When is it "too late" for callback interviews?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

When is it "too late" for callback interviews?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:12 pm

I know the earlier the better, but for v100s (i.e. those firms who make rolling decisions) when do chances begin to diminish substantially? I've read elsewhere that some firms have semi-formal "offer deadlines". Specifically, I'm wondering if Sep. 16 is OK or if I should make an effort to reschedule?

Anonymous User

Re: When is it "too late" for callback interviews?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:01 pm

bump

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:bump

I don't know when exactly is too late, but I have callbacks scheduled for the 10th and 11th of Sep, so the 16th sounds fine to me.

Postby 270910 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:22 pm

It depends on the firm and the school. There are firms for which mid-Sept would be laughably late, and firms for which you might be the first person in the door. Schedule ASAP and work with their schedule so that you make sure you aren't waltzing in well after everyone else.

Bosque

Postby Bosque » Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:47 pm

I think you should be fine with the 16th. While of course earlier is better, I just would make sure none of your call back dates start with a "10." The extra 6 days or so you will get from trying to push the date up are not worth the loss of goodwill (and money) from making them rework the schedule.

Postby 20160810 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:48 pm

Hopefully not for a little bit since Davis's next OCI round isn't until 9/7-9/10.

EarlCat

Postby EarlCat » Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:55 pm

Too late is later than the firm will schedule you.

Postby 270910 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:24 pm

SBL wrote:Hopefully not for a little bit since Davis's next OCI round isn't until 9/7-9/10.

CA schools definitely haven't bought into the arms race the way East coast schools have. Shrewd?

Postby 20160810 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:50 pm

disco_barred wrote:
SBL wrote:Hopefully not for a little bit since Davis's next OCI round isn't until 9/7-9/10.

CA schools definitely haven't bought into the arms race the way East coast schools have. Shrewd?

Eh, given that there are (1.) A(n at least theoretically) limited number of SA slots extant and (2.) CBs and offers already going out to oodles of law students to fill those sluts, I'm a touch concerned about our lateness. If this was a T14 school, we could sit back and know that firms would wait for us to be good and ready, but given that we're TTT30, I think we should be hustling and pushing every advantage.

Bosque

Postby Bosque » Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:56 pm

SBL wrote:
disco_barred wrote:

Eh, given that there are (1.) A(n at least theoretically) limited number of SA slots extant and (2.) CBs and offers already going out to oodles of law students to fill those sluts, I'm a touch concerned about our lateness. If this was a T14 school, we could sit back and know that firms would wait for us to be good and ready, but given that we're TTT30, I think we should be hustling and pushing every advantage.

Eh, Duke's next OCI round starts tomorrow, and then our third begins the 15th. You are not that far behind.

Postby 20160810 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:58 pm

Bosque wrote:
SBL wrote:
disco_barred wrote:

Eh, Duke's next OCI round starts tomorrow, and then our third begins the 15th. You are not that far behind.

I also don't think it is a huge deal. It would be illogical and unprofitable for firms to sit through 20 screeners at UCD if they didn't have any remaining spots to give out; however I think they might not have AS MANY.

shmoo597

Postby shmoo597 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:54 pm

What about the time of day?

If I'm offered the chance of a breakfast callback that starts at 8am, in early september, vs. a more traditional 9:30 callback followed by lunch in mid sept, is there a better choice? I know I'm over-thinking this, but I'm trying to weigh getting my callback in a week or two earlier vs. forcing people to be awake and in the office at 8am and losing the benefit of an informal lunch once all the interviews are over.

I am definitely over-thinking this, but any advice would be appreciated.

Postby 270910 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:56 pm

shmoo597 wrote:What about the time of day?

If I'm offered the chance of a breakfast callback that starts at 8am, in early september, vs. a more traditional 9:30 callback followed by lunch in mid sept, is there a better choice? I know I'm over-thinking this, but I'm trying to weigh getting my callback in a week or two earlier vs. forcing people to be awake and in the office at 8am and losing the benefit of an informal lunch once all the interviews are over.

I am definitely over-thinking this, but any advice would be appreciated.

Earlier in September, no question about it. Format matters way less than number of slots in the summer class when you sit down to interview.

rynabrius

Postby rynabrius » Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:58 pm

SBL wrote:
disco_barred wrote:

Freudian slap of the weak.

EarlCat

Postby EarlCat » Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:20 am

SBL wrote:CBs and offers already going out to oodles of law students to fill those sluts, I'm a touch concerned about our lateness.

You should be honored by my lateness.

Blindmelon

Postby Blindmelon » Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:30 pm

So when they say schedule whenever during the day you want, I asked about times and they rattled off a bunch. Is 2pm too late? I didn't expect that to be an option/thought it would be a more involved all day thing but they said it was about 3 hours total.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:13 pm

disco_barred wrote:It depends on the firm and the school. There are firms for which mid-Sept would be laughably late, and firms for which you might be the first person in the door. Schedule ASAP and work with their schedule so that you make sure you aren't waltzing in well after everyone else.

On that note, one V50 NYC firm isn't even starting callback interviews until the third week of September!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:49 pm

Blindmelon wrote:So when they say schedule whenever during the day you want, I asked about times and they rattled off a bunch. Is 2pm too late? I didn't expect that to be an option/thought it would be a more involved all day thing but they said it was about 3 hours total.

It varies firm to firm. I have one that starts at 2, and one that started at 9. If they offer a time at 2, I think you are safe to schedule that time.

Postby 270910 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Blindmelon wrote:So when they say schedule whenever during the day you want, I asked about times and they rattled off a bunch. Is 2pm too late? I didn't expect that to be an option/thought it would be a more involved all day thing but they said it was about 3 hours total.

It varies firm to firm. I have one that starts at 2, and one that started at 9. If they offer a time at 2, I think you are safe to schedule that time.

+1. time of day couldn't matter less. You get lunch most places if you go in early, but that's mostly seen as a perk to you (food + chance to talk to younger associates).

Blindmelon

Postby Blindmelon » Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:28 pm

disco_barred wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

+1. time of day couldn't matter less. You get lunch most places if you go in early, but that's mostly seen as a perk to you (food + chance to talk to younger associates).

Sweet thanks man. I was getting worried that no lunch was a disadvantage. Wish me luck!

Postby 270910 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:36 pm

Blindmelon wrote:
disco_barred wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Sweet thanks man. I was getting worried that no lunch was a disadvantage. Wish me luck!

Good luck!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:39 pm

ive got a 5pm callback w one firm. Can any inferences be drawn, chances-wise, from that?

EarlCat

Postby EarlCat » Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:42 pm

disco_barred wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I would guess at a late interview they would want to take you to dinner.

Postby 270910 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:45 pm

EarlCat wrote:
disco_barred wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I would guess at a late interview they would want to take you to dinner.

The most common NYC style is a choice of a 9:30-10:30 ish start time + lunch or an after lunch time with no meal. But it really runs the gamut. I've head of all day affairs, I've heard of dinners before callbacks, I've heard of group dinners, I've heard of lunch + dinner, I've heard or morning CBs with no lunch, I've even heard of callbacks that start at like 6pm.

Still, a safe default assumption is morning + lunch or afternoon w/o any meal. The firm will likely be quite explicit when scheduling though, so there won't be any surprises once your phone actually rings.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:51 am

i had a v30 cb, from 11-1, with no lunch. i wasn't really expecting as they made no mention of it. i even asked on the phone approximately how long the cb would take and they said i should be out by 1. i think several firms have stopped diong the lunch.

Return to “Legal Employment”