OCI?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

OCI?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:37 pm

Just transferred schools and my school forces transfers to apply directly to the employers instead of bidding through OCI. The school says to just tell them you are a transfer and that you can get interviews that way. I wasn't even planning on doing OCI at my old school b/c there were basically like 5 firms coming to campus and I don't want to do biglaw anyway. It would be nice to experience the job though and to make a good deal of money 2L summer. Should I send out mass emails or just forget it?

Re: OCI?

Postby 270910 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just transferred schools and my school forces transfers to apply directly to the employers instead of bidding through OCI. The school says to just tell them you are a transfer and that you can get interviews that way. I wasn't even planning on doing OCI at my old school b/c there were basically like 5 firms coming to campus and I don't want to do biglaw anyway. It would be nice to experience the job though and to make a good deal of money 2L summer. Should I send out mass emails or just forget it?

naw dawg f jobs who would want one of those am i rite?

MrKappus

Postby MrKappus » Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:40 pm

You transferred to a school that barred you from its OCI? I don't get it. Also, is your question "Should I apply for a job?"?

Yeah...you should do that.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:45 pm

LOL. Well, I guess it sounded worse than it did in my head. I'm just wondering if you guys think that firms would be at all likely to consider a transfer student that mails them their resume and tries to get an interview during OCI season. If it's not likely, why should I go through the whole process when I don't even want to do biglaw? It would basically only be for the 2L money and MAYBE to save for a few years after school to open my own firm.

Postby 270910 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:LOL. Well, I guess it sounded worse than it did in my head. I'm just wondering if you guys think that firms would be at all likely to consider a transfer student that mails them their resume and tries to get an interview during OCI season. If it's not likely, why should I go through the whole process when I don't even want to do biglaw? It would basically only be for the 2L money and MAYBE to save for a few years after school to open my own firm.

yeah fuck jobs

missmarioncrane

Postby missmarioncrane » Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:48 pm

I doubt you can get a job this way. Even giving employers you didn't get lottery interviews with your resume at OCI hospitality suites rarely leads to anything. That said, I would still do it. Why not?

Umm, so what are you planning to do for money/work next summer?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:49 pm

disco_barred wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:LOL. Well, I guess it sounded worse than it did in my head. I'm just wondering if you guys think that firms would be at all likely to consider a transfer student that mails them their resume and tries to get an interview during OCI season. If it's not likely, why should I go through the whole process when I don't even want to do biglaw? It would basically only be for the 2L money and MAYBE to save for a few years after school to open my own firm.

yeah fuck jobs

You are mean. Are you an accurate representation of the posters on this site?

:wink:

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I doubt you can get a job this way. Even giving employers you didn't get lottery interviews with your resume at OCI hospitality suites rarely leads to anything. That said, I would still do it. Why not?

Umm, so what are you planning to do for money/work next summer?

Well, it seems as though I may get hired back on at my 1L firm, which I loved and is in the area of law I want to get into, so this whole discussion may be moot. I might make half the wage of a biglaw associate for the summer, but it is a really great firm where I will be able to learn a lot.

missmarioncrane

Postby missmarioncrane » Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:54 pm

If you can already get the job you want, yes, why put in the futile effort for something you don't want?

But if you can't get the job you want, then maybe you should be worried, if you don't have some other plan. Like that you are independently wealthy.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If you can already get the job you want, yes, why put in the futile effort for something you don't want?

But if you can't get the job you want, then maybe you should be worried, if you don't have some other plan. Like that you are independently wealthy.

Nope, very poor.

missmarioncrane

Postby missmarioncrane » Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:01 pm

That seems to answer your question then?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:That seems to answer your question then?

Yeah, I'm going to focus on "secondary markets" to my "secondary market" though. Probs a lot less competition in some very low COL areas. I'll still hit up the big market, but doubt anything will come of it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:19 pm

This thread is now about sample cover letters......GO:

skoobily doobily

Postby skoobily doobily » Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just transferred schools and my school forces transfers to apply directly to the employers instead of bidding through OCI. The school says to just tell them you are a transfer and that you can get interviews that way. I wasn't even planning on doing OCI at my old school b/c there were basically like 5 firms coming to campus and I don't want to do biglaw anyway. It would be nice to experience the job though and to make a good deal of money 2L summer. Should I send out mass emails or just forget it?

You transferred TO a school that has 5 firms coming to OCI?? Sounds like a lost cause to me already.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:32 am

skoobily doobily wrote:

You transferred TO a school that has 5 firms coming to OCI?? Sounds like a lost cause to me already.

I just re-read my post and cannot see how you could have interpreted it that way......the 5 firms were at my old school. My new one has about 50 or so firms.

underdawg

Postby underdawg » Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:22 am

wtf kind of school doesn't let transfers do OCI?

skoobily doobily

Postby skoobily doobily » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:25 am

Anonymous User wrote:
skoobily doobily wrote:

I just re-read my post and cannot see how you could have interpreted it that way......the 5 firms were at my old school. My new one has about 50 or so firms.

This kind of reading comprehension fail has me worried about myself this year.

lovelaw27

Postby lovelaw27 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:35 am

underdawg wrote:wtf kind of school doesn't let transfers do OCI?

Fordham doesn't let transfer students do EIW.

underdawg

Postby underdawg » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:48 am

lovelaw27 wrote:

wtf

OperaSoprano

Postby OperaSoprano » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:56 pm

underdawg wrote:
lovelaw27 wrote:

wtf

This is true. I confirmed it myself. Our school has eight more weeks of OCI, and there are still a lot of opportunities to interview with firms (I think Freshfields is coming later in the season, for instance), but I do personally wish to see transfers given every opportunity to succeed. I wish we could change the policy, even if I do stand to gain by it. (I don't think we take enough transfers to substantially hurt the chances of native students, and giving transfers equal standing at OCI would only boost our overall employment stats.)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:00 pm

skoobily doobily wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
skoobily doobily wrote:

This kind of reading comprehension fail has me worried about myself this year.

Lol, no worries. I was just trying to figure out if my wording was confusing or something.

Return to “Legal Employment”