as people want it to be.

Pablo Ramirez

Bronze

Post by Pablo Ramirez » Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
a lot of chicago firms dont start callbacks until around labor day. NY on other hand usually has a very quick turnaround. I got most of my rejections/callbacks within 10 days of interviewing while the chicago firms gave a 2-3 weeks timeline for decisions
Does this apply to a national firm like Kirkland & Ellis?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:42 pm

Firms will contact you when they choose to reject you. Hang in there.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:04 am

Pablo Ramirez wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Does this apply to a national firm like Kirkland & Ellis?
I dont interview with them until next week so I am not sure what their timeline is. Most of the firms that I have interviewed are midsize firms that wait till they do all their OCI at various schools before scheduling callbacks
dresden doll wrote:Firms will contact you when they choose to reject you. Hang in there.
Very true. Still doesn't help the anxiety though :|

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”