Callback Tips Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Callback Tips

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:43 pm

So I have my first callback this week. Does anyone with experience have any tips to share on having a successful callback interview? Do the interviews tend to be different from the screening interviews?

Gold

Re: Callback Tips

Post by 270910 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:44 pm

Interviews aren't much different. There's a bit more focus on what the particular attorney you're speaking to does rather than what the firm in general does, and they're often a little longer (30 as opposed to 20 minutes). Otherwise it's very similar to screening interviews.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:50 pm

Thanks! Did you find the interviews to be more casual, in the sense that the interviewer is just trying to get a sense of whether you fit, as opposed to asking the difficult on-the-spot questions that you sometimes get in a screener?

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Thanks! Did you find the interviews to be more casual, in the sense that the interviewer is just trying to get a sense of whether you fit, as opposed to asking the difficult on-the-spot questions that you sometimes get in a screener?
Yes - much more casual and the assessment is mostly fit-based. Expect a lot of questions probing how much you've thought about what you want to do and where you want to do it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Thanks! Did you find the interviews to be more casual, in the sense that the interviewer is just trying to get a sense of whether you fit, as opposed to asking the difficult on-the-spot questions that you sometimes get in a screener?
I just had one and found the questions were much more probing and substantive than the screening interview. I thought it was much more difficult, but that might have just been the firm.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

IzziesGal

Silver

Post by IzziesGal » Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:22 pm

Totally opposite experience from the previous poster. I had several interviews pre-OCIP that were dubbed "callbacks," and they much more laid back - essentially just personality tests. I did get a couple law questions (what was your law review competition like, what's your favorite class, etc), but mostly it was just a conversation. The trick is to not let down your guard too much - let your personality shine through, but still be professional. Especially during the lunches.

I feel like callbacks are almost more valuable for us as applicants. I learned almost immediately during callbacks if I could see myself at a particular firm. I hate to say it like this (since law students like to be able to tie things to something tangible or logical), but it really is a gut feeling you get walking through the halls of the law firm and talking to the associates. Use it as a chance to look at everything around you - how do partners interact with their secretaries, are the office doors mainly opened or closed, are the offices super flashy or more conservative (good indicators of where money is going), are the administrative people you meet on the reception floors genuinely cheerful and happy to be there, etc. Think of this as your opportunity to take in as much as you can - marketing materials on websites can only say so much.

Oh, and relax - you've made it past the biggest hurdle. Just take a deep breath, be confident, and you'll do fine. :D

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:31 pm

Thanks for the helpful replies. Would you say that I still have to worry about the on-the-spot absurd questions that some of us unfortunately run into in screening interviews (e.g., "what would you do if..."; "have you ever been in a situation where...")?

Also, would it be a good idea to ask to drop by the office of the associate that interviewed me at the screener, to say thanks and hello? This associate also gave me the call informing me of the callback and tipped me off as to how and when hiring decisions are made and how I should consequently schedule my callback. Thoughts?

IzziesGal: great post, thanks!

IzziesGal

Silver

Post by IzziesGal » Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Thanks for the helpful replies. Would you say that I still have to worry about the on-the-spot absurd questions that some of us unfortunately run into in screening interviews (e.g., "what would you do if..."; "have you ever been in a situation where...")?

Also, would it be a good idea to ask to drop by the office of the associate that interviewed me at the screener, to say thanks and hello? This associate also gave me the call informing me of the callback and tipped me off as to how and when hiring decisions are made and how I should consequently schedule my callback. Thoughts?

IzziesGal: great post, thanks!
In re "the awkward questions" - it depends on the interviewer, but is HIGHLY unlikely you'll get this type of question during a biglaw callback. If you do, it's probably because you have an inexperienced interviewer. Be prepared mentally for it just in case, but know it's entirely unlikely. Ask lots of questions about the practice groups, what type of work you'll be doing, etc. Keep the dialogue flowing, and hopefully those Qs will never come up.

About the associate - I wouldnt just drop by unannounced. Associates are busy, and they are busy billing hours. I wanted to drop by a partner's office when I did a callback to say hi and thanks (someone I knew from working there previously), and recruiting advised against doing this without calling first. I'd look at the list of people you're interviewing with (you will usually get the list of people the night before - which sucks, b/c it can be a lot of names to memorize and take details about all at once on short notice) and see if this associate is on there. If not, I'd drop her an email and say you'd really like to drop by and say hello and thank you, if she has the time. Let her know when you'll be there, and ask if it's okay to stop by after your day is over. I think this shows respect for her time, and will go a long way.

Oh, and you're welcome for the advice!! :D

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:37 am

thanks guys, this was just the thread i was hoping for!

any advice on callback lunches/dinners? i have no idea what to expect.

also my school career office said to ask a lot of questions about practice areas and what work my interviewers do. in all honesty though, i'm not that interested. i've done a lot of research on the firms that i interviewed with, spoken to 2Ls that were there, asked my screening interviewer about practice areas, etc. does it look bad on me to not ask a lot? at this point i'm also just trying to assess fit rather than what work i'll be doing next summer.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

underdawg

Silver

Post by underdawg » Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:52 am

Anonymous User wrote:thanks guys, this was just the thread i was hoping for!

also my school career office said to ask a lot of questions about practice areas and what work my interviewers do. in all honesty though, i'm not that interested. i've done a lot of research on the firms that i interviewed with, spoken to 2Ls that were there, asked my screening interviewer about practice areas, etc. does it look bad on me to not ask a lot? at this point i'm also just trying to assess fit rather than what work i'll be doing next summer.
depends on the interviewer, but you have to convince them that you have indeed done your research, i would think
Last edited by underdawg on Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IzziesGal

Silver

Post by IzziesGal » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:06 am

Anonymous User wrote:thanks guys, this was just the thread i was hoping for!

Try asking them what they do on a daily basis instead. Say something like, "I noticed you're an M&A attorney and have worked on X, Y, and Z, deals, but what does that involve on a daily basis? What type of work are you doing most of the day, and what type of work do the associates who work with you do?" Try to get as much info as you can - like I said before, the firms' marketing materials can only tell you so much (and don't they all sort of say the same thing?).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”