Michigan 2010 OCI Callbacks

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Michigan 2010 OCI Callbacks

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:36 am

I know people are bummed out about 0 callbacks. But trust me, having callbacks and then having 0 offers is worse.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:02 am

Anonymous User wrote:I know people are bummed out about 0 callbacks. But trust me, having callbacks and then having 0 offers is worse.

Yeah, that has to be rough.

Someone should make a job guide for the current 1Ls that doesn't suck.

On the matter of markets, though, I suppose that's somewhat variable year to year. But probably not that variable, nor that unpredictable.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Perkins Coie (SF) ding. Still 0 SF callbacks with (I think?) very good WE and a well-above-median GPA. Wondering if it was SF that got me or if I just didn't "research" firms enough. (In fairness, I wasn't rattling off details about their firms to them: that just struck me as idiotic. Probably for most interviews I raised at least one point about a strong practice area or something, and I did just about every time ask a few questions about the individual interviewers.) I kind of feel like drinking heavily. I think I will mass mail heavily instead. It should at least be marginally more helpful. I wish I had done Resume Collect early. And I wish I had realized that the screening interviews weren't just a ritual for picking up transcripts and making sure people weren't obviously crazy. (Or maybe they were? Mindgames probably are not the credited reaction here.)

Anyone heard back from Paul Hastings (SF)? They're the one radio silence firm that I'm still allowing myself to hold out a little bit of hope for. They're a pretty big firm ... maybe they might give out more callbacks? Somehow, doubting it.

I got a paul hastings LA ding by email, if that helps.

mass mail didn't help at all for me in sf/sv. I started early august. Good WE, slightly above median and strong connection to bay area. Ended up with 3 callbacks total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I got a paul hastings LA ding by email, if that helps.

mass mail didn't help at all for me in sf/sv. I started early august. Good WE, slightly above median and strong connection to bay area. Ended up with 3 callbacks total.

Thanks. That does make me a little more hopeful. But I'm still going to try to mass-mail wherever I can, especially at small and mid-sized firms. (Perhaps I'll try midwest more and Cali less.)

Were the callbacks from OCI, or from mass-mailing? And what markets? If I can ask.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 18, 2010 3:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I have an offer from White & case NYC, confirmed.

When was the callback and how long after did the offer come? Also, Stats?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 18, 2010 3:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Thanks. That does make me a little more hopeful. But I'm still going to try to mass-mail wherever I can, especially at small and mid-sized firms. (Perhaps I'll try midwest more and Cali less.)

Were the callbacks from OCI, or from mass-mailing? And what markets? If I can ask.

All SF/SV. All from OCI, I had 16 cali interviews total. 1 is a bay area firm, one is based out of sf but is national, and one is a midwest firm with a small sf outpost.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 18, 2010 3:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

All SF/SV. All from OCI, I had 16 cali interviews total. 1 is a bay area firm, one is based out of sf but is national, and one is a midwest firm with a small sf outpost.

Thanks for the info. I'm still wondering why I had such a different outcome (not a single callback) despite being seemingly very similar to you (from the limited info I have.) Do you have IP? Did I just talk too much or something? Maybe I picked the wrong firms? Probably not worth the angst thinking it over too much, but it's so frustrating.

The possibility that just kills me: did I remember to mention my ties? I could have sworn that I did at least mention I was from the area in every interview. My permanent address right at the top of the resume was a California address.

Anyway, ranting aside, congratulations.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:When was the callback and how long after did the offer come? Also, Stats?

The callback was back during the first week of September. The offer came a little less than a week later. Top 20%, secondary journal, minor WE.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:When was the callback and how long after did the offer come? Also, Stats?

The callback was back during the first week of September. The offer came a little less than a week later. Top 20%, secondary journal, minor WE.

Whats WE stand for?

verdandi

Postby verdandi » Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:17 pm

Whats WE stand for?

Work experience, I presume.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:01 pm

So that's one email ding from Paul Hastings (LA). What about Paul Hastings (SF)? Sheppard Mullin (DC)? Skadden (SF)?

eta -- I'm talking about callback/no callback, rather than offer/no offer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:17 pm

Has anyone heard of any offers out of Winston (CHI)?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So that's one email ding from Paul Hastings (LA). What about Paul Hastings (SF)? Sheppard Mullin (DC)? Skadden (SF)?

eta -- I'm talking about callback/no callback, rather than offer/no offer.

yeah I haven't heard from Sheppard Mullin DC yet either, and neither has my friend. think they're just taking a while? I haven't heard of anyone getting cbs from them either...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:35 am

Did anyone with a Schiff callback in Chicago hear about an offer? I had my cb 2 weeks ago, but have not heard anything, and I thought they would have responded by now.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:59 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Thanks for the info. I'm still wondering why I had such a different outcome (not a single callback) despite being seemingly very similar to you (from the limited info I have.) Do you have IP? Did I just talk too much or something? Maybe I picked the wrong firms? Probably not worth the angst thinking it over too much, but it's so frustrating.

The possibility that just kills me: did I remember to mention my ties? I could have sworn that I did at least mention I was from the area in every interview. My permanent address right at the top of the resume was a California address.

Anyway, ranting aside, congratulations.

Yah I don't know what to tell you. It's a tough market, I think both of us would have had better/many more opportunities back in the heyday. I am not IP but I think IP is somewhat overrated. There aren't that many jobs in IP and the firms are starting to become increasingly grade conscious. Bay area firms will prefer top 20% of santa clara to above median at Michigan for IP at least. From their perspective, the brand name doesn't matter as much b/c it's really about the hard skills.

I don't really know what I did "right." I think I'm a good interviewer but I am not sure what that actually means. I did tailor my answers directly to each firm. I think the real trick is to come across as someone who is interested in and would do well in the firm's primary practice area while still maintaining an air of flexibility towards trying other things. Also, I think with interviewers who have strong personalities, who talk a lot or who basically take over the conversation, you really have to firmly intervene and take the conversation back to you. I know the first couple I did, I just kind of sat there and listened for 10-15 mins of the interview, which in retrospect was probably a wasted interview b/c the they got nothing out of it. At the same time, you have to nurture the softer personalities. Interrupting them is a huge no-no.

Ahh the mind games.

One thing that might work is to mass mail out to firms and then a week later, call the recruiting coordinator directly and talk to her (usually its a her). Have a 2 min spiel ready.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:27 pm

Yeah a lot of people are in this boat, keep your head up.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

What firm/location ?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

What firm/location ?

Congrats on the offer, but any chance you could be more specific on which firm for those of us eager to hear from NYC V50s? Thanks!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:47 pm

What firm/location ?

Congrats on the offer, but any chance you could be more specific on which firm for those of us eager to hear from NYC V50s? Thanks![/quote]

yeah that was probably worst firm description ever listed on toplawschools. Naming the firm wont "out" you...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:33 pm

anyone hear from Lane Powell?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:44 am

Just "dung" after a callback.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:46 am

Anonymous User wrote:Just "dung" after a callback.

I'm sorry to hear that. Are you holding out for some others? Also, do you mind providing which firm and when you interviewed?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Just "dung" after a callback.

I'm sorry to hear that. Are you holding out for some others? Also, do you mind providing which firm and when you interviewed?

It was a British firm, one week before being "dung"

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What firm/location ?

Congrats on the offer, but any chance you could be more specific on which firm for those of us eager to hear from NYC V50s? Thanks!

yeah that was probably worst firm description ever listed on toplawschools. Naming the firm wont "out" you...[/quote]

It will if you're the only person at the firm who got a job at your school.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:What firm/location ?

Congrats on the offer, but any chance you could be more specific on which firm for those of us eager to hear? Thanks!

yeah that was probably worst firm description ever listed on toplawschools. Naming the firm wont "out" you...[/quote]

It will if you're the only person at the firm who got a job at your school.[/quote]

uh oh, now I know who you are! You gave it away...

Return to “Legal Employment”