anyone just not that worried? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
ResolutePear

Platinum

Re: anyone just not that worried?

Post by ResolutePear » Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:19 pm

Burger in a can wrote:
northwood wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:
northwood wrote:and in some states you NEED a master degree to even land a teaching position
Always helps to go for a master's degree even if your state doesn't require it. If you work for the public school system, chances are it'll be paid, take 2 years of your time, and give you a 2-5k increase in pay.

WRONG!!!!!!!
The days of states/ districts paying for your master degree has gone. They want that degree BEFORE they hire you,
It's obviously no use arguing with ResolutePear about this. Especially if you have actually been a teacher and know how the system works.
TCR

Kobe_Teeth

Silver

Post by Kobe_Teeth » Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:29 pm

Teaching sucks. Did it for 3years at one of the worst high schools in my state. QoL for teachers can suck. Teachers get shit on day in and day out if their students do well and even when they do well you still get shit on.

Parents of bad kids guilt trip you for not doing enough.
Parents of good kids "helicopter" and try to convince you you're not good enough to be teaching their kid. (my SO experience a lot of this at her affluent public school)

Teaching can be a constant guilt trip. Its an exercise in patience. My entire life for three years revolved around me being patient. It got really fucking old. Also, briefing cases>>>>>>>>>>>>> grading essays.

For the record though, my SO loves her job. My good friends love their jobs as teachers. I did not.

Also, I do not speak for all teachers or the field of teaching in general. I taught at a shitty high school and never really wanted to be a teacher anyway.

Lastly, I heard the QoL for cops is horrible. They drink more than lawyers and beat their wives when they're done. They also deal with all the kids that I had the luxury of watching get expelled. Getting them expelled was hard enough, think how bad it is to get them in jail.

articulably suspect

Bronze

Post by articulably suspect » Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
A'nold wrote: In SOME parts of CA, ADA's and the like make like 70k.......what's your point?
ADAs? That's not entry level. The few gov jobs that even consider people with little experience, aka entry level jobs, pay 40k starting.
Is that right? San Diego County, Deputy District Attorney I (entry level): $59,716.80 - $69,139.20 Annually

articulably suspect

Bronze

Post by articulably suspect » Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:43 pm

Also, local and state goverments fill entry level positions often, at least in CA. Although the hirring has essentialy ceased, in general, due to the economy.

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:24 am

Having done it for a couple years myself, I can say that teaching is a really easy job to do OK at, but impossibly difficult to be great at. I knew people that put in 60-70 hour weeks routinely. I was not one of those people.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Burger in a can

Silver

Post by Burger in a can » Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:34 am

-
Last edited by Burger in a can on Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:18 am

Burger in a can wrote:
SBL wrote:Having done it for a couple years myself, I can say that teaching is a really easy job to do OK at, but impossibly difficult to be great at. I knew people that put in 60-70 hour weeks routinely. I was not one of those people.
Don't ban me again but aren't you like 24 years old and currently in law school? How is it possible that you taught "for a couple of years?"
I got a job through the Teach For America program and taught for 2 years following college (roughly ages 21-23, I'm 25 now).

porgie

Bronze

Post by porgie » Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:45 am

Burger in a can wrote:
SteelReserve wrote:
Sounds like you didn't want to actually be a lawyer- just earn what you thought was a lawyer's salary. That obviously was the wrong reason to go to law school, but it doesn't mean that nobody else should go. Some people actually want to be lawyers, even at $35k/year and with 30+ years of debt.
That is fair and you are absolutely right. There are doubtless people that are great fits for law, even if it means the low salaries that dominate the market these days.

And yes I did hope to earn a decent salary, something along the lines of 70-80k that my school listed as the median. And yes I thought that being top 10% and LR with a variety of legal experience throughout school would mean I would actually have some bites in employment asides from clerkships.

But the rewarding government jobs start at 30-40k in most states, and the more important part is that in many states those jobs don't even have open positions for anyone. I agree that if you have passion for the law it is worth it, but for me, I find no enjoyment in sitting at the computer screen pushing paper and contemplating whether R. 52-973C(d) can apply if the defense filed a motion seven days ago and not 15 days ....

So I ask, what is it that makes you certain you will enjoy being a lawyer at a low salary?
I'm not certain of this and never claimed to be. I was saying that it seemed like you didn't want to be a lawyer. When I hear people give advice here like "you should just be an engineer, or a doctor, or a fireman, etc." I know that advice is coming from people who didn't want to be lawyers.

Also, I was a teacher. 30-40k sounds pretty great to me.
which state did you work in? In CA, teachers can make well over $70K. Considering it costs far less and takes less time to become a teacher, it's probably a better option than becoming a lawyer for many people.

Burger in a can

Silver

Post by Burger in a can » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:06 pm

Last edited by Burger in a can on Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:14 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Burger in a can

Silver

Post by Burger in a can » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:08 pm

SBL wrote: I got a job through the Teach For America program and taught for 2 years following college (roughly ages 21-23, I'm 25 now).
Oh I see.

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:09 pm

Burger in a can wrote:
SBL wrote: I got a job through the Teach For America program and taught for 2 years following college (roughly ages 21-23, I'm 25 now).
Oh I see.
Yep. Emergency credentialing FTW. Getting a masters in education, considering I don't particularly want to teach for 20 years, just didn't seem like a logical thing to do.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”