LinkedIn, anyone?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
IzziesGal

LinkedIn, anyone?

Postby IzziesGal » Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:48 pm

What are everyone's thoughts on LinkedIn? I am one of the few people in the world with no myspace or facebook, and damn proud of it.....but is it worth it to get LinkedIn? Is it less cheesy / less trashy / less scary in general, or is it essentially the same thing as myspace or facebook?

IzziesGal

Re: LinkedIn, anyone?

Postby IzziesGal » Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:14 pm

Almost 50 views, and no one wants to help out? Is it cause I changed my 'tar to Lilo? :(

pu_golf88

Postby pu_golf88 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:20 pm

LinkedIn isn't trashy or anything like Facebook, it's used by professionals some of which are looking for jobs. I don't know too much about it, but if you aren't working I don't see much of a point. From what I've gathered it's basically an online resume.

dougroberts

Postby dougroberts » Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:21 pm

LinkedIn is okay as an online resume but don't buy any of those claims that you can use it to "network" and get jobs, all it helps is keep a list of business contacts up to date with your latest experiences via an online resume. LinkedIn is also good if you have sketchy stuff about you on the internet and it comes up in Google. If you have a LinkedIn page, and perhaps some contacts, your LinkedIn page will come to the top of Google in no time which might be helpful.

Now, I will say that after submitting bids for OCI, I saw anonymous hits on my LinkedIn profile more than double. Are employers looking my name up? Who knows . . .

d34d9823

Postby d34d9823 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:22 pm

It's good once you're working for getting your name out there and networking with people you meet, but I don't think it's worth the trouble for students (not sure what you are).

IzziesGal

Postby IzziesGal » Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:32 pm

d34dluk3 wrote:It's good once you're working for getting your name out there and networking with people you meet, but I don't think it's worth the trouble for students (not sure what you are).

What trouble do you mean? And yes - 2L here.

d34d9823

Postby d34d9823 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:38 pm

IzziesGal wrote:
d34dluk3 wrote:It's good once you're working for getting your name out there and networking with people you meet, but I don't think it's worth the trouble for students (not sure what you are).

What trouble do you mean? And yes - 2L here.

You have to go to the trouble of setting it up, and updating it, and making sure it reflects well on you, and not offending people who try to network because you're too busy to check it, etc. I guess if you are going to use it to network with the people you meet at firm hospitality stuff, it could be worth it, but I don't think you'd need it until you graduate.

Disclaimer: I am currently a professional (not a lawyer). This is based on how my field works. Law could be different.

midwestls

Postby midwestls » Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:53 am

If you know how to use it, LinkedIn can be a tremendous resource for finding a 2L summer job.

Unfortunately, most folks don't know how to use it.

Here's the simplest explanation:

Step 1: Get connected to as many people as possible.
Step 2: Use the search figure to find a big-name law firm, Sidley Austin, for example.
Step 3: Once you're on Sidley's page, click on the link on the right side termed "law practice" (it's in the profile under industry).
Step 4: The law practice link should show you all your connections to law firms. If you have between 50-100 connections on LinkedIn, you'll often be surprised by how many connections you have to big firms. You can edit the search results to show only first or second generation connections, i.e. friends of friends, or friends of friends friends. Now you have to ask your friends to introduce you to these people, and then you ask those people if they'd look at your resume, writing sample, etc. and forward them to career services.

If you're a good student and have something to sell, just having a lawyer at the firm send your stuff to career services will often exponentially increase your chance for a callback IMO.

You obviously have to get on this early, though. You need to be doing it in June, not September. LinkedIn is only as useful as you're willing to make it by putting the work in.

underdawg

Postby underdawg » Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:54 am

^
sounds reasonable

IzziesGal

Postby IzziesGal » Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:41 pm

Thanks for the advice! That's really very helpful.

What about for after accepting 2L summer offers? Anyone see any utility in keeping a LinkedIn account then?

amped

Postby amped » Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:21 pm

I'd agree with midwest's advice. LinkedIn can be a great way to meet people at organizations you want to work for. I'm looking to get into fed agencies and have met multiple people at those organizations through LinkedIn. It's good to have some kind of connection, i.e. an alum of your LS or UG. I've straight up sent messages to people from my alma mater and asked them to go out to lunch and chat. The best part is that they usually pay for it because I'm a student. =)

I also don't see any harm in keeping it after you get a job. You never know when another opportunity might come along. And really, it's not like it takes any time to keep it updated. Maybe a few minutes a month. It's a good way to keep in touch with people too.

Return to “Legal Employment”